HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 2:21 PM

I think I'll stay away!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 3:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
According to the Greenspoint Chamber of Commerce, Greenspoint has a 2005 population of 185,000 in the 12 square miles....nearly all cheap apartment complexes and a couple of suburban neighborhoods. You have to get off of the freeways to see the dense neighborhoods. The area is surprisingly walkable (i guess it has to be since people here are really poor with no cars).

I grew up in that area.....it is no place for a child to live. The area is roughly 80% Hispanic and African American and drugs are a HUGE plague within this community. The promised mixed-use developments planned for the area should help.
Sounds like you're saying there's something wrong with an area being 80 percent Hispanic and African American. Also, the people in the area may be poor, but they do have cars.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 3:26 PM

It's not the people, it's what the people are doing. The pictures may not show the grit, but it is a rough area.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 3:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Just hearing "Bush Intercontinental" makes me shudder.
I don't know if it's any consolation, but the airport is named after George Bush senior.

I liked it better when it was simply named Houston Intercontinental Airport. When it was being built in the 60s, when the main airport was still on the other side of town, it was going to be named Jetero (accent on second syllable) but it didn't fly (pun intended).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 6:03 PM

Nice effort on the tour, but no thanks. I detest Greenspoint... all the sprawl of a Sugar Land, without any of the benefits. I think I'll just stay inside the city where its safe

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 6:09 PM

Lol...I'm moving close to Greenspoint maybe in Greenspoint..i'm not sure yet but i'm just moving to an apartment since it's cheap..but the many times I've been to Greenspoint it wasn't that bad but then again I was going there for reasons like talking to females and buying some u know what..lol and yeah they still call Greenspoint Gunspoint..it wouldn't be my first choice as far as residing there for good..but just a temp. thing

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 7:41 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper6 View Post
I don't know if it's any consolation, but the airport is named after George Bush senior.

I liked it better when it was simply named Houston Intercontinental Airport. When it was being built in the 60s, when the main airport was still on the other side of town, it was going to be named Jetero (accent on second syllable) but it didn't fly (pun intended).
I believe that most of the Houston residents still refer to it as Houston Intercontinental Airport. The residents of the city did not vote on the name change.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 9:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
I believe that most of the Houston residents still refer to it as Houston Intercontinental Airport. The residents of the city did not vote on the name change.
That's good to know.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 11:49 PM
"the irish-mexican"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
I grew up in that area.....it is no place for a child to live. The area is roughly 80% Hispanic and African American and drugs are a HUGE plague within this community. The promised mixed-use developments planned for the area should help.
Can't forget the white boys with gold teeth trying to be black.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper6 View Post
Sounds like you're saying there's something wrong with an area being 80 percent Hispanic and African American. Also, the people in the area may be poor, but they do have cars.
Of course not! I am an African American and I was just noting my disappointment with how drugs have caused decay within the Greenspoint community. I can also personally attest to the fact that many residents there do not have their own vehicles. The Metro ridership there is high, not because people love buses, but because it is the only option for many.

My family left the Greenspoint area 7 years ago for suburban Cypress, TX. I can honestly say that any suburb is better than that area.....and thats saying something.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 4:44 AM
Dryer lint inspector

yay...gunspoint! cool buildings but it is a pretty shitty area.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 5:13 AM

I really like seeing pictures of the average and nice looking parts of Houston. I have to say Houston is under represented in that regard. Most of the Houston photo threads are pictures of inner-city power-lines and potholes, and they tend to have that odd orange tint. Not the good CSI Miami orange tent either, but something rather unhealthy looking.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 5:26 AM

It's amazing how those powerlines can almost look beautiful across an open farm field but look absolutely horrible in suburban settings.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 10:24 PM

Greenspoint does have a high crime rate, but its definitely A LOT lower than other areas in Houston such as 5th Ward aka the "bloody nickel", or even Southwest Houston.

I went to school for 2 years just north of Greenspoint & never once felt unsafe in the area & I'm white.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 2:53 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
I really like seeing pictures of the average and nice looking parts of Houston. I have to say Houston is under represented in that regard. Most of the Houston photo threads are pictures of inner-city power-lines and potholes, and they tend to have that odd orange tint. Not the good CSI Miami orange tent either, but something rather unhealthy looking.
It all has to do with how a particular forumer wants to portray a city. Some are fascinated with power lines and like to put orange tints to photographs. But some of the same photographers have posted some really beautiful photos of Houston.

It's easy to make any city look good or bad with select photos. Even with as good of a reputation as Austin has, I could easily post 20 photos that would make it look like the grimmest place in the country.

You've made a good observation. Thanks for bringng that up.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
(btw, what lead to your relocation to Houston, Michi?)
Three equations really:
Michigan + Economy (- Michigan) = Texas
Michigan + Jobs (- Michigan) = Texas
Detroit - Detroit = Houston + Detroit
900,000 - 900,000 = 2,000,000 + 900,000 (= 2,900,000)

Ok, that makes no sense, but you get my point!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 2:14 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Yah, the only thing I like about Greenspoint are the fun freeway bridges to drive over. Other than that, it's a bit doomed...other than its proximity to the airport. Isn't Haliburton over there too? Ugg.
Evil Empire! Evil Empire!

(This coming from a Schlumberger employee, of course! )

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Just hearing "Bush Intercontinental" makes me shudder.
Me to. The first Bush though, so it isn't that bad. Most call it "The Big Airport" though.

Greenspoint has gotten better over the years though. It's where the Carolina Panthers stayed during the Super Bowl four years ago. Don't think the city would put them there unless the area was cleaned up.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:35 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Weird! nice pics though.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:52 PM
on the south side

Stayed at the Wyndam Greenspoint many times because of its proximity to the Airport.

The Greenspoint Mall across the street looks scaarry!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos