HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 4:46 AM

you guys have 5 landfills in your city???

and is that transportation utility corridor a future ring road???

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 4:46 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post

Regardless of all of that, i interpreted the entire point of this excercise as simply a dismissal of the entire comparison. I don't think that by invalidating the comparison between Calgary and NC you have to prove the opposite point (that Calgary is not at all sprawling). The point is far more simple - that to say Calgary is 10 times less dense than NYC is misleading to the public.

Claeren.
I think you're exactly right.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
As a person living in Calgary I am imbarrassed to know that someone at cityhall is actually comparing the massive sprawl of Calgary to the density of NYC. Please .. oh please say this is a sad joke.

Talk about completely misrepresenting the facts.... Calgary should face the reality and look to decrease its seemingly endless sprawl and not try to pass of some form of misleading report which is barely worthy of lining the kitty litter box. Where are the standards? Just another mindless attempt by the local government to create a Calgary feel good story.

Calgary is still in many ways a small city.. and such an article only goes to prove that Calgary has a long way to go. I would expect much more from a city like Calgary.
You've obviously missed the whole point of this thread.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 8:03 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
you guys have 5 landfills in your city???
Yeah. We prefer not to ship it to michigan.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:06 PM

its going to London ONT in 2010 lol...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 5:56 PM

I, for one, am glad the City has called the bluff on this ridiculous old wive's tale, although their own arithmetic is equally faulty. The most valid comparison, IMO, is the total developed area in both CMA's/MSA's, including industrial, transportation and parkland.

The stat that gets me even more agitated (and I have actually heard experienced professional planners buy into it) is the one that Calgary covers the biggest land area of any municipality in North America - not just wrong, but severely wrong!

But overall, I think if we examine our overall land use pattern, the low densities in the established communities are offset by the relatively higher densities and small lot sizes in the newest suburban communities (compared with most other North American cities, anyways) and lack of exurban sprawl that gives us an urban footprint that is less consumptive than many would think. For example, looking at an urban area about the same size such as Ottawa, while their inner city communities and transit nodes are much denser than ours, the preponderence of satellite towns, acreage areas and semi-rural areas that are part of their metro area give them what I would consider to be, overall, a less efficient and more consumptive land use pattern.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 6:06 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
and is that transportation utility corridor a future ring road???
Future - as in being built right now (At least the northern and Northeastern sections). Ab gov decided Edm/Cal needed ring roads...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 8:25 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
The stat that gets me even more agitated (and I have actually heard experienced professional planners buy into it) is the one that Calgary covers the biggest land area of any municipality in North America - not just wrong, but severely wrong!
When I was hired at U of C, this was among the "Facts about Calgary" I got with housing info and such. "Calgary is the largest city, in area, in Canada!"

This was never close to correct, and as long as we're talking municipal boundaries, Ottawa is nearly triple the "area" of Calgary now- and it's the new municipality of Halifax larger as well? (yep- 5490 sq km! Now THAT is sprawling!)

There are dozens of cities in the US that are larger in area than Calgary, too.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:45 AM

In before TrueViking pulls stats out of his ass and proves Winnipeg is the worlds densest city.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstick View Post
In before TrueViking pulls stats out of his ass and proves Winnipeg is the worlds densest city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy