HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 7:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh, we're well aware how little we matter in the grand scheme of things. There's almost a relief in it, a sort of freedom.

And that applies, of course, to the monarchy as well. I doubt they give a shit what happens anywhere in the Commonwealth provided the British taxpayers keep them propped up.

But it's not really servile in the sense you imagine. To the extent that we support it, the tiny minority that does, it's supporting something about ourselves, not really the monarchy. If it wasn't a part of us, no one would care. It'd be like asking how come Newfoundlanders do or don't support the new president of Malaysia. Except for Newfoundlanders of Malaysian background, it's completely removed from their lives.
She definitely does care. The queen has political advisors and royal strategists who look out for the continuing interests of the monarchy, and its geo-political interests. Loosing Canada would be a big blow

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesnick312 View Post
She definitely does care. The queen has political advisors and royal strategists who look out for the continuing interests of the monarchy, and its geo-political interests. Loosing Canada would be a big blow
Really? What does Canada bring to the table? (Just genuinely curious.)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I know this is true about the advisors but isn't it a bit of a sterile exercise since she has never really played an active role in any Canadian affairs since she took the throne?

Not that I am complaining BTW...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quote:
She doesn't care enough to live here.

I have no doubt about her great intelligence; after all, she really worked hard and earned her position purely through merit. I still feel like we don't need her "looking out" for us, and that we are competent enough to manage our own affairs without having her "look out for the continuing interests of the monarchy, and its geo-political interests." I'd much rather have the folks who were elected by the people and the hard working folks in think tanks inform our geo-political interests.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada