HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 1:38 AM

755 Wonderland Road South - Westmount Mall redevelopment (Approved)

'Dynamic': $556M six-tower development proposed for Westmount mall

The new owner of Westmount Mall, or as they are calling it now "Westmount Commons", has come forward with their application for redeveloping the property.

6 new towers, most built directly on top of the existing mall structure, ranging in height from 6m to 61m. Would include nearly 900 housing units, 40,000m2 of office space and 17,000m2 of retail space. Is estimated to be constructed over the next 20-30 years.

The renderings show a very interesting architectural style for the redevelopment, as well as what appears to be new development in replacement of the existing Cineplex movie theatre.

There doesn't appear to be a planning application submitted yet, I will update this post with a link once it becomes available.

Last edited by Spoofy; Oct 29, 2022 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 4:38 AM

Definitely "interesting" looking...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 1:35 PM

This has the smell of a pump and dump zoning application. We've seen a few of these zoning applications before with so called developers getting zoning changed on a property then flipping it for a profit. ie: the twin 15s towers on Springbank and the twin 24s towers on Dundas.

Looking at this McCor company they appear to be a Property Management business first and also don't appear to have any residential holdings.

The other thing that makes this smell funny is their 20-30 year time frame. What's up with that? Given Westmount Mall is effectively a white elephant now the proposal looks good but I don't understand their timeline at all.

I would not be at all surprised to see this sold off after getting the zoning application approved. Hopefully I'm wrong and we see major construction activity within the next 2 years.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 2:52 PM
User Registered

Looks Fugly as all hell but I will support it. It's a big underutilized site with a lot of potential- may as well make use out of it!

Another pic

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 3:49 PM

This looks like something a kid designs on a Sim game or something. Surely they would have to actually do some work to the mall to be able to drop something like that on top of it, and I'm sure in that process, the mall wouldn't look exactly like it does now afterwards.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 5:55 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
This looks like something a kid designs on a Sim game or something. Surely they would have to actually do some work to the mall to be able to drop something like that on top of it, and I'm sure in that process, the mall wouldn't look exactly like it does now afterwards.
Especially with the parts that have 2 levels of underground parking blelow it. Most of the remaining mall is on top of this, with the exception of the now separated SuperKing Asian grocery store, a couple clothing stores, and the cineplex.

Can the supports that were originally built handle that kind of extra weight? Perhaps they need to be strengthened/enhanced. Still, its likely much easier and cheaper to do that since all the foundation work is done, and you even have some utilities from the mall already there to boot!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 6:57 PM

Seems weird with all the parking out front. Also, 20 to 30 years? I don't buy it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Looks Fugly as all hell but I will support it. It's a big underutilized site with a lot of potential- may as well make use out of it!

Another pic

This is crazy looking. You'd think they'd reno the mall exterior when they put the Qbert maze on top.

Weirdest ever rendering on SSP.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 6:58 PM

My thoughts too. Hopefully the renderings are just conceptual, and if not, hopefully they at least somehow modernize the existing brickwork.

Love the concept of the proposal though... taking an existing underutilized mall and turning it into a mixed-use village.

I agree with ssiguy re: the parking lot situation. It does seem weird. If that much parking is needed, I personally would love to see maybe a parking tower on one of the lots, that way, the rest of the parking area can be developed upon.

As it's shown in the rendering, the area certainly does not look pedestrian friendly. Say, if someone living in the complex wanted to walk to the sidewalk on Wonderland or Viscount, they would have to walk across the huge parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:09 PM

Love the idea of the development, but wow is this a bad rendering they felt like sharing.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It's official. This proposal is a Westmonstrosity.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 4:05 PM

There is so much land there. It makes no sense to me why they would not demo that mall and move the tenants to new buildings on the site and do a master plan for the whole site. It could become something wonderful, like a West 5 or main street type of development. There is no way this concrete diarrhea is approved by council.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 4:11 PM

Like this type of development (in Philly). Integrated housing, shops and offices.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:41 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
There is so much land there. It makes no sense to me why they would not demo that mall and move the tenants to new buildings on the site and do a master plan for the whole site. It could become something wonderful, like a West 5 or main street type of development. There is no way this concrete diarrhea is approved by council.
I think it might be due to the underground parking/infrastructure below the mall itself? You could tear down the mall sure but you'd have to build something in it's place... and the only thing that would fit on a lot that size is... well another mall lol - so you may as well keep the existing mall.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 9:05 PM

Love it. Kind of strange to see the building get developed first before the parking lots, but I think it makes sense given the state of Wesmount Mall. The massive two-storey underground parking garage also makes sense to take advantage of instead of building new towers in the existing parking lots with new parking garages underneath. The big question is to what extent the existing foundation and structure can accommodate these new buildings.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 10:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The rendering looks extremely Siberian. Something that only A-M deCicco-Worst could love. Will compliment the general dreariness of London during the winter months with the grey skies and sooty snow.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 7:47 PM

Planning application has officially been submitted to the city.

https://london.ca/sites/default/file...ad%20South.pdf

Here is the application page which feature more stuff such as the developer's planning report, traffic study, more renderings (yes, same ones they gave to the free press ), and other documents

https://london.ca/business-developme...815-wonderland

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 3:54 AM

Last edited by Spoofy; Oct 10, 2023 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 11:03 AM

I would think the theatres and the restaurants at the corner would be amenities that would make living in one of these buildings more desirable. Restaurants could be incorporated into the street level of a new building right on that corner (although that doesn't do those particular businesses any good for the 2 or 3 years they would be closed), but the cinema would be cool to keep. It would also serve as a bit of a buffer to the neighbourhood to the west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates