HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Youse gotta problem with that?
schuylkillyards
“As we continue to make our vision for Schuylkill Yards a reality, a set of guiding principles has remained at the forefront of our design approach: be courageous, creative and bold," - @brandywinerealty CEO, Jerry Sweeney
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1g0ZVRjK10/

This sentiment goes along with Sweeney's comments in Inga's article--basically saying, the blue-glass skyscraper, corporate tower will not be a part of SY moving forward, and that is exciting. Sweeney believes to attract young bio-tech, tech firms, new pharma, etc -- means bold architecture. Good for him!

Imagining the red cubes here next to Cira.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1FCw5ngqoK/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:42 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Gerald Sweeney is definitely onto something here with his quoted sentiments above...and I like it. If we are going to build new and designate SY as the new place to be (both commercially and residentially), then swing for the fences...stand out with design and be bold in color, material, shape, and ground interactive choices...It's a no-brainer when you have a clean slate to work with.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Gerald Sweeney is definitely onto something here with his quoted sentiments above...and I like it. If we are going to build new and designate SY as the new place to be (both commercially and residentially), then swing for the fences...stand out with design and be bold in color, material, shape, and ground interactive choices...It's a no-brainer when you have a clean slate to work with.
Completely agree. There are some beautiful old neighborhoods in West Philly. But not really in any immediate vicinity of Schuylkill Yards and 30th Street District plan. No NIMBYs. No back yards. Push the envelope.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me. I definitely don't want to go back to the Sixties, which is where this design is taking me. Seems cold and clunky on a plaza. If only the highline looked like the giant arbor in the renderings. Red, in this case, is striking me as lipstick on a pig.
I don't mind the red either. In fact, I'd like an even bolder choice, like yellow or gold...but anyways.

I think the building is rather clunky. Why is the top 20 or 30 feet wider than the bottom? View corridors are supposed to open up as you look up...not close down. I also don't like the archways at the bottom...rather plaza like...reminiscent of mediocre 1970s urbanism.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:04 PM
Philly Rising Up!

I think it is an awesome design from top down to bottom up. It's bold, thoughtful, playful and fits in with the nearby bldgs, like Cira, Evo, and FMC. Take a look at the shapes and angles. Angles are on Cira, Evo, and FMC but of course in different axis or slants, but that appears to be a common theme when you look at all the buildings from ground up. We have nothing like it in terms of the totality of architectural details of this building when compared to the recent builds or even past builds in the 80s or 90s. I think a lot of thinking and hours went into the design of this bldg. Hope the execution and materials will live up to the design.

I urge those to look at the CDR submission again in detail and study it to appreciate it. It's pretty amazing, IMO. It will be a superb addition to our skyline once it is built.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20190822...025JFKBlvd.pdf

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:51 PM
PhillyPholly

Top heavy buildings seem unnatural. When I see the rendering with it adjacent to Cira I must say it looks good. I like to think it is responding to Cira and it's shapes. They compete for attention but compliment each other. Difficult to do with Cira's unique lines. Stacked boxes seem to be a theme popping up on skylines across the world.
I like that the 2 new proposals are separate and not a huge homogenized project. I like the attention given to street level.
Like always it will come down to finish materials. They will undoubtedly use the latest materials available.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Top heavy buildings seem unnatural. When I see the rendering with it adjacent to Cira I must say it looks good. I like to think it is responding to Cira and it's shapes. They compete for attention but compliment each other. Difficult to do with Cira's unique lines. Stacked boxes seem to be a theme popping up on skylines across the world.
I like that the 2 new proposals are separate and not a huge homogenized project. I like the attention given to street level.
Like always it will come down to finish materials. They will undoubtedly use the latest materials available.
Overall I'll take it.

I also like that it's planned 100% as an office building. Not that I don't like mixed used buildings...I do. But it often feels like the uses are hodge podged together because no single use is strong enough to warrant financing.

This seems to be an unabashed affirmation of Brandywine's belief in the need for more commercial space in the submarket, and I like it. Even the next building over has a significant office component. I think they already have tenant's up their sleeves.

They must.

Between these two towers, the MLB tower on Market, and the Chubb Building up in Logan Square...it is nice to see a critical mass of office construction coming down the pike. Now, if only we could get the SOM proposal off the ground at 13th&Market...in many ways, I think that's the best of them all.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 9:47 PM

The red is a good look. I wouldn’t mind seeing a black glass building in that area too.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Don't think I'll ever be able to decide if I love it or hate it... so it's a great addition to the skyline.

Just read through the full CDR applications and loving it!

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:31 PM

East Market - Future Phases

1. The development of a 450,000 SF office building at the corner of 11th and Chestnut Street
2. The Development of a approximately 200,000 SF residential tower at the corner of 12th and Chestnut Street.

https://natrealestatedevelopment.com/east-market/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations