HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 5:17 AM
Honored Member

Commuter Rails through Indiana's Duneland

Commuter Rails Through Indiana's Duneland
October 19, 2009

All Images Copyright © 2009 by Robert E Pence

On selected weekends in 2009 service east of Gary Metro Center was suspended so that crews could install a new catenary system that replaces overhead infrastructure dating to the 1920s. The new catenary will improve reliability by providing constant tension to compensate for expansion and contraction due to seasonal temperature changes.

A crew takes advantage of the interval between passenger trains to do some freight switching at the Carroll Avenue (Michigan City) Facility.

In addition to the weekend interruption east of Gary Metro, all service between Carroll Avenue and South Bend was suspended for about two weeks to allow reconstruction of two bridges and the removal and fill of a bridge over the former Pere Marquette right-of-way. Buses were substituted for trains during that time.

Central Avenue runs north from US 12 to a Dunes National Lakeshore beach. Mind the crossing gates and signals, and click the photo to see a train pass.

The path to the beach.

The Lake Michigan shoreline, with the coal-fired NIPSCO Michigan City Generating Station in the distance.

A private wind turbine at a home in Beverly Shores.

A solar-powered National Park Service overlook.

A Lustron home from around 1949-1950. Lustrons have a factory prefabricated steel frame and all interior, exterior, and roof panels are made from porcelain-enameled steel. Protect them from impact damage, and they'll outlast just about any other residential construction method or material.

The Spanish Colonial Revival 1929 Beverly Shores depot is the only survivor of ten built on the line during Samuel Insull's ownership. It was boarded up and rotting when NICTD undertook restoration funded by a Federal grant in 1998. The front portion is a waiting room, and the remainder of the building, originally the station agent's residence, now houses a gallery and museum.

It's 6:59pm and Train 115 from Chicago, terminating at Carroll Avenue, is due. Beverly Shores is a flag stop for this train; click the photo to see if there are passengers to detrain here.

Next up, a set of new 300-series bi-level cars dropping off a few commuters. Click the photo for action.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Nov 16, 2009 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Awesome. The animated gifs are really cool.

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 3:15 PM
Resident Jackass

great thread

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 11:58 AM
Honored Member

I read this in yesterday morning's paper:

Published: November 27, 2009 3:00 a.m.

Last holiday in Dunes park homes
25 years after buying land, feds take over

Associated Press

BEVERLY SHORES – Dozens of people who live within the boundaries of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore celebrated their final Thanksgiving in their homes Thursday, months before the government is set to take possession of their properties.

The Lakeshore will claim the houses overlooking Lake Michigan on Sept. 30, forcing many elderly residents to find new homes after 40 or more years in the same dwelling.

[ ... ]

more at http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...WS07/311279955

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 6:37 PM

Love the beach pics and of
course the orange train.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:09 PM

Love the gifs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pence View Post
I read this in yesterday morning's paper:

Published: November 27, 2009 3:00 a.m.

Last holiday in Dunes park homes
25 years after buying land, feds take over

Associated Press

BEVERLY SHORES – Dozens of people who live within the boundaries of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore celebrated their final Thanksgiving in their homes Thursday, months before the government is set to take possession of their properties.

The Lakeshore will claim the houses overlooking Lake Michigan on Sept. 30, forcing many elderly residents to find new homes after 40 or more years in the same dwelling.

[ ... ]

more at http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...WS07/311279955
Well that answers the questions I had about Beverly Shores last month. I suppose some of the land is not owned by the occupants of the home. IMO, the more of the area that is returned to a natural setting, the better.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
Registered Loser

love your informative and interesting threads.

i wish i had spent more than an hour in indiana... i was just driving through from detroit to chicago.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 5:13 AM

Nice photos and gifs of one of my favorite rail lines!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography