HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:34 PM

New Downtown Hotel(s)

Ever since the new Convention Centre was announced in 2006, there's been talk of a new 400-600 room hotel; even Mayor Watson has been mentioning a new "marquis hotel" Downtown ever since his Speech to the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association (http://jimwatsonottawa.ca/en/news/sp...el-association).

While this "marquis hotel" is still nothing but a nice thought, the "Groupe Germain Hospitality" (http://groupegermain.com/en/history.asp) has placed an ad in today’s Ottawa Citizen's Business and Technology section looking for a partner "owning interest in prime urban location" in either the CBD or the Market area for a new high class or boutique hotel in Downtown Ottawa.

Let’s hope for the best!

By the way, that "marquis hotel" we've been waiting for, I'm predicting it will be revealed before the end of this year along with the new Rideau Centre expansion plans once the Rideau Subway station are publicized.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 1:00 AM

nit: the word is "marquee"; "marquis" is a title of nobility similar to a "count"

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
By the way, that "marquis hotel" we've been waiting for, I'm predicting it will be revealed before the end of this year along with the new Rideau Centre expansion plans once the Rideau Subway station are publicized.
I have a gut feeling that you may be right. I agree that the expansion of the Rideau Centre will be a major event in the city, not only in terms of more retailers in the mall itself, but also in spill over effects in downtown core. Looking forward five years, it's quite possible that Rideau Street could be a thriving area that everyone in Ottawa can be proud of.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Ever since the new Convention Centre was announced in 2006, there's been talk of a new 400-600 room hotel; even Mayor Watson has been mentioning a new "marquis hotel" Downtown ever since his Speech to the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association (http://jimwatsonottawa.ca/en/news/sp...el-association).

While this "marquis hotel" is still nothing but a nice thought, the "Groupe Germain Hospitality" (http://groupegermain.com/en/history.asp) has placed an ad in today’s Ottawa Citizen's Business and Technology section looking for a partner "owning interest in prime urban location" in either the CBD or the Market area for a new high class or boutique hotel in Downtown Ottawa.

Let’s hope for the best!

I'd love to see a Le Germain in the Market, especially along Dalhousie street. The area is ripe for upscale retail and services.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
nit: the word is "marquee"; "marquis" is a title of nobility similar to a "count"
My bad. I just wrote it like they did for Watson's speeches.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
Looking forward five years, it's quite possible that Rideau Street could be a thriving area that everyone in Ottawa can be proud of.
Ya, the next 5 years will be quite interesting. Lot of projects will counterbalance federal layoffs.

Quote:
By bikegypsy
I'd love to see a Le Germain in the Market, especially along Dalhousie Street. The area is ripe for upscale retail and services.
I was thinking the same thing; maybe tear down that god awful Courtyard by Marriott

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Ya, the next 5 years will be quite interesting. Lot of projects will counterbalance federal layoffs.
In five years' time PS growth will long have resumed

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 1:28 PM

I hope so

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 1:59 PM

Quote:
I have a gut feeling that you may be right. I agree that the expansion of the Rideau Centre will be a major event in the city, not only in terms of more retailers in the mall itself, but also in spill over effects in downtown core. Looking forward five years, it's quite possible that Rideau Street could be a thriving area that everyone in Ottawa can be proud of.
The other day I was walking on the south side of Rideau Street between Dalhousie and Nicholas and thought that small strip really has the potential to be like Bloor Street in Toronto but much smaller (I'm hoping Cadillac-Fairview will buy it). I know the BIA wants Rideau to eventually become a "high street". I can see it, especially with Le Germain in the area.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
As a condo owner on Rideau, I really hope you're right. There's nothing inherently wrong with shawarma shops, tattoo parlours and convenience stores, but Rideau could be so much more (and once was).

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamoun79 View Post
As a condo owner on Rideau, I really hope you're right. There's nothing inherently wrong with shawarma shops, tattoo parlours and convenience stores, but Rideau could be so much more (and once was).
The bus that I take to work passes Foverever 21 and then turns left on Dalhousie. This trip has allowed me to observe upfront how Rideau St. has changed over the past 2-3 years. The addition of Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, the renovations of McDonald's and the installation of the Royal Bank all give hints of what Rideau could look like in the coming years.

While looking out the bus window, I often imagine a future like this: an expanded Rideau Centre that incorporates the currently empty Ogilvy building; an LRT station that is a busy transit hub; a few thousand condo owners living in, inter alia, Claridge Plaza Phases 1, 2, 3 and 4, as well as the two Phases of the Galleria, and bringing with them increased demand for pubs, restaurants, coffee shops and other urban amenities; more condo projects as developers like Phoenix homes start their own projects; and a renovated arts court.

I live in Nepean (hence my username!) and I am not very bullish about the suburbs. In fact, driving down Merivale, parts of Baseline and Carling is simply depressing. But the changes to Rideau Street are very encouraging, as is the construction in the Elgin Street area, as well as Bank street next to the Queensway. By the time the 150 anniversary of Canada comes in 2017, we may find, to our happy surprise, that we have a downtown core that is thriving and quite interesting.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 6:49 PM

Quote:
The bus that I take to work passes Foverever 21 and then turns left on Dalhousie. This trip has allowed me to observe upfront how Rideau St. has changed over the past 2-3 years. The addition of Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, the renovations of McDonald's and the installation of the Royal Bank all give hints of what Rideau could look like in the coming years.
This is true. It's good to see that empty storefronts aren't staying empty for very long. The Royal Bank is a solid addition to the street, Dollarama moved in soon after the Blockbuster closed, and a Roast 'n Brew location should be opening soon in the former PC Cyber at Rideau and Waller.

All encouraging signs.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 8:36 PM

Rideau Street would definitely be nice as Ottawa's "high street", but it is a looooong way from that still, especially east of King Edward. Still, it would be an ideal goal to do so from the river to the canal.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 8:42 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
I live in Nepean (hence my username!) and I am not very bullish about the suburbs. In fact, driving down Merivale, parts of Baseline and Carling is simply depressing. But the changes to Rideau Street are very encouraging, as is the construction in the Elgin Street area, as well as Bank street next to the Queensway. By the time the 150 anniversary of Canada comes in 2017, we may find, to our happy surprise, that we have a downtown core that is thriving and quite interesting.
I'd be more bullish about those parts of the suburbs than some others, but overall agree.

I'm glad you have that vision for the core, and I think you are right! I believe that Ottawa's central area is going to be the surprise Canadian urban success of this decade, as will be highlighted during the 150th anniversary celebrations.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Rideau Street would definitely be nice as Ottawa's "high street", but it is a looooong way from that still, especially east of King Edward. Still, it would be an ideal goal to do so from the river to the canal.
Given the land speculation in that area, I think we can safely predict it will explode with new development and activity once Rideau street (and the underlying water, sewer and newly-underground hydro service) are rebuilt. As one architect said to me, "you have NO idea what we have planned for that area"

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Given the land speculation in that area, I think we can safely predict it will explode with new development and activity once Rideau street (and the underlying water, sewer and newly-underground hydro service) are rebuilt. As one architect said to me, "you have NO idea what we have planned for that area"
I have *SOME* idea!

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I have *SOME* idea!
That's what I said!

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 9:29 PM

On the Ottawa Business Journal website there is a "Crown Plaza Hotels and Suites Ottawa-Gatineau ...Coming Soon" advertisement on the top right. I doubt they'll be building a brand new hotel (maybe buy the old Delta, that be weird), but worth noting.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
On the Ottawa Business Journal website there is a "Crown Plaza Hotels and Suites Ottawa-Gatineau ...Coming Soon" advertisement on the top right. I doubt they'll be building a brand new hotel (maybe buy the old Delta, that be weird), but worth noting.
The ad says Crown Plaza Hotel and Suites "Gatineau-Ottawa", not "Ottawa-Gatineau" so it's on the Quebec side. Not sure if they're buying an existing hotel or building a new one. Aren't there only 2 or 3 hotels in downtown Gatineau?

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
The ad says Crown Plaza Hotel and Suites "Gatineau-Ottawa", not "Ottawa-Gatineau" so it's on the Quebec side. Not sure if they're buying an existing hotel or building a new one. Aren't there only 2 or 3 hotels in downtown Gatineau?
Oh ya; I didn't notice it said Gatineau-Ottawa with Gatineau first. It would make sense since Hull only has 2 hotels on Laurier (Four Points and Holiday Inn) totaling 440 rooms and the 349 room Hilton Lac Leamy. It would offer a cheaper alternative to the high taxes and property values in Downtown Ottawa and their former PdV building. And of course, obviously, they would have way less competition in Gatineau (different market of people would rent rooms in Gatineau such as French speaking and looking for cheaper rates for the same service).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa