HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 9:15 PM

It would be hard to find fault with the choice if it turned out to be Boston, istm.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 9:49 PM

I agree with Boston having a good chance as well as Washington. Chicago and Philly have a lot going for them but they don't come close to offering the quality of life needed to get and keep a skilled workforce ie astronomical crime/murder rates.

Both Boston and Washington offer a high quality of life, have a very skilled workforce, excellent universities, good transit, and transit to their airports.

Frankly I still think Toronto has more going for it than either due to the added benefit of Canada's much lower corporate tax rates and the dollor "subsidy" which allows Amazon to hire 50,000 Canadian workers for the same price as they would get hiring just 40,000 Americans.

Of course the big problem is Trump's "America first, second, and last" economic policy so setting up shop in Canada maybe too politically unpalatable.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 9:56 PM
Heart of the Continent

Toronto is probably the best fit - but if the company executives prefer Boston....

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:08 PM
The New Republic

^^ Have Amazon executives indicated that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

Of course the big problem is Trump's "America first, second, and last" economic policy so setting up shop in Canada maybe too politically unpalatable.
Bezos hates Trump and the US has been the beneficiary of many Canadian companies moving their HQ to the US.

Seagram was a Montreal company but was run out of New York. Thomson-Reuters is a Toronto company but run out of Connecticut. Potash Corp of Saskatchewan is based in that province but run out of Chicago. Lions Gate Films is a Vancouver company that is run out of LA. Then there are all the tech start ups that move to the US because the US based VC companies encourage that to happen.

Amazon is a higher profile company than any of those but the US shouldn't complain now that the shoe is on the other foot. They've been the biggest beneficiary of this sort of thing for decades.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:14 PM

I wonder if they will announce a short list. That's when the competition will really gear up.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:15 PM
The New Republic

^^ Some analysts have concluded that it's really a race between Denver, Atlanta, Washington, Toronto, Chicago, and Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
If it's Canada it's Toronto. But it won't be Canada. Why would they introduce that level of regulatory disconnect? No Canadian advantage would be worth it; you can pretty much gerrymander yourself whatever sort of "Canadian" experience you want in the US. It's a big country.
I don't think it can be viewed as a move to Canada if the 2nd HQ comes here. It should be considered as the globalization of Amazon. They've pretty much set up a de facto HQ in London already. This is a case of a massive country wanting to capitalize on talent around the world and not being reliant on the whims/favourable conditions of any one nation.

Going to Toronto makes a lot of sense. They'd still have their Seattle HQ and many argue that Amazon will eventually be broken up if it continues to grow as it has. Having dual HQs would make a split easier. Shell has dual HQs as does Unilever and Molson-Coors.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I can't find the article now but I was reading one this morning and it was saying its pretty much going to go to Denver, but the same article says that bezos just spent $23 million on a house in washington DC...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
He bought the D.C. mansion in late 2016.
Bezos first bought the Washington Post in 2013.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
^^ Some analysts have concluded that it's really a race between Denver, Atlanta, Washington, Toronto, Chicago, and Boston.

I don't think it can be viewed as a move to Canada if the 2nd HQ comes here. It should be considered as the globalization of Amazon. They've pretty much set up a de facto HQ in London already. This is a case of a massive country wanting to capitalize on talent around the world and not being reliant on the whims/favourable conditions of any one nation.

Going to Toronto makes a lot of sense. They'd still have their Seattle HQ and many argue that Amazon will eventually be broken up if it continues to grow as it has. Having dual HQs would make a split easier. Shell has dual HQs as does Unilever and Molson-Coors.
Is Molson-Coors really considered to have a dual HQ? Coors seems to be overwhelmingly dominating that 'merger'. In Colorado you're lucky if you can find Molson anywhere, whereas Bud and Coors have essentially replaced Molson and Blue as far as I can tell in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:49 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
Is Molson-Coors really considered to have a dual HQ? Coors seems to be overwhelmingly dominating that 'merger'. In Colorado you're lucky if you can find Molson anywhere, whereas Bud and Coors have essentially replaced Molson and Blue as far as I can tell in Canada.
There's an interesting discussion to be had - what beer is prevalent in your region?

Because in Vancouver I'd say Molson (Canadian) and Budweiser are tied at the top for visibility and consumption. Coors definitely lags, here behind Kokanee (Labatt). Blue has next to no shelf presence, and I've never actually seen someone drink one.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I agree with Boston having a good chance as well as Washington. Chicago and Philly have a lot going for them but they don't come close to offering the quality of life needed to get and keep a skilled workforce ie astronomical crime/murder rates.

Both Boston and Washington offer a high quality of life, have a very skilled workforce, excellent universities, good transit, and transit to their airports.

Frankly I still think Toronto has more going for it than either due to the added benefit of Canada's much lower corporate tax rates and the dollor "subsidy" which allows Amazon to hire 50,000 Canadian workers for the same price as they would get hiring just 40,000 Americans.

I sometimes wonder if Canada would actually do much better in terms of being able to build its own corporate champions without the option of NAFTA visas making it easy to lure top Canadian down south. Yes, Canada is easier to attract new talent to north America, but after Canada has invested in new immigrants to build their language skills, etc., it's really easy to shift them down to the US...

In my own experience, right before Trump was inaugurated, bringing a Canadian to the US was easy peasy. In our own experience, it is way easier to get a Canadian to move down to the US than vice versa. So would Amazon really gain that much by placing a 2nd HQ in Canada vs. somewhere else in the US? I'm skeptical, especially considering all of the additional headache that the cross-border complexity would bring. The US has designed its tax system to make it quite difficult for benefits to leak out, much more so than Canada has.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
There's an interesting discussion to be had - what beer is prevalent in your region?

Because in Vancouver I'd say Molson (Canadian) and Budweiser are tied at the top for visibility and consumption. Coors definitely lags, here behind Kokanee (Labatt). Blue has next to no shelf presence, and I've never actually seen someone drink one.
That's interesting to hear. I became hilariously excited when I saw Blue being sold in on draft in a dive bar in Denver, and made a point of ordering one. Something I would NEVER do in Canada! In Colorado there really isn't a prevalent beer...there's so many microbreweries that it's completely different beers wherever you go.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:59 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

With the big breweries Molson dominates in Quebec. Mostly Molson. Coors is a cheap beer you bring 55 cans of to a cottage week-end or a fishing trip. Bud is the most visible Labatt product now. Also seen as cheap swill.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:14 AM

Interesting analysis.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...t-data-decide/

I would disagree with the placement of Vancouver at number 10.

Something about the cost of buying a home drove it down the list. Cant be true.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
I sometimes wonder if Canada would actually do much better in terms of being able to build its own corporate champions without the option of NAFTA visas making it easy to lure top Canadian down south. Yes, Canada is easier to attract new talent to north America, but after Canada has invested in new immigrants to build their language skills, etc., it's really easy to shift them down to the US...

In my own experience, right before Trump was inaugurated, bringing a Canadian to the US was easy peasy. In our own experience, it is way easier to get a Canadian to move down to the US than vice versa. So would Amazon really gain that much by placing a 2nd HQ in Canada vs. somewhere else in the US? I'm skeptical, especially considering all of the additional headache that the cross-border complexity would bring. The US has designed its tax system to make it quite difficult for benefits to leak out, much more so than Canada has.
At the end of the day, much of it is about money. I'm on a NAFTA visa working in the US as a lawyer. I know others in a similar situation (although they're usually in STEM). Many of us prefer Canada and many of us return to Canada, especially if you decide to have kids. Canadian cities are great. But god damnit, the salary discrepancy is enormous. Hard not to expect many young people who fit within the NAFTA visa jobs (mainly professionals) to do a stint in the US to get ahead financially.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:23 PM
I am the law!

That's where you want to be as a lawyer. I don't think there's another place that promotes litigation and idolizes the profession as much as the US

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:17 PM

^ There's plenty of litigation but that's only one dimension... there's just so much more business to keep lawyers busy. You drive down a few KM of any random arterial road in a place like Houston or LA and there's a chance you will pass more square footage of office space than in all of a mid-sized Canadian city. That's a hell of a lot of enterprise that requires advice on mergers and acquisitions, financing, employment and labour issues, real estate, securities, tax, you name it. I can see the appeal.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:33 PM
I am the law!

Yeah, the US has more business so they need more lawyers. They also have a much larger population to produce many more lawyers. It all equals out. On the other hand, someone is far more likely to frivolously sue a doctor backed by a private, for profit insurer than a doctor backed by a public, non profit insurer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Interesting analysis.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...t-data-decide/

I would disagree with the placement of Vancouver at number 10.

Something about the cost of buying a home drove it down the list. Cant be true.
I posted this article a couple pages back.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:06 PM

Will this new ranking help? Maybe, maybe not...

http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/09/t...centres-world/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:16 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Will this new ranking help? Maybe, maybe not...

http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/09/t...centres-world/
Never mind the topic at hand: if Montreal really is the world's 12th-most important financial centre in the world, then...wow.

Kinda puts a crimp in the rightwing narrative about it having shot itself in the foot with its push over the past fifty years to protect its culture and language.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada