HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 3:47 AM
The Vomit Bag.

City of discontent would be more apt.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 5:04 PM

I'm sorry, what a terrible song lol

I mean I don't mind some dubstep, but..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Have you guys heard "London is the City of Opportunity" yet?
Here's the story:
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2...-19237356.html

What a horrible idea, creating a song for the sole purpose of promotion, and pretending that everything is just swell in the city of opportunity!
Sounds like they're copying what St. Thomas did a couple of years ago. At least St. Thomas didn't pretend all was well.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

20% more life...in st. Thomas?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:01 PM
User Registered

...And another spinoff:

Video Link

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 8:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Hitler: "What the fuck is this bullshit!!?" "Imagine a city where the river runs through it!!" "Just another thing for the people of K-W to rub in our faces!!"

I kinda hope Fontana pulls a Hitler in regards to this retarded song.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 11:52 AM

I used to see people use clips from this movie to make World of Warcraft jokes lol.

Anyways, this movie, Downfall, is an exceptional movie, I had to buy it. Bruno Ganz played an exceptional Hitler.

Is Joe Fontana somewhat dictatorial or something? lol

I know people think Windsor's mayor Eddie Francis does what he wants, but hey he's getting things done, which feels great in a city that has squandered alot of time bickering about what we could do as a city, but not moving on any ideas.

Fontana seems like a mover & shaker, having a big vision and trying to get things done, no?

Funny vid!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:05 PM

Fontana is definitely more gung-ho than Anne-Marie was but I feel like he's still trying to find his own in the job. Eddie is a bit of a dictatorial king but since he gets things done, he's not criticized as much as he could be for it (plus it helps that he always has city council's full support). I think Fontana is still struggling with getting council on board with him at times.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 10:32 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Anyways, this movie, Downfall, is an exceptional movie, I had to buy it. Bruno Ganz played an exceptional Hitler.

He did, but if you speak German then you'll notice he has a bit of a weird accent. I'm tempted to say Swiss, but it could be Austrian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I know people think Windsor's mayor Eddie Francis does what he wants, but hey he's getting things done, which feels great in a city that has squandered alot of time bickering about what we could do as a city, but not moving on any ideas.

Fontana seems like a mover & shaker, having a big vision and trying to get things done, no?
That is exactly what Fontana's problem is. He's trying to mimic Eddie Francis to some extent, which is fine since Francis is a decent mayor, but he has to contend with a council that does not share his vision. For example, my local councillor, Joni Baechler, is well-known for trying to kill development initiatives and replace them with taxpayer-funded social causes. I believe it is Judy Bryant and Denise Brown who complete the "Killer B's" triumvirate, but plenty of other councillors are known for being overly cautious and avoiding proposals because they require investments.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 PM

I believe that Fontana does have a vision for London that he would like to see (though no all agreeable like $600k projector show), something that DiCicco never had, whose was looking more of the mushy middle ground to appease everyone.

Unfortunately Fontana's plans are getting snipped from both sides of council. As Wharn mentioned there's the anti-development wing of council, Baechler and Bryant that are against London being anything that a small quiet, peaceful town. To them development and economic prosperity mean a bigger, louder London different that their small minded visions, so they nix a lot of sensible initiatives.

On the otherside, Fontana has backed himself into a corner with no tax pledge and is try to skirt the pledge with this 1% economic levy. While I believe it should be used for transportation infrastructure as well as downtown revitalization projects, its getting shot down by Van Meerbergen and Polhill who are against any increased revenues to see such project.

That with the string of layoffs, EMD lockout and poor job numbers have many with lots to fear but with no solutions or innovations to them. Increased development while costly is something that the city needs desperately.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:51 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Not sure if you guys are interested in this, but I've added some more maps to my urban planning thread!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192956

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:08 AM
User Registered

Looks like there's a new London forum on the net... Let's hope it does better than LoveLondon!

http://www.betterlondon.ca/

Free press article: http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../20077456.html

We do a lot of that stuff here, and then some

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:44 AM
Torontonian Refugee

A lot of those ideas have been floating around the London Local for years, although agreed, we tend to dream of grander things. It remains to be seen whether this website will actually accomplish tangible results, or if it will end up like this place: a dozen or so people bitching about how nothing works

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:43 PM
User Registered

lol dude visits the wrong London:

http://www.wgrz.com/video/default.as...=1768908793001

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^haha.

Should have come by during Ribfest. I was there most of Monday.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 7:12 PM

That was good - and no bashing of the City either. He really seemed to actually enjoy his time in London, Canada

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 8:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

took the family to Fanshawe Pioneer Village. Much better than I thought it would be.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
took the family to Fanshawe Pioneer Village. Much better than I thought it would be.
What? MolsonExport actually found an attraction in London that he liked!

But seriously that's great, I'm glad to hear! Been on many a field trip there as a youngin' and I have good memories of it.

On a related note, Doors Open London is coming up again soon. I think this event really helps to demonstrate that London does indeed have many interesting historical buildings, sights and museums, and a thriving artistic and cultural community. Unfortunately many of these places are "hidden gems" that are too often forgotten.

http://www.doorsopenlondon.ca/home/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Anyone else notice that streetview has been updated for London and area?

It's weird though, because some of the shots were done in August, but some must have been done in the early spring or something. For example, from certain locations the Renaissance is clearly topped out, while at others it it only a few stories tall.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Anyone else notice that streetview has been updated for London and area?

It's weird though, because some of the shots were done in August, but some must have been done in the early spring or something. For example, from certain locations the Renaissance is clearly topped out, while at others it it only a few stories tall.
Yep, it came live sometime last week - and not only London, but the majority of North America has been updated. I was quite surprised, I seen the first Streetview cars in 2009, but never stumbled upon their 2011/2012 drives.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation