HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Speaking of the part between Trim Road and Rockland, does anyone know (or has anyone wondered) why back in the days MTO constructed Highway 417 from scratch instead of just twinning 17 along Ottawa River? From the discussion, it seems that if the latter were done instead, traffic on that segment wouldn't have been that much of a gong show today.
I've always wondered that too. I think I've read before that the southern alignment via Casselman was cheaper. Another possibility is that it made the connection to Cornwall via Highway 138 quicker.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I've always wondered that too. I think I've read before that the southern alignment via Casselman was cheaper. Another possibility is that it made the connection to Cornwall via Highway 138 quicker.
It's such an indirect routing too.

They could have opted for the Russell Road corridor for a good bit going east, then skirted up towards Caledonia Springs and Vankleek Hill, and then meet up with where the 17 and 417 become one road today.

This route would have more direct than either the 17 or 417 routings, wasn't necessarily more built up, and also avoids the Larose Forest and Alfred Bog sensitive areas.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:31 PM

If they had built the 417 along the 17 corridor it would have made for an interesting change in development patterns. The sprawl we're currently seeing in places like Embrun and Limoges probably wouldn't have happened (as their access to the city would be much shittier). The cluster of big box stores at the junction of Innes and the 417 probably would have never been built; in its place the Gloucester Centre would likely be more developed. Rockland and Cumberland would probably be far bigger than they are today, with Cumberland likely becoming a sort of 'extension' of Orleans much like how Stittsville became an extension of Kanata. It's even possible that Barrhaven and Riverside South would be less developed than they are today, as the east end areas of Orleans, Cumberland, etc. would have been able to grow more.

I'm not sure if that would be a better world or a worse one.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:24 PM

There was some discussion on this 417 alignment on another thread (or maybe this one way way back). As it is, we probably have an extra 20 minutes of driving due to the routing of 417/40.

In the previous discussion, I found it interesting...Someone mentioned, the 417 route was chosen with Cornwall in mind and on the Quebec Side, the 40 routing was chosen with a bridge at Pointe-Fortune in mind to connect to highway 50.

Both decisions resulted in this loopy longer route we have which I figure is about 15-20 extra minutes travel time.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
There was some discussion on this 417 alignment on another thread (or maybe this one way way back). As it is, we probably have an extra 20 minutes of driving due to the routing of 417/40.

In the previous discussion, I found it interesting...Someone mentioned, the 417 route was chosen with Cornwall in mind and on the Quebec Side, the 40 routing was chosen with a bridge at Pointe-Fortune in mind to connect to highway 50.

Both decisions resulted in this loopy longer route we have which I figure is about 15-20 extra minutes travel time.
That makes sense for the Ontario routing that dips southward, but not for the Quebec routing which is built fairly close to the historic Montreal-Ottawa road near the river. (There was talk of a bridge at Pointe-Fortune it is true, but that's not the main reason for the routing.)

That old Montreal-Ottawa road was known as Highway 17 in both provinces (yes Ontario and Quebec had highway numbers in common at one point).

Quebec built the A-40 to the Ontario border as early as 1966. From the border it followed the old Quebec Highway 17 routing for quite some distance, and then A-40 veers a bit to the northeast to the big bridge at Vaudreuil.

The old Quebec Highway 17 used to continue along a more southeastern route into Vaudreuil and Dorion, where it met up with the highway coming in from Toronto, and then the road went into Montreal.

Ontario did not build the divided Highway 417 across rural Eastern Ontario until a decade or more after Quebec completed A-40 to the border in 1966. And so for many years the drive from Ottawa to Montreal was on the four-lane Queensway (Highway 17) to the Montreal Road, exit, then a two lane Highway 17 through Orleans, Cumberland, Rockland, etc. to the Quebec border at Pointe-Fortune where the A-40 expressway started. The new Highway 417 was only completed by Ontario in the mid to late 70s I think.

Another interesting fact is that there for a long time there was a highway numbered as "2" that went all the way from southern Ontario, across Quebec down to Edmundston, across NB and into NS. All with the same number.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:38 PM

When you look at a map the alignment of the 417 makes sense up to Casselman. If they had it go through Alexandria/Vaudreuil it would be as direct as you can get. However that would potentially have meant ignoring the stretch of 40 running along the Ottawa river entirely.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That makes sense for the Ontario routing that dips southward, but not for the Quebec routing which is built fairly close to the historic Montreal-Ottawa road near the river. (There was talk of a bridge at Pointe-Fortune it is true, but that's not the main reason for the routing.)

That old Montreal-Ottawa road was known as Highway 17 in both provinces (yes Ontario and Quebec had highway numbers in common at one point).

Quebec built the A-40 to the Ontario border as early as 1966. From the border it followed the old Quebec Highway 17 routing for quite some distance, and then A-40 veers a bit to the northeast to the big bridge at Vaudreuil.

The old Quebec Highway 17 used to continue along a more southeastern route into Vaudreuil and Dorion, where it met up with the highway coming in from Toronto, and then the road went into Montreal.

Ontario did not build the divided Highway 417 across rural Eastern Ontario until a decade or more after Quebec completed A-40 to the border in 1966. And so for many years the drive from Ottawa to Montreal was on the four-lane Queensway (Highway 17) to the Montreal Road, exit, then a two lane Highway 17 through Orleans, Cumberland, Rockland, etc. to the Quebec border at Pointe-Fortune where the A-40 expressway started. The new Highway 417 was only completed by Ontario in the mid to late 70s I think.

Another interesting fact is that there for a long time there was a highway numbered as "2" that went all the way from southern Ontario, across Quebec down to Edmundston, across NB and into NS. All with the same number.
I believe the idea of the Pointe Fortune bridge was to connect to Mirabel Airport. That became redundant when Mirabel ceased to be Montreal's International Airport. Highway 40 was part of the big push to prepare for Expo 67.

Highway 417 construction began in 1969 near Ramsayville and was completed in 1976 with the connection to the Queensway and the Aviation Parkway, the so called Split.

Another interesting tidbit about Highway 2 is that it was twinned back in the late 40s through what is now the Thousand Island Parkway. This was one of the first sections of divided highway, which would have become the 401. There was a change of heart and the divided highway was never finished but you can still see this in its entirety. One side of the road I believe is now a bike pathway.

Another interesting fact is that there was never a Highway 1 in Ontario. There is no definitive answer as to why but many believe that it was political, that if a Highway 1 was designated, every town and city would have wanted to be on it.

Interesting facts about the Ontario's King's Highway network can be found at http://www.thekingshighway.ca/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
When you look at a map the alignment of the 417 makes sense up to Casselman. If they had it go through Alexandria/Vaudreuil it would be as direct as you can get. However that would potentially have meant ignoring the stretch of 40 running along the Ottawa river entirely.
You're right. It makes sense if you were starting to build a highway from scratch from Ottawa to the Point de l'Ïle aux Tourtes at Vaudreuil onto Montreal island.

But when you think of it, it didn't really make sense to build it that at the time when they did when Quebec had already gotten to the border first at Pointe-Fortune, where the only highway that the 417 could link up with was located.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 5:36 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
If they had built the 417 along the 17 corridor it would have made for an interesting change in development patterns. The sprawl we're currently seeing in places like Embrun and Limoges probably wouldn't have happened (as their access to the city would be much shittier). The cluster of big box stores at the junction of Innes and the 417 probably would have never been built; in its place the Gloucester Centre would likely be more developed. Rockland and Cumberland would probably be far bigger than they are today, with Cumberland likely becoming a sort of 'extension' of Orleans much like how Stittsville became an extension of Kanata. It's even possible that Barrhaven and Riverside South would be less developed than they are today, as the east end areas of Orleans, Cumberland, etc. would have been able to grow more.

I'm not sure if that would be a better world or a worse one.
LOLOL I guess that, in that case, traffic on 417 would have been like that on 401 through Mississauga (read: Clearance-Rockland) + Toronto (Read: Gloucestor) + Oshawa (Read: Downtown Ottawa) then.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
LOLOL I guess that, in that case, traffic on 417 would have been like that on 401 through Mississauga (read: Clearance-Rockland) + Toronto (Read: Gloucestor) + Oshawa (Read: Downtown Ottawa) then.
Watch out! He's laughing out loud out loud!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation