HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 12:20 AM
my posse's on broadway

it's also worth noting that 58° and The Grand are both very small. 58° has a big space, but only about 1/3 of it is the bar area. And what is The Grand? 350 sq. ft.?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 12:46 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
And what is The Grand? 350 sq. ft.?
That's probably about right - The Grand might be 15' deep by 20-25' wide, and it loses a lot of space to the bar area and the door which cuts across at an angle. Which makes it a trapezoid? Can't remember Geometry - if only I had paid attention...

I really can't see saturation yet...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 5:09 AM
Got Good Grub?

Back from M&S - verdict......couldn't get in because the line was soooooooo long. Got there about 7pm - the line stretched from the entrance on J St. all the way around to corner, past the entrance to the Elks Bldg. The line was not moving at all. I think everyone got there at 6pm and they were only letting people in as people left. We stood in line for 10 mins, moved about 5 feet (out of several hundred to go) and decided to go to The Grand.

It had some great style inside - enclosed wine racks to the 20ft. ceilings. Warm atmosphere. We didn't try anything but they do have an extensive wine list of about 40 wines by the glass in the $5 to $15 dollar range, with a lot of European selections. Bordeauxs, Rhones, Burgundies, some California wines, etc. Also have a very large bottle listing as well. Met a young guy who seemed to be the owner/manager - name started with a Z....overall I'd return to check it out again.

Ended up at Zocalo - had a few beers and some chips, place was starting to clear up as we arrived at 7:30 or so. The tables were pretty full, but he bar was only abut 2/3rds full.

And the weather was great - fun night to be out, though the M&S thing didn't work out so well. If you're going to M&S Saturday, I'd recommend showing up early for the 5:30pm opening after seeing tonight's lines. I'll probably try to get there early to meet up with Costa, but I'm going on a drive with some friends so I'm not sure what time I'll be back...shooting for 5-530 at M&S at this point.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Feb 16, 2007 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 6:24 AM
my posse's on broadway

yeah i thought the M&S marketing was far too agressive. i figured if they invited me then they must've invited the whole damn region.

So was the Grand cool? Did the small space prevent you from getting a glass? I'm gonna check it out sometime this weekend. I love wine, and I can't imagine a time when a city at the center point of the USA's wine bidniss is "saturated" with wine bars.

in an ironic twist.... Merlot Marketing does McCormick & Schmick's marketing and not a single wine bar on L Street????

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 6:37 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
yeah i thought the M&S marketing was far too agressive. i figured if they invited me then they must've invited the whole damn region.

So was the Grand cool? Did the small space prevent you from getting a glass? I'm gonna check it out sometime this weekend. I love wine, and I can't imagine a time when a city at the center point of the USA's wine bidniss is "saturated" with wine bars.

in an ironic twist.... Merlot Marketing does McCormick & Schmick's marketing and not a single wine bar on L Street????
I must have been aggressive marketing as they invited my secret source - my 60+ y/o Dad.

The Grand was pretty busy (15-20 people) when we first drove by on our way to M&S at about 6:50pm - even a number of people hanging outside. By the time we got back there around 7:30 or so, most of the place had cleared out. Of the remaining 5 people, I suspect a number of them were family. So, no problem getting a glass after 7:30pm. Otherwise, earlier, looked a bit busier.

And Merlot Marketing - kind of a bad/unlucky name choice for them after Sideways came out...though they did stick it out. Check on the origins of the name on their about us page - to paraphrase: Merlot MKTG sounded good after a few glasses of...Merlot.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 6:58 AM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
kind of a bad/unlucky name choice for them after Sideways came out...

hahaha... i actually have a bottle of hitching post pinot noir right here. got it at the restaurant in soledad.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 7:08 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
hahaha... i actually have a bottle of hitching post pinot noir right here. got it at the restaurant in soledad.
I've tried it before and it's pretty good. My dad has eaten at the bar in the Hitching Post II restaurant where they filmed the movie. Twice. The Horror! Pinots were my favorite years before the movie came out - the movie ruined it for me. Though I still enjoy a good one now and again, I'm drinking Syrah/Rhone and the occasional Grenache and Zin nowadays. And Spanish-style wines too.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 7:21 AM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
I've tried it before and it's pretty good. My dad has eaten at the bar in the Hitching Post II restaurant where they filmed the movie. Twice. The Horror! Pinots were my favorite years before the movie came out - the movie ruined it for me. Though I still enjoy a good one now and again, I'm drinking Syrah/Rhone and the occasional Grenache and Zin nowadays. And Spanish wine too.
It's probably one of the more bold pinot's which is why i like it. thought you now pay a hefty hollywood fee if you want a bottle. i think the best region is still healdsburg. if you've never made it out there, i highly recommend Frick Winery. If you like the more typically used blending grapes like Grenache.. you'll love their 100% Cinsaut. it's one of a kind. say what's up to Lucia!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 6:11 PM
Got Good Grub?

Yup - the bold one's are really the only Pinots which appeal to me nowadays. I've tried Frick at a few tastings and they're pretty good. I've also tried a few Cinsault wines before - it's a pretty interesting grape though it's mostly used in smaller %s in the Rhone blends, right?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 6:20 PM

I picked up a couple bottles of Hitching Post pinot from 58 Degrees a while back. When I saw it I had to buy it. Damn Sideways! I really like it.

When L Wine Lounge opens, we should do a wine bar hopping meat in that area!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:07 AM
Closed account

Whats a meat? Is it all you guys meeting? If it is, that sounds cool...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:11 AM
my posse's on broadway

yup... you just missed us all at R15 on Saturday night. be sure to come out to the next one!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 5:38 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
Whats a meat? Is it all you guys meeting? If it is, that sounds cool...
It was a blast. It was my first time...*blush*. Everyone was really fun to hang out with. Make sure you catch the next one...

Therefore - I propose - Sushi Meat! Tamaya? Zen Sushi? Or maybe sugit can hook us up at Nishiki? What does everyone say? Or maybe everyone says no....

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Feb 26, 2007 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 8:59 PM

Hey has you guys seen the new Sactown Magazine? I'm really excited about it. The best new zine in town! Blows Sacramento Magazine out of the water.

http://sactownmag.com/home.php

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 1:58 AM

SactownRob is the editor. I think all of us have subscriptions. It's VERY exciting!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 10:06 PM
my posse's on broadway

So when i come home off the freeway at 29th and P, i notice this former oil change / tune-up shop is shut down. In its place coming in summer of 2007 is a new burger joint called Suzie Burger.

Apparently Suzie was formerly located off 24th street for years. Now they're reopening under the wing of the 33rd Street Bistro group called Standing Room Only.

I'm thinking this place will be really cool. That group has done nothing but tasteful projects across this region. 33rd street and Riverside are neighborhood mainstays, and Bistro 33 fits the location perfectly. I can't wait to see what they do with that old 50's 60's style garage building.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:32 PM
Got Good Grub?

Nice find! Sounds promising.

Digressing a little, I wash Sacto had a cool bar like Father's Office in Santa Monica. If you've never been, it's a little hole-in-the-wall style bar with great beer on tap, pretty good fresh bar food, board games, etc...maybe this place exists and I haven't found it yet? Someone please show me the light.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Feb 26, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 12:54 AM

FYI: Faces' long awaited expansion is opening the weekend of March 9th/10th. If you bring their ad in Mom Guess What (perhaps the greatest name for a gay-themed magazine), you get free cover both nights!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 1:29 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacdelicious View Post
FYI: Faces' long awaited expansion is opening the weekend of March 9th/10th. If you bring their ad in Mom Guess What (perhaps the greatest name for a gay-themed magazine), you get free cover both nights!
That is a great name.

Is Badlands going to be opening up about the same time? Not knowing much about Lavender Heights developments, are Faces and Badlands any way related? Or is there just going to be some good competition between the two? As I drove by today on the way home from work, Badlands look like they're pretty close to opening from the outside.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 7:19 PM

I have a question for any of you Sacramento forumers...I may have some free time (most of a day) in downtown Sac next week. Any quick suggestions for interesting stuff for a 1st-time visitor to check out on foot? So far I was thinking the state capitol, the CA history museum, and Old Sacramento...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area