HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 1:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Winnipeg and Manitoba have been at the top (or near to) for decades. We are obviously not doing a good enough job dealing with the underlining reason for the highest rate. Perhaps that is the problem, we still haven't figured out what the real underlining problem is. Regardless it is up to all Manitobans to help solve this problem.

On another note I noticed in the report that it had Winnipeg's CMA population at 761,166.

761,166 - 31 = 761,135

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 3:51 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
761,166 - 31 = 761,135
I stand corrected.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Winnipeg and Manitoba have been at the top (or near to) for decades. We are obviously not doing a good enough job dealing with the underlining reason for the highest rate. Perhaps that is the problem, we still haven't figured out what the real underlining problem is. Regardless it is up to all Manitobans to help solve this problem.

On another note I noticed in the report that it had Winnipeg's CMA population at 761,166.
Take this Winnipeg stat and split it out by ethnic origin then you can help solve the problem and lower the numbers...
FYI, as for Gang shootings, Calgary has the highest per-capita murder rate in Calgary... Winnipeg and Edmonton are tied for second.
Related to this, in Winnipeg, murders & physical crimes are mostly done within people that know each other. In Calgary, Vancouver,they seem to get many random acts of violence..

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 11:40 PM
Capitalist

I am really hoping that criminal law in regards to violent crimes becomes a major topic during the next federal election... at least in Winnipeg and Manitoba.

I really think that both the NDP and Liberals need to speak up and explain themselves as to why they have been fighting to block higher penalities for violent crimes and removal of leaniant probation. Why must the public pay for political idiology which does not look to protect peaceful society.

If you kill / rape / assault someone you should be held strickly accountable.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 11:46 PM
Heart of the Continent

Longer sentences don't get to the cause of the crime though. All they really do is cost a great deal of money. On that though, I haven't seen the Liberals or the NDP oppose much of what has been proposed. Much of the legislation in fact dies when the Conservatives called an election last year.

Crime prevention needs to be part of the solution, and so far, at the federal level, it isn't really in consideration.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 11:53 PM
Capitalist

Respect for peaceful society and a general lack of accountability is the cause of crime. The young offender act needs to be scrapped. 16 year old criminals need to be convicted to higher degree. If you are old enough to join a gang and seriously hurt someone .. you my dear are old enough to learn the hard reality of life, which is peaceful society is far more important than your dumbass.

As far as cost ... the cost of having high levels of crime is not free either. Downtown and Winnipeg as a whole must wear the title of a place of high levels of crime. I would much rather see criminals accountable for there actions.

The conseratives have been pushing for stricter laws for violent crimes for many years... and have yet to convince the Liberals or the NDP. They need to be questioned on the issue. The Bloc also is very against it .. but that might be another issue altogether.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 11:55 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Respect for peaceful society and a general lack of accountability is the cause of crime.
Maybe, but things are rarely ever that simple.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Respect for peaceful society ... is the cause of crime.

I would much rather see criminals accountable for there actions.
You really really need to proofread what you post.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 12:27 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You really really need to proofread what you post.
yeah .. trying to do too many things at one time.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 12:58 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I am really hoping that criminal law in regards to violent crimes becomes a major topic during the next federal election... at least in Winnipeg and Manitoba.

I really think that both the NDP and Liberals need to speak up and explain themselves as to why they have been fighting to block higher penalities for violent crimes and removal of leaniant probation. Why must the public pay for political idiology which does not look to protect peaceful society.

If you kill / rape / assault someone you should be held strickly accountable.
That was just a handful of rogue Grit senators on a justice committee, who most certainly defied the party whip and the OLO.

Related, the Senate should be abolished ASAP, IMO. Not reformed, but abolished.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 1:09 AM
Heart of the Continent

And yet, the whole of the Senate passed the bill with very few amendments.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to become the only federation in the entire world without an upper house. Reform if you must (and I stress if) but abolition would be foolish.

The Senate will probably never be changed anyway. It would be very difficult to change and even harder to abolish.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 2:03 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The Senate will probably never be changed anyway. It would be very difficult to change and even harder to abolish.
Very true.

That said, I think that if a unicameral legislature is good enough for the provincial governments, why not for the federal parliament?

Don't get me wrong though, I'd take a reformed triple-E senate over the status quo/PM appointments, but would prefer abolition.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 2:04 AM
Heart of the Continent

Because the provinces aren't federations made up of jurisdictions that are in themselves sovereign in many ways.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:17 AM
Capitalist

I am fine with having a senate .. BUT only if it is accountable to the people. (ie: elected) People must have a way to remove people from the senate if they don't vote the way the people want... not just the way they think it should be and screw everyone else, including the elected members of government. If you aren't elected you should have absolutely no influence on how the elected body governs.

I would be completly in favour of a triple E sentate. This would give the provinces more sway in how the government is run and make the face of government more reflective of the different regions of Canada, not just the 2 most populated.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Longer sentences don't get to the cause of the crime though. All they really do is cost a great deal of money. On that though, I haven't seen the Liberals or the NDP oppose much of what has been proposed. Much of the legislation in fact dies when the Conservatives called an election last year.

Crime prevention needs to be part of the solution, and so far, at the federal level, it isn't really in consideration.
Yeah, while we are getting to "the cause of the crime" let's lock the buggers up. One thing is crystal clear: while locked up they are not stealing our cars, raping our women and murdering our friends and family members.

We've been molly-coddling these punks far too long now.

ALL elected members of parliament need to stop playing their friggen ignorant political games when it comes to crime and punishment. For the betterment of all Canadians work together to create a new justice system where real justice is meted out.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:28 AM
Capitalist

Honestly .. to those political elements who resist improving the justice system as a means of making our streets saver for everyone ... they should have a live in a high crime area with family in tow and attend funerals of those innocent victims and explain to those families that criminals just need a hug.

A good dose of reality would wake up these idiots very quickly.

It is shamefull that criminals are protected instead of the victims.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:49 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
If you aren't elected you should have absolutely no influence on how the elected body governs.
The Senate is designed exactly as opposite. It's a check on the elected mobocracy.

Not everything in a democracy (any democracy) involves elections.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:06 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
The Senate is designed exactly as opposite. It's a check on the elected mobocracy.

Not everything in a democracy (any democracy) involves elections.
Alas ... the senators are appointed by elected bodies from the past, but have no acountability and thus are irrelivant within a democratic nation. At the very least they should have a fixed term of maybe 8 years as a means of intoducing more people who reflect the mindset of the nation today .. not just a bunch of washed up appointees from way back in the 70's.

If the senate body can not reform itself into a relivant body .. it should be eliminated and a new body should take its place.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:09 AM
I am a typical

My NDP MP's office is across from our homeless shelter, beside an apartment where an 18 year old was beaten to death 2 years ago, and in the part of the city that sees about 80% of our homicides. And I have never heard him advocate for hugging criminals either.

And, for the record, not only do I live in a high crime neighbourhood, my uncle was murdered less than 200 meters from my door. I really don't think "living in a high crime neighbourhood" has anything to do with how one perceives the crime issue and forms an opinion on it. Do any of you live in a high crime neighbourhood?

I think, experiencing crime and poverty on a daily basis, has helped me understand the cause of crime a little better, and therefore propose a solution that I think would be more adequate than simply storing criminals in concrete rooms for later offences.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:12 AM
Heart of the Continent

Term limits would make any problem far worse. It would allow any party to stack the Senate within two majority terms. The Senate (even elected Senates) are supposed to counter the mood of the people if the mood is wrong. The body is needed for that and term limits and elections won't improve on that at all.

If change comes it should make things better, not worse. The best would probably be a new method of appointment not involving partisanship at all.

As I've already said, elimination is much harder than reform because of the Constitutional requirement involved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan