HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:16 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was gonna say...

I am used to it because of where I grew up, but to people in Quebec the idea of being embarrassed about Céline and apologizing for her even in jest appears downright bizarre.
I think it has to do with the chansonnier being a relatively subversive thing in Quebec, where if one makes it big in the English world there is nothing to be ashamed of. English chansonniers became derided for being old fashioned, representative of old ways of living that were unfashionable and were labeled crooners. English chansonniering is oddly enough making a small comeback.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post
as a francophone it doesn't annoy me so much to be reminded of my language's minority status as it does to have it treated as a foreign or illegitimate language, or being told that it should have the same status (or even less) as hindi, greek or cantonese.
+1

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was gonna say...

I am used to it because of where I grew up, but to people in Quebec the idea of being embarrassed about Céline and apologizing for her even in jest appears downright bizarre.
Titanic.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 11:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I think it has to do with the chansonnier being a relatively subversive thing in Quebec, where if one makes it big in the English world there is nothing to be ashamed of. English chansonniers became derided for being old fashioned, representative of old ways of living that were unfashionable and were labeled crooners. English chansonniering is oddly enough making a small comeback.
Perhaps. I mean, people in Quebec are known for being collectivist and closing ranks around the ''us'', but still there is a feeling that Céline (or anyone else) is just a singer, and doesn't reflect on every single person in Quebec since we're all individuals. I know that the people who apologize jokingly as Canadians don't actually think that either, but as I said that idea in Quebec is so remote that people would not do it in jest even.

And even though Céline (no last name required) is obviously super-popular in Quebec by any measure, there are still plenty of people here who do not like her.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada