HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 10:49 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
is nobody concerned or upset that 99% of this is suburban stuff you can find in any other city?

There isn't much we can do about this, all of this stuff will happen. Why complain about it, if we can't change it?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 11:38 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
There isn't much we can do about this, all of this stuff will happen. Why complain about it, if we can't change it?
That is the wrong attitude - things are changing all over the country, but like usual, San Antonio is half a generation behind. Why are we CELEBRATING that on a forum such as this?

Perhaps because there's simply not enough actual urban development going on. If you think that San Antonio should continue to rape and pillage the beautiful Hill Country, then fine, but I refuse to ever condone it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 12:13 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
That is the wrong attitude - things are changing all over the country, but like usual, San Antonio is half a generation behind. Why are we CELEBRATING that on a forum such as this?
Changing how exactly? And if it's changing so much and SA is so many years behind then why would you say in your earlier post that the stuff posted was "suburban stuff you can find in any other city." But again, what exactly is changing? Suburban sprawl hasn't stopped or changed, maybe you meant something else?

Quote:
Perhaps because there's simply not enough actual urban development going on.
Or perhaps instead of creating a new thread for every single development one single thread was started to list everything. I don't like your attitude towards San Antonio, I don't know how to describe it, the way you treat the city on this forum. But I doubt you're in other forums chastising threads or posts that feature suburban developments. If you are fair in that regard to everyone, I'd love to see links to those threads but I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 12:29 AM

dont forget creekside (1.5-2 million sqft mixed use), and sundance (former golf course being developed by kunts/mccombs) in new braunfels

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttwentyeight View Post
dont forget creekside (1.5-2 million sqft mixed use), and sundance (former golf course being developed by kunts/mccombs) in new braunfels
I listed Creekside, it's the second to last one listed. I mistakenly had it listed as Westcreek... lol

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 2:16 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Well, sprawl will only happen if you allow it to. Of course you can't halt development or even stifle it, that's where the phrase free market comes from. However, you can set up guidelines to promote smart growth, urban development and you can ban certain construction practices and materials. You can also set up regional guidelines that make it so that a certain area of land has to be developed first before any further development can take place in a metro area. Portland, Oregon has this in place. Developers there have to squeeze in projects to an allotted area before further development can happen. This creates continuous, dense development and allows infrastructure time to catch up such as roads and rail. It also sets up funds for those forms of transportation. Just think of it this way, a city isn't going to provide higher capacity roads, bus service or rail service for a few spotty developments on the city's fringes since it wouldn't make economic sense to cater to those few spotty projects. However, fill in that area with projects that are dense and set up a fund to pay for that transportation, and it would be economical. This cuts down on sprawl, promotes density and improves transportation doing away with traffic jams.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 2:29 AM

If you look at an aerial of San Antonio you'll see these aren't developments being built with miles of empty undeveloped land surrounding them. The only one I can think that would fit that bill is the Steven's Ranch shopping center but that's being built as part of a 6,000 home masterplanned community which is also next to an under construction 5,000 home masterplanned community (Redbird Ranch).

These developments are being build in small undeveloped pockets between housing. It's sprawl yes, but it's not isolated sprawl.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 3:15 AM
James

Oh wow, my comment got quoted many times. I'm talking about these ^^^^^^ developments, of course there is plenty to do to stop more from popping up everywhere. But why complain about THESE.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 4:56 PM
The Space Pope

Quote:

Perhaps because there's simply not enough actual urban development going on. If you think that San Antonio should continue to rape and pillage the beautiful Hill Country, then fine, but I refuse to ever condone it.
You mean the way you celebrate, condone and encourage Austin's similar rape of the Hill Country?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 5:18 PM

Following up on the sprawl discussion, my question is about the water supply for the area municipalities.
I know that water is a big topic in discussion about California growth, and parts of even the wettest states like Florida have watering restrictions during times of drought. How adequate is the water supply in San Antonio and the Hill Country (and Austin, for that matter) to handle significant growth ?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:54 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
You mean the way you celebrate, condone and encourage Austin's similar rape of the Hill Country?
Well, I was going to make a post, but Mozilla crashed so I lost what I was going to post.

But as I recall, one of the reasons arbeiter left Austin was that he didn't like the sprawl of Texas. And believe me, I doubt he condones sprawl in the Hill Country, (near Austin or not). I don't either. As someone who loves nature, loves to hike, bike and rock climb, it angers me. I'm most upset about the Hill Country Galleria on Texas 71 in Bee Caves in Southwestern Travis County. My brother and I rock climb in Reimer's Ranch Park. This was a family owned ranch that had been in the family since the 1880s. They sold the ranch to Travis County so that it could be turned into a park. It's a 2,500 acre park in a very remote area of the county. I can't imagine why anyone would want to live that far out. We live 7 miles from downtown, driving distance, (5 miels as the crow flies). It takes us no less than 35 minutes to get to Reimer's Ranch. It's at least 10 miles from Texas 71 and there is NO development out there. Just ranch land. The road winds and turns and goes up and down the hills. The park itself is incredibly beautiful. You'd never guess that such a place exists in Central Texas. As you enter the park you drive down a 1 mile road which goes way up on a hill then back down. The views are incredible. Packsaddle Mountain which is a 1,500 foot in elevation mountain, (rises 600 feet above the area), is located in Llano County some 25 miles away, and you can see it from the park. There's hiking, biking, swimming in the Pedernales River and rock climbing on the cliffs which are up to 100 feet tall. As you take the trail down into the hiking area and rock climbing it drops in elevation by about 50 feet. There are overhanging cliffs and caves. Cypress trees, and different mosses. The temperature there drops 25 degrees. There's a creek, and a waterfall. In the caves which are just cliff overhangs, there are stalactites. The place is truly special. The 2003 version of The Alamo was filmed on the ranch across the river and the set is still there.

Travis County's page for Reimer's Ranch Park.
http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/reimers_ranch.asp

Sorry for the rant, but this is the kind of stuff that deserves protection. People in Austin and San Antonio are truly lucky that we live in such a stunningly beautiful region like Central and South Texas. We shouldn't take it for granted. Anyway, this thread is a compilation thread, some chit chat about sprawl is fine, but I don't think sirkingwilliam wanted it to deviate from the focus of the projects, and rightly so, it should stick to that subject.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 8:17 PM
The Space Pope

^^^
I totally understand but what I was trying to point out was his abject self-righteousnous when it came to Austin over San Antonio.......both of which are similar in many aspects.....imo anyway. If I had the time/energy to be half the troll he is I would dig up some ancient postings to prove my point. Alas I'm not that dedicated........not even for the sake of argument because I myself am anti-sprawl and I detest the way our city council by request of the 1997 "Review for bringing SA into the 21st century" was pushing for headquarters to be located downtown while at the sametime giving ginormous taxbreaks to companies to relocate to suburban campuses. Sorry for my rant.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 8:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
^^^
I totally understand but what I was trying to point out was his abject self-righteousnous when it came to Austin over San Antonio.......both of which are similar in many aspects.....imo anyway. If I had the time/energy to be half the troll he is I would dig up some ancient postings to prove my point. Alas I'm not that dedicated........not even for the sake of argument because I myself am anti-sprawl and I detest the way our city council by request of the 1997 "Review for bringing SA into the 21st century" was pushing for headquarters to be located downtown while at the sametime giving ginormous taxbreaks to companies to relocate to suburban campuses. Sorry for my rant.
That's understandable. As a moderator now it's my job to not allow certain posts, ones that bash a city or personally attack someone. As a result, I read every new post made on the forum in this section and other Texas related threads/posts to screen for them. If I ever miss anything, or if you feel like someone is out of line, always feel free to send me a PM about it, and I'll look into it. This doesn't mean however that any time someone has a negative view of a place that their post should be deleted. Obviously there are cases when it's just personal opinion, and that's fine.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 8:44 AM

A 700,000 square foot retail center is planned for 1604 and Marbach. I'll update as more information is made available.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 11:21 PM
James

Are there any updates on any new projects?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:16 AM

New development I just found
Eisenhauer Plaza- 5029 Eisenhauer RD at Midcrown just East of I-35 and south of Walzem. Even though it's a strip center the design is really nice, and a change from the 70's chic of the surrounding area.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 4:31 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
^^^
I totally understand but what I was trying to point out was his abject self-righteousnous when it came to Austin over San Antonio.......both of which are similar in many aspects.....imo anyway.
You are so off-base, it's not even funny. One of the things I do, almost ad infinitum, on Austin threads is constantly criticize the sprawl and lack of progressive development. I give Austin a harder time than San Antonio, but Austin wears its "liberal" credentials on its sleeve. I completely agree that the cities are similar in many aspects, but in key areas, Austin is quite ahead of SA. it's just the truth. When you get the level of infill, high-rises being built, and at least a small commuter rail system, then you'll be in the same league. If you really liked your hometown, you'd give it a harder time, instead of being a hollow booster. Kevin will tell you, I am probably one of Austin's biggest critics on here, but I doubt he could come up with something I said that was just plain wrong.

You might think I am a troll, but I am always basing whatever I say on very specific goals and ideals that I hold to be important for myself.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 11:22 PM
Meh

kool maudit posted a thread the other day in 'City Discussions' titled: "love haters", funny title, but it dealt with asking people to state what they love and hate about their city.

The link to the thread:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=135999

And what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
For Austin.

Love the culture, the music, creativity of the city's citizens and the encouragement of art in just about any form. Love the progressive/forward thinking views. Love the acceptance of different people. Love the parks. Love that the city is mindful of nature and the environment, recycles and supports green building. Love the scenic topography of the region. Generally love the weather, especially our spring and fall seasons. LOVE the food.

Hate the traffic, the sprawl which is encroaching on the Hill Country. Generally dislike hot weather, though I can stand it, but hate the humidity of late spring/early summer. Hate that there's no better alternative to roads, we need more rail transit. Lightrail in the city, street cars and a high speed commuter train between Austin and San Antonio. Our highways need updating, (I-35 is 50 years old). I hate and fear the idea of Austin becoming just like every other city in America. Need more affordable housing in downtown, something below $200,000 would be nice.

It's ok to be critical of your city. Infact it's a positive thing to be negative about the negative things about your city, or even of another city that you happen to care about. It gets the city officials to do their jobs.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:53 PM

SA: The Rim, Shops at La Cantera, La Joya and The Landmark Updates

These are very recent aerials requested by developers Fulcrum Group and Galo Properties which showcase not only their The Landmark land/site as well as The Shops at La Cantera, The Rim and La Joya in far northwest SA.

The Shops at La Cantera, The Rim, La Joya and The Landmark (aerial)

The Shops at La Cantera, The Rim, La Joya and The Landmark (aerial)

The Landmark and La Joya (aerial)

The Rim (posted before)

The Landmark (posted before)

La Joya (posted before)

As you can see in the second aerial, Vance Jackson is being extended to 1604 from The Rim and will be the La Joya/The Landmark extention with an overpass at 1604.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:29 PM

Are the old threads getting deleted? Just curious as to why new threads are created for already posted projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio