HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
It's only about a block or so away from Fraser Highway, and there's bus service along Willowbrook Drive. I'm certain there'll be a Willowbrook station when rapid transit gets there (around the year 3000 or so...).*

I kind of wish it met the street better. I guess it's an improvement over the area's vast parking lots, but some streetfront retail would be really nice.

*and now to raise the obvious point: Why the hell are we densifying an area that currently has some of the worst transit service in the Lower Mainland, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future?

Maybe this development will get Translink's attention and make them get serious about the idea of south-of-Fraser B-lines.
You have to start somewhere. Chicken and egg. If you start some densification it justifies increased transit and that increased transit justifies further growth. It isn't 1 or the other or 1 first then another second. It's back and fourth and typically you have to start with demand. More demand will justify extending rapid transit to that area and creating a focus for Langley and the valley.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
^I disagree. Langley was way ahead of Surrey on widening Fraser Highway and 64th Avenue, and while it's certainly not ideal, I'll gladly take the 200th St. interchange over the 176th St. deathtrap. I agree about 200th/Hwy 10, though, and 208th could certainly use some work. Overall, though, I'd say Langley's much better at roadwork.

Of course, Langley's residents make up for it by making Surrey drivers look competent (a true feat in itself).
200 Avenue interchange is awful. It's already at capacity, and traffic queuing for the lights in the AM peak often can come close to reaching Highway 1 through lanes.

216 will be built eventually, but even in the current Gateway plan, there's no plan for that (I've seen the updated drawings - even 192 Street is going to remain the same at this time, but when development warrants, the province and the City of Surrey agree that it will be constructed as a full-flow interchange at that time (with 192 Street being the location of the bridge, and the connection to Harvie Road will be lost)

176 Street will finally be a Parclo A4. Don't know what that is? It's probably the most efficient form of interchange present (only wish 200 Street was constructed like this).

All traffic entering the freeway exits to the right. All traffic leaving the freeway must turn left or right to access the local road.

Highly efficient in their location.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 9:41 AM

^ That'll be an improvement for sure. I'm not too worried about 192nd not getting the interchange yet...the street itself wouldn't be able to handle it. There isn't a single stoplight between Hwy. 1 and Fraser Highway. Maybe after the connector is built, the road gets widened, and the 4-way stops get replaced by proper intersections, which is all supposed to happen sometime this decade...

Back to Langley, and this project: I'm a little disappointed that the renders don't show any change in the 196th/Willowbrook Drive intersection. That spot could sure use a roundabout, or at least something a little more pedestrian-friendly.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 7:00 AM

192nd I believe was only built to take pressure off 200th for trucks heading to and from Tilbury. It's also served as a bit of a 'dodge' interchange when you want to get to Golden Ears. I find it often quicker to go that way than to try to get through the 200th street interchange. Heck even getting off at 176th, heading south a bit, and left onto 96th/GEW is quicker 99% of the time.

200th is horrible. I think 200th is one of the few spots which would warrent an all-direction 4-leg interchange.

Oh well I digress. Still like the Langley proposal don't want to side-track to much.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 5:40 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Although this thread is supposed to be about the proposed new towers adjacent to Willowbrook Mall ( ) we've gone off on a transportation tangent for the Langley/Surrey area. Thus, with West Valley transportation in mind, do any of you know the schedule for completing twinning of the Fraser Hwy from about 180 street to well into Surrey in general and specifically the twinning from 180 street to about 168 street?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post
Although this thread is supposed to be about the proposed new towers adjacent to Willowbrook Mall ( ) we've gone off on a transportation tangent for the Langley/Surrey area. Thus, with West Valley transportation in mind, do any of you know the schedule for completing twinning of the Fraser Hwy from about 180 street to well into Surrey in general and specifically the twinning from 180 street to about 168 street?
It's all supposed to be finished sometime in 2012. It's a little frustrating going through the site every day and not seeing a single person on the job, but I guess they can't do anything until preloading is finished?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 5:43 PM
Hicksville Perspective

you're right never seems to be much of anything happening on the Fraser Hwy twinning ... most frustrating ... mind you the exact same thing happened on the recent Pac Hwy and Hwy 10 twinnings where nada happened for a longgggg time then all of a sudden the MOTH contractors got moving and voila there is now a good N/S and E/W transportatoin linkage through Cloverdale ... beats me though why the Pac Hwy wasn't upgraded to 6 lanes (at today's cost vs. 20 years from now) rather than 4 lanes as I think once the South Fraser Hwy is built, the TCH upgrade is complete and the Fraser Hwy twinning is completed that there will be a lot more traffic using the Pac to access South Surrey/Whiterock and the Pac border crossing than there is now ... but that's another story

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 10:02 PM

These towers would fit in really well in downtown Van.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:41 PM

So, I was surprised to learn today that the relative of mine whos on Township council literally told the owner of Berezan (while they were chumming up at some event) that she wouldn't approve the building unless it looked unique and had lots of green space. Not sure if that's reflected in the current design or not. It seems like it though.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
ARTchitecture

This would be great for Langley. Seeing as right now the city is basically a blight on the metro area and is one of the least dense cities in Canada. Is this the only project in the books for Langley or is anything else goin on to build up?

It's really unfortunate that the whole valley is just full of evangelical, backward thinking zealots. Abbotsford is the least dense major city in Canada and Chilliwack (though not quite a "major" city yet) isn't far behind. Political will vs. Christian bullshit. Too bad Chilliwack's mayor is a pastor.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:52 AM

^^
not everyone from the valley is like that.. just saying..
high density neighbourhoods are in the works for Langley around the Events Centre and even in Langley City.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
ARTchitecture

Well I know that of course . I meant the general culture of the valley is hyperconservative.

That is awesome to hear that they are finally planning for some developments. That should also spur some more interest in extending the skytrain to Langley by 2030. The train just had to have somewhere to go to first

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Well I know that of course . I meant the general culture of the valley is hyperconservative.
I think you're making an unsupported thesis about the cultural dynamics of the Valley. Measuring development in the Valley is not based on density alone, nor does the lack of density infer a conservative platform.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:08 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah but the fact that Abbotsford is the most religious major city in Canada does. lol. How is this theory "unsupported"?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
This would be great for Langley. Seeing as right now the city is basically a blight on the metro area and is one of the least dense cities in Canada. Is this the only project in the books for Langley or is anything else goin on to build up?

It's really unfortunate that the whole valley is just full of evangelical, backward thinking zealots. Abbotsford is the least dense major city in Canada and Chilliwack (though not quite a "major" city yet) isn't far behind. Political will vs. Christian bullshit. Too bad Chilliwack's mayor is a pastor.
Wow. Nice to such open mindedness.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 7:58 PM

the lack of towers in Langley has nothing to do with the "conservative" or non progressive thinking residents or councillors - it has to do with economics.

staff and council have been supportive of higher densities in many Langley communities, but the development community can't make the numbers work for concrete...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 12:17 AM

In fairness, it is proving semi-difficult for Surrey to even get more and more high density projects outside of 150 unit townhouse complexes and it is 1) designated as the second regional downtown and 2) has some of the best investment and development insentives in Metro-Vancouver.

So it is certainly not surprising to me Langley doesn't have these projects 1) on the go yet and 2) falling out of the ying-yang.

People just seem to want to develop high-density in Vancouver and Burnaby. New West is going a better job lately but for some developers it seems if you say "Surrey" to them they think trailer parks and farms let alone Langley which those same people probably think is a giant wilderness of forests and people running around in loin cloths hunting for food with spears.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 7:25 AM

Remember, this is BEREZAN!

...they were the ones that build short one story strip malls and decided one day to construct an 80-story tower in Surrey City Centre...

I really don't think this will happen (I want it to happen - I live on the hill in Cloverdale that overlooks Langley and I have wanted to see a 'scraper go up for ages). Isn't the soil too clay based to build anything that tall before shelling out the big bucks to stabilize it first? Also, other than the fact that it adds some very much needed density to Langey, are there really any other benefits? Translink will continue to ignore this part of the region even if these towers go up, and the road conditions will just get worse.

To be VERY blunt, if any group other than Berezan decided to create some nice towers in Langley, I would wholeheartedly support it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 8:00 AM

yeah there is heavy clay in Langley center. it starts about 4-6 inches down in most places.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley