HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

View Poll Results: Favorite Texas City?
Houston 37 30.33%
Dallas 17 13.93%
San Antonio 19 15.57%
Austin 32 26.23%
El Paso 2 1.64%
Fort Worth 10 8.20%
Other(West Texas Town) 2 1.64%
Other (Beach Town) 1 0.82%
Other (suburb) 0 0%
Other 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 9:52 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Austin a small college city??? I wouldn't call a city of 800,000 people small.
I would definitely not call a metropolitan area of 1.8 million small, either.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Austin isn't small, but it is certainly much smaller than Houston or Dallas. It's all a matter of perspective, though.

I'm sure to someone from NYC or LA, H-Town and the Big D seem really small. Yet to someone from San Angelo, Austin would seem like a bustling metropolis.

The truth is, Austin is a rapidly growing mid-size city, who was a small city in the not too distant past. As recently as 1980 the five-county metro area only had a population of a little less than 600,000 people. It's really incredible to think that the population has tripled in 30 years.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 1:54 PM

Were it 20 years ago, we could still make some arguments for Austin being "small". But the city has grown significantly. And depending on where you are, Austin "feels" bigger than cities like Houston or Dallas... especially if you're in the urban core.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
~Hook'em~

Austin, SA, Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth

I used to hate Houston with a passion, even though I always liked all their pro teams over the Dallas ones. But other than sports I always hated the city. Now that has changed, and I really could care less about the sports and the city has grown on me a lot so moved up past DFW. That is not a bad reflection on DFW since it has also grown on me a lot and I like it a hell of a lot more than I used to. It is just that Houston has grown on me more than DFW. Both I like a lot more than I did 10-15 years ago when I was a college age goofball.

San Antonio is just a fun town. Lots of my kinda food, music, I love Sea World and I am a huge history nut and love the romance of the river walk.

Austin is my top because it is where I am from and it has always been my favorite. I really would not want to live anywhere else. It is smaller than the others which is better for me, yet it still has all the fun stuff I need, and people I enjoy.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 2:43 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivist View Post
Were it 20 years ago, we could still make some arguments for Austin being "small". But the city has grown significantly. And depending on where you are, Austin "feels" bigger than cities like Houston or Dallas... especially if you're in the urban core.
Kevin or M1EK posted statistics somewhere that show that Austin has more people living within a one (or five?) mile radius of its downtown than all of the other major Texan cities.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 3:59 AM
~Hook'em~

If you included UT's West Campus that wouldn't surprise me. That area has a crapload of people. And they are still building and starting new stuff up there.

South of the river though it still very much feels like a small town. Which I like.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 9:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Your right about west Campus, that area is continuing to densify with several new large residential projects under construction. I pass through that part of the city 2 times a week and there are streets where you go through that have rows of 6 floor and higher buildings on either side of the street. Reminds me of some of the cities of the Northeast U.S.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 6:14 PM

Dallas,because it has the biggest recruiting base from the State of Texas for the University of OKLAHOMA!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Dallas,because it has the biggest recruiting base from the State of Texas for the University of OKLAHOMA!!!!!!
Don't stir trouble.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 11:08 PM

El Paso gets my vote, only city I have been to in Texas with the exception of Odessa and Pecos....

Plus I'm directly related to the first white person to settle where the city is today

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral