HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 5:21 PM

Thanks, HooverDam. I'll click on the Insert Image button next time.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 5:25 PM

I really really like the new renderings!! I think it is a 100% improvement from the previous rendering. I think this project has good momentum to get off the ground also.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 5:38 PM
Dbacks baby!

Mosaic

I was by the Mosaic site yesterday. Looks like things are really starting to gear up. There was was some final demo work completed on the NE side of the lot (near the parking garage). I don't think it will be long before they actually start digging.

Hey at least we will have 4 projects to watch in the near future. Two in downtown Phoenix which are, Cityscape and CPE. Then two more in Tempe. Those are Mosaic and Tempe Gateway (next to the US Airways building).

Bring on more cranes yeah!!

Oh i forgot I have pics of the site prep at Mosaic...when I have more as things progress I'll post them.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 5:50 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^Just use [img]images URL[/img] or there's a little button for it as well.

Renderings look pretty neat from what I can tell, very sleek and modern, we'll see if it happens.
Yeah these look cool.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 5:56 PM

I think it is safe to say that within the next year, Tempe will see 5 major projects underway.

1) Mosiac
2)Tempe Gateway
3) Monti's Towers
4) University Square
5) and the completion of CP

-Things look good for Tempe!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:02 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbUNIT16

So, it is quite possible that we can see the following projects all under construction at the same time:

Monti's Towers
Onyx
Mosaic
Lumina
Hotel to replace Bandersnatch
University Square

AWESOME! This is really going to be some place!
I'd like to think Lumina has a good chance of happening, given that its financed by an Australia developer, and as long as our currency continues its downward slide toward Wiemar Wallpaper, it makes international investment that much easier. On a side note, Mayor Phil has been doing a good job of recruiting Chicago companies to Phoenix--perhaps the same can happen with overseas firms as well.

I saw a model of the University Square project in the Decision Theater on Wednesday and it looked substantially shorter than previous renderings, with the residential portion only slightly taller than the cylindrical office portion. I think SAXA (formerly Shea Commercial) has lots of money, but I'm not too sure about their development partners.

It is interesting that 3W is partnering both on University Square and Monti's. I don't know enough about them but I always get the idea that when developers try to do too much at once nothing happens.

KML hasn't done anything that vertical, and the way Mosaic has dragged ass doesn't leave me that optimistic. We'll see.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:39 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I'd like to think Lumina has a good chance of happening, given that its financed by an Australia developer, and as long as our currency continues its downward slide toward Wiemar Wallpaper, it makes international investment that much easier. On a side note, Mayor Phil has been doing a good job of recruiting Chicago companies to Phoenix--perhaps the same can happen with overseas firms as well.

I saw a model of the University Square project in the Decision Theater on Wednesday and it looked substantially shorter than previous renderings, with the residential portion only slightly taller than the cylindrical office portion. I think SAXA (formerly Shea Commercial) has lots of money, but I'm not too sure about their development partners.

It is interesting that 3W is partnering both on University Square and Monti's. I don't know enough about them but I always get the idea that when developers try to do too much at once nothing happens.

KML hasn't done anything that vertical, and the way Mosaic has dragged ass doesn't leave me that optimistic. We'll see.
I understand your skepticism on Mosaic. That thing has been on the drawing board for a sometime now. Didn't the project have another name before it was changed to Mosaic? I am not sure whats going on with the site; but, there has been activity there and it does look like something is about to happen. Why would they water the site for a almost a week? Or several days anyway.

Well, there will be 3 projects to watch for sure in the immediate future which is good. Tempe Gateway, which is under construction right now, Cityscape, and CPE.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 7:38 PM

Here's the link to the EV Tribune Monti's story:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/101622

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:09 PM
tempe_native

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempedude View Post
Didn't the project have another name before it was changed to Mosaic?
It used to be called The Cosmopolitan or Cosmo.

AZCentral.com has an article on the Monti's project as well:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...ontis1110.html

All I know is I'm completely sick of Phoenix using the below reason for why Tempe can't build taller, come up with another reason already, like "we are jealous that you have more hi-rise projects than us", or "we have more dirt lots in our downtown than yours so if we block your projects then you can build in our downtown."

Overused Excuse:
"Sky Harbor International Airport and US Airways officials have already voiced complaints about the proposed height, saying it would conflict with existing "one-engine inoperative" emergency take-off procedures. Changes to those emergency plans would be detrimental because higher buildings would mean airplanes would have to take off at steeper angles, requiring them to carry lighter loads in the form of passengers or cargo, according to airport officials."

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:17 PM
Skyriser

^ This is a non-issue now. Tempe, like Phoenix, won't let a project go forward if it doesn't pass FAA muster. The initial declarations of hazard are almost always worked around.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:26 PM

Won't let a project go forward - meaning from this point. After it's announced (see: [can't think of the name] Marina Point[???]) then they come and say it's not doable.

I'm glad Tempe has realized that Sky Harbor is more important, both to Tempe and to the entire Phoenix region, than a couple of skyscrapers, and I wish forumers would as well...
The new renders do look nice, though.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:38 PM

Here's the pic so we don't have to keep clicking on azcentral or that horrible East Valley Tribune website.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:08 PM

Notice how the pic a sketch of the new USAir building in the background? That should be a pretty cool block, but I'm not going to get my hopes up to high... Let's see some cranes first!

The other thing we haven't heard much about lately is Pier 202, or whatever the hell its called...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:16 PM
Skyriser

Marina Point was originally proposed as taller than it is today, but ASU/SunCor worked the heights out with the Powers That Be and it's slightly shorter now. I remember there was about a timespan of a week or two for that decision to be made. The rest of the site's density didn't appear to change, which tells me a few things:

1) that it's all hazy and very much unfinalized, regardless of what they release
2) they didn't need the height
and/or
3) there was no real necessity to go up other than aesthetic reasons.

My point is that just about anybody could propose some random project as tall as they want, but there are numerous economical reasons for doing so and not doing so. Blaming the airport for scaling down a project seems logical, but I am convinced that if a real project were to push the envelope--Tempe's own height limits aside--it wouldn't keel over as easily as other things have.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 11:08 PM

So you're saying that this is a real project and that the FAA won't stand in its way.
I say: don't hold your breath. There is nothing about this project that makes it stand out as one that won't be delayed or canceled if the economy and new-homes market don't turn around in the next 8 months.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:33 PM
Dbacks baby!

Some pics from active projects around Tempe

Here more grainy pics

Centerpoint left tower one or two floors taller now, about 6 more floors to go

More Centerpoint

Northshore and Grigio condos on Playa Del Norte. Onyx tower will be just to the left of these condos.(If it doesn't get scraped because of market conditions)

Papago Gateway Center, offices and lab spaces. This building is supposed to incorporate some cutting edge LEED technology when its completed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 8:00 PM

Thanks for the updates. What kind of camera are you using, the pics really don't look that bad.
Papago Gateway is looking good. Isn't that thing supposed to be LEED Platinum?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 10:03 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
Thanks for the updates. What kind of camera are you using, the pics really don't look that bad.
Papago Gateway is looking good. Isn't that thing supposed to be LEED Platinum?
I am using an LG cell phone camera with 1.6 megapixels. LOL

I don't know if its LEED Platinum for sure. Its seems that I have heard that too recently. But, this is the article that caught my attention about the building. Check out the website link at the bottom. There is a pretty sweet video rendering of the building included.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 26, 2007
Section: Business
Edition: Final Chaser
Page: D3

DEVELOPER STRIVES FOR 'GOLD' WITH BUILDING'S GREEN SETUP
DETAILS SHOULD BRING TOP RATING, HE SAYS
Luci Scott, The Arizona Republic

The developer of the glass office building rising just north of Loop 202 and Tempe Town Lake describes it as a "happier, healthier, smarter building."
And once construction ends on the six-story Papago Gateway Center, people will be invited to see for themselves the state-of-the-art technology that makes the building environmentally friendly, said Lee Chesnut, the San Diego-based developer.

"We've got a niche in the market, a very unique building in an amazing location," he said.

The 3-acre site on the northwestern corner of Mill Avenue and Washington Street will not only house the 265,000-square-foot building but also a 930-car parking garage. The class A mixed-use building will house professional office tenants, research laboratories and biotech tenants.

A weather station on the roof will track the sun and monitor daylight intensity, wind and rain. It will control louvers outside the building that will move to control the amount of sun hitting the structure.

In mornings, louvers will close against the eastern sun, and in the afternoon, they will protect the western wall to help cut air-conditioning bills. On rainy or cloudy days, the louvers allow maximum sun in, said project architect Luis Huertas of the Smith Group.

"Every day of the year you'll see something different happening on the building," he said. "It's one of a kind; it's the largest louver system in the western United States."

Chesnut is striving for LEED certification for the building from the U.S. Green Building Council.

The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings. There are several levels of certification.

"We should achieve gold, which is a result of our continuing commitment to the sustainability for the project," Chesnut said. "We will be silver at a minimum."

The environmentally friendly work began with excavation.

"We ran a quarry on the site," he said. "We took big chunks of rock and broke them down into smaller prices and created gravel and sold it off to create value out of the excavation."

Also, the mechanical/electrical system is the most efficient that can be built, he said.

"It cost me more money to build, but it will pay back by reducing the occupancy costs for the tenants."

The target date for opening is Jan. 1.

"I just think it's a very smart way to build buildings," Chesnut said. "Our world is changing. There's going to be an increasing requirement (for green buildings) as the general public becomes more aware of this."

Papago Gateway Center

Here are a few of the aspects of the building that the developer says make it environmentally friendly.

* Site has access to light rail and four bus routes.

* Landscaping was salvaged.

* Showers and lockers will be available for bicycle riders.

* Water fixtures are 32 percent more efficient than code requires.

* Building will be 18 percent more energy efficient than code requires.

* Facility will have recycling.

* More than 50 percent of construction waste has been diverted from landfills.

* Builders try to use materials that are recycled or available nearby.

* Builders will try to use low-chemical-emitting paint, adhesives, sealants and carpets.

Web site: www.papagogatewaycenter.com.

Last edited by tempedude; Nov 13, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 4:01 AM

Looks like a great place to work, even if it's only gold and not platinum. I hope the wet lab space leases out right away; this should be great for Tempe and for HIGHRISE LIVING in downtown.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 5:32 AM
Dbacks baby!

Class A office space on the light rail line is good anytime

This is a good example why light rail is good for economics on mass transit lines.
The naysayers of light rail in Phoenix are probably going to be eating their words in 10 years easily.

Yeah, they will have a 930 car garage for what...idk, makes no sense to me either ..why on a rail line?
Still ..I would ride the line to avoid traffic...crap its bad enough on the 202 already.

Last edited by tempedude; Nov 14, 2007 at 5:45 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest