HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:45 AM

Looking pretty good, one story left?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Looking pretty good, one story left?
I think they are up to 4 floors. Isn't it supposed to be 6 floors total?

Edit: it will be 5 floors total. Yes, one floor left.

Quote:
When open in 2015, the five-story, 220,000-square-foot cancer clinic will provide comprehensive cancer services, including infusion, radiation oncology, diagnostic imaging, endoscopic/interventional radiology, a breast center, specialized cancer clinics, patient wellness and support services, a prevention/executive health clinic, clinical lab space and other related support spaces.
http://www.phoenixcancercenter.org/index.html

Last edited by nickw252; Feb 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I think they are up to 4 floors. Isn't it supposed to be 6 floors total?
This is the corner of 7th and Filmore right?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
This is the corner of 7th and Filmore right?
Northwest corner of 7th St. and Filmore.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 8:13 PM

A couple of views from the top of the Arizona Center parking garage:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 9:04 PM

Thanks for the pic! But of course I can't help but notice all of the asphalt parking lots that would be prime for development. haha

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 3:46 AM

Pretty soon that view will be obscured by a beautiful new parking garage so that the other parcels (parking lots) can be developed at the biomed campus.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:08 PM

According to my source, the tenants involved in leasing spaces in the garage have been so outraged by the additional fees resulting from the Urban Fork, or as he put it: "because of the city's concern and insitence that it be a good for the surrounding neighbors."

These requirements include groundlevel retail and screening., and I've been encouraged to reach out to my representatives ASAP to abandon those requirements, else face a permanent parking lot.

I call BS:
1. We developed the urban for a reason and because we allow so many variances that it's rarely applied, the projects that do come to market with quality design aren't as successful ss they could be if all were working together.
2. The plans for a garage are nothing new. It's always been in the site plan, and articles from several years ago mentioned including retail or other uses.
3. The site plan is more or less finalized, so there's no way a planned 8 story parking garage will be taking over equivalent surface lots.
4. People need to start realizing that urban centers are never going to cater toward the automobile, so if Phoenix intends to become a true, sustainability downtown, this rise in prices are justifiable and should encourage workers to use alternative transportation.

Finally, I asked about lower cost alternatives and provided several examples - suggesting a small plaza fro way finding and art, and adding local artists' works to the screening, but he wasn't nudging, so I'm hopeful he was bluffing, This Biomedical campus was a huge economic engine for Phoenix, but I don't understand why it couldn't have been developed in several towers, rather than acres upon acres of construction that has no public features included such as parks, plazas, retail, or entertainment, creating a huge dead zone on almost 1/3rd of the lots that make up our CBD. The least they can do is incorporate stores into this garage, so we make progress toward 24/7 activity, not actively protest what would be longterm benefits to the city,

Sorry, one last comment; instead of two adjacent sprawling campuses next to each other, I wish both had consolidated into a few projects, perhaps giving Phoenix a landmark educational building. The two wouldn't need to be the same and could've even followed a dual brand hotel model. In particular, the lack of residential aimed the BioNed students seems odd.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
According to my source, the tenants involved in leasing spaces in the garage have been so outraged by the additional fees resulting from the Urban Fork, or as he put it: "because of the city's concern and insitence that it be a good for the surrounding neighbors."

These requirements include groundlevel retail and screening., and I've been encouraged to reach out to my representatives ASAP to abandon those requirements, else face a permanent parking lot.

I call BS:
1. We developed the urban for a reason and because we allow so many variances that it's rarely applied, the projects that do come to market with quality design aren't as successful ss they could be if all were working together.
2. The plans for a garage are nothing new. It's always been in the site plan, and articles from several years ago mentioned including retail or other uses.
3. The site plan is more or less finalized, so there's no way a planned 8 story parking garage will be taking over equivalent surface lots.
4. People need to start realizing that urban centers are never going to cater toward the automobile, so if Phoenix intends to become a true, sustainability downtown, this rise in prices are justifiable and should encourage workers to use alternative transportation.

Finally, I asked about lower cost alternatives and provided several examples - suggesting a small plaza fro way finding and art, and adding local artists' works to the screening, but he wasn't nudging, so I'm hopeful he was bluffing, This Biomedical campus was a huge economic engine for Phoenix, but I don't understand why it couldn't have been developed in several towers, rather than acres upon acres of construction that has no public features included such as parks, plazas, retail, or entertainment, creating a huge dead zone on almost 1/3rd of the lots that make up our CBD. The least they can do is incorporate stores into this garage, so we make progress toward 24/7 activity, not actively protest what would be longterm benefits to the city,

Sorry, one last comment; instead of two adjacent sprawling campuses next to each other, I wish both had consolidated into a few projects, perhaps giving Phoenix a landmark educational building. The two wouldn't need to be the same and could've even followed a dual brand hotel model. In particular, the lack of residential aimed the BioNed students seems odd.
Master plans are wishes and goals, not set in stone guidelines. Yes, the master-plan might call for certain things, but it really is up to each individual project or piece to develop their needs and possibilities.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:30 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:46 AM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 4:34 PM

Card-Access Bike Storage Facility h/t ASU Parking and Transit

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Card-Access Bike Storage Facility h/t ASU Parking and Transit
Sweet! Taylor mall at 1st St, looks like?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 11:12 PM

Greg Stanton's state of the city reveals UA is moving local MBA program to downtown Phoenix
Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Biz Journal

The University of Arizona is moving its Valley-based MBA programs to downtown Phoenix.

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton announced the move during his State of the City Address today at the Phoenix Convention Center.

UA’s College of Management has had its Phoenix-area MBA programs based out north Scottsdale since 2006.

Stanton said UA will bring 170 MBA students annually to downtown Phoenix. The business programs will be based out of UA’s downtown campus, which is also home to its College of Medicine.

“We are thrilled that Eller will be a part of the exciting things happening in downtown Phoenix,” said Eller College Dean Len Jessup. “The College of Medicine has established beautiful facilities that will give our professional MBAs access to high-tech working classroom space and a true campus experience.”

Arizona State University already has a significant and growing footprint in downtown Phoenix. ASU’s Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law is also moving from Tempe to downtown just up the street from the Arizona Summit Law School.

Stanton also wants to double city trade with Mexico in the next five years and double global exports in 10 years.

The Phoenix mayor said city officials are also working with neighboring states on new long-term water management policies, noting droughts have impacted the Colorado River.

He also defended a controversial city discrimination measure that extends protections to the LGBT community.

Stanton also credited the business community for convincing Gov. Jan Brewer to veto Senate Bill 1062, which was strongly opposed by the LGBT community.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...text-html.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Master plans are wishes and goals, not set in stone guidelines. Yes, the master-plan might call for certain things, but it really is up to each individual project or piece to develop their needs and possibilities.
Yes, and our downtown standards are dictated by our Urban Form, which thankfully won't allow the Biomedical Campus to block all interaction with Evans Churchill by joining Arizona Center and ASU in creating its own insulated campus. That isn't healthy for downtown and it isn't what was outlined in the Urban Form guidelines.

Speaking of which, it was said that the ASU Law School needed 7 variances to get the design approved. 1) what's the point of Urban Form if we can't hold even the mist prosperous stakeholders accountable and, 2) given that the school is being funded by tax dollars, do we not have any rights in following the design, mpproviding feedback up front, etc?

Lastly, have there been any hunts as to future developments in the land ASU owns beyond a massing model? Is this look correct?

1. NEC Fillmore/Central: next to the journalism school; I haven't heard of a need for that school to expand, maybe it's better it gets sold since we can't afford more 5-6 story buildings up and down Central. If ASU keeps it, I hope a housing project on the scale of Tucson's is built. That'd be great for the park.
2. NEC Polk/Central: north of OCPE; did the developer sell the remaining parcel? If so, does that mean they wouldn't be required to partner with ASU?
3. NEC Taylor/1st: 3/4 sides will be law classroom walls, nut there's apparently a piece left for future development. Is realistic?
4.NWC Fillmore/2nd: I thought I heard that the nursing program had to expand? Is that true and if so - any guesses on density and timing? If they do build the 4th building, that block will be the perfect example of how they and the city rushed/dropped the ball on this campus. 4 buildings could've been decent tower, leaving room for future needs or to sell off and hopefully create a dynamic mix of uses on that block. If all the entities downturn were playing their cards right, wouldn't it make sense to build a dorm and class space adjacent to the Biomedical Campus?

Just trying to get an idea of what's land banked by whom and for how long. Did I miss any prime lots? Do they own anything of the other YMCA lots?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Yes, and our downtown standards are dictated by our Urban Form, which thankfully won't allow the Biomedical Campus to block all interaction with Evans Churchill by joining Arizona Center and ASU in creating its own insulated campus. That isn't healthy for downtown and it isn't what was outlined in the Urban Form guidelines.

Speaking of which, it was said that the ASU Law School needed 7 variances to get the design approved. 1) what's the point of Urban Form if we can't hold even the mist prosperous stakeholders accountable and, 2) given that the school is being funded by tax dollars, do we not have any rights in following the design, mpproviding feedback up front, etc?

Lastly, have there been any hunts as to future developments in the land ASU owns beyond a massing model? Is this look correct?

1. NEC Fillmore/Central: next to the journalism school; I haven't heard of a need for that school to expand, maybe it's better it gets sold since we can't afford more 5-6 story buildings up and down Central. If ASU keeps it, I hope a housing project on the scale of Tucson's is built. That'd be great for the park.
2. NEC Polk/Central: north of OCPE; did the developer sell the remaining parcel? If so, does that mean they wouldn't be required to partner with ASU?
3. NEC Taylor/1st: 3/4 sides will be law classroom walls, nut there's apparently a piece left for future development. Is realistic?
4.NWC Fillmore/2nd: I thought I heard that the nursing program had to expand? Is that true and if so - any guesses on density and timing? If they do build the 4th building, that block will be the perfect example of how they and the city rushed/dropped the ball on this campus. 4 buildings could've been decent tower, leaving room for future needs or to sell off and hopefully create a dynamic mix of uses on that block. If all the entities downturn were playing their cards right, wouldn't it make sense to build a dorm and class space adjacent to the Biomedical Campus?

Just trying to get an idea of what's land banked by whom and for how long. Did I miss any prime lots? Do they own anything of the other YMCA lots?
Maricopa.gov has parcel maps with information on who owns all of those lots. In fact, for every single parcel in the entire county. But don't go writing letters to every single owner of an empty lot.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:33 AM

Just another angle of the building from this weekend.

Really like how the building opens up to 6th St. Especially as the campus begins converging with Evans Churchill, design features like that will be important to give the sense of an integrated neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 9:36 PM

When Phoenix first acquired the land for the campus, they moved several houses down to 6th street that were in its path- does anyone know if they're planning to do the same for the two houses on Pierce/4th? With the other studios being demolished, I was thinking about the potential of that site, but then remembered it's part of the Bio blob. I guarantee allowing their reuse would yield far more results for downtown after 5 than whatever 5-story science building they'll place.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 6:13 PM

ASU Center for Law and Society Soon to Break Ground

Quote:
With Phoenix’s City Council approving $12 million from the Community Reinvestment Fund to help finance ASU’s project, last December Mayor Greg Stanton joined ASU President Michael M. Crow to announce the Center’s intended 260,000-square-foot layout.

Crow and Stanton described a $129 million, six-story complex with two levels of underground parking, reserving 25% of the city block for the option of future development. Facilities will include not only the ASU College of Law but also a public law library and civic outreach center, a bookstore, a café, a “Great Hall,” and offices for the ASU Alumni Law Group, a non-profit, privately financed teaching law firm.

Members of the downtown Phoenix community expressed concern over seven proposed variances. In response, ASU organized public forums with participants from the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, the Thunderdome Neighborhood Association for Non­Auto Mobility, and the Roosevelt Action Alliance. One meeting brought together Downtown Voices Coalition with representatives from the city, ASU, and the two design firms involved with this project (New York’s Ennead Architects and Phoenix’s Jones Studio). Discussion covered the project’s compatibility with the foot- and bike-friendly improvements made to First Street last October, which included tree plantings, parklets, and revised parking.

“First Street is developed as a pedestrian corridor,” maintained the Center’s zoning narrative, “accommodating pocket parks/pedestrian plazas/places of respite at the north and south ends of the site.”

While two of the variances reduced frontage on Taylor, First Street, and Polk, allowing more room to build, the narrative suggested that the shaded public areas on Polk and the mid-block cut-through will actually encourage pedestrian activity.

“All of these [variances] are consistent with a good urban building that invites the community and the campus onto the site, and with good planning by the City for greater density on the site over time,” says ASU Senior Vice President and University Planner Richard Stanley.

“Within the context of the campus and the context of the downtown,” Stanley continues, “it fulfills the intent and spirit…for that…district in terms of its ‘urban-ness,’ its walkability, and its general respect for downtown ambiance.”

Regarding foot-traffic concerns, “The pedestrian walkway along First Street is actually enhanced as a result of the building being there,” he says. “The landscaping and the trees that are in place along the edge of the parking lot now will be maintained, and then in addition to that we would build a berm on the building side of the sidewalk and put some benches in…and have some benches that would be integral into the berm itself.”

“The façade that will be along First Street starting from the south is an extremely open space…something which I think is visually quite active as you walk along the street,” Stanley elaborates. “And then at the northern corner of the building, on Taylor Street, there’s a seating area…and what some people have referred to as sort of a Speaker’s Corner.”

He concludes, “So I think there’s a lot of reasons why someone might choose…an equal choice of walking down First Street to get to Taylor or walking through the building.”

While the community appealed the variances through the standard process, the original approval of the design was ultimately upheld.

Initial discussion within ASU’s administration began around 2009, and the construction schedule spans two years. “I think it’s been a very good process,” he says, “a continuation of the partnership with the city…. It’s a big project both financially and programmatically for us, and so we needed to be very careful that we were planning it properly and that we had the financial wherewithal to be able to handle it.”

Stanley says that ASU’s endeavor may break ground as early as June, and the Center is scheduled to open for the fall term of 2016. “We’re just getting to the point of having the finalized bid prices in on the project,” he explains, “and that’s the point in the standard process at the universities that we take the project to the Board of Regents…we go back to them to have the final approval to proceed with the actual spending of the money.” Stanley adds, “We won’t be bringing them any surprises.”

“I will certainly be following up with…the groups that represent downtown neighborhoods,” said Stanley. “I’ll offer up regular progress reports on the building…. If there’s any dramatic change in the nature of the plans as we go along…we’d come back and talk to them about that.”

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 9:49 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^ I love a lot of Eddie Jones' work, but its so clear that Phoenix's starchitects (him, Bruder) don't have the foggiest idea how to do urban projects. This project, just like Cityscape, create a silly inward facing pedestrian area at the expense of the actual public space, the street. 2nd Street ends up having to house the back of house needs when an alley should be taking care of it. Very frustrating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest