HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:13 PM

^

Well, I agree with you Agrant that billboards would be less desirable than lets say a cool piece of public art that somehow used video/lights/sound. We don't have to cover anything up. I think adding onto, or somehow finding a creative yet asthetically pleasing way to integrate screens/neon projections onto what we already have would be nice. I think Vancouver has a pleasing base to work with, but odd little paintbrush stroke here an there would be a welcome colorful change.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:14 PM

Sears building comes to mind... And are we not just copying other cities that have dense downtown cores? Are we not just copying other cities that have good metros? Are we not just copying other cities that have gone green? Sometimes a good idea is just a good idea. Why do we need better information screens at skytrain stations, that is just copying other cities! That mentality is silly, it is not copying, it is creating a vibe, and it would become Vancouver's vibe. Why dont we think out of the box, how about the world's first LED trees covering the Sears building, haha! It would be a light display and something unique

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Sears building comes to mind... And are we not just copying other cities that have dense downtown cores? Are we not just copying other cities that have good metros? Are we not just copying other cities that have gone green? Sometimes a good idea is just a good idea. Why do we need better information screens at skytrain stations, that is just copying other cities! That mentality is silly, it is not copying, it is creating a vibe, and it would become Vancouver's vibe. Why dont we think out of the box, how about the world's first LED trees covering the Sears building, haha! It would be a light display and something unique
I agree. We should do something unique, which we are doing.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:23 PM

I also really want more of the heritage neon signs to come back, i love the old pics of Granville. As i have said before i do love the new street lighting plans of Granville, it is a big step in the right direction. But yes, keep the trees away, they make Granville feel to tight, the more open aspect of it now is great.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:30 PM

Was there not some mention a while back about an initiative to introduce some of those old signs back on the Granville strip? I remember reading that in an earlier post maybe about the redesign...forget what thread it was in now though. Anyways yeah that would be nice, you could really pull that off in a classy way if done tastefully and not just randomly erected back up onto the sides of buildings.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:38 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Biggest TV screen city's seen coming soon to Portage Ave.

IT will be, without a doubt, the biggest big-screen television in Winnipeg and it could cause the largest fight over the remote control the city has ever seen.

Creswin Properties, a real estate company controlled by the Asper family, has started construction of a 470-square-foot "media panel" at the corner of Portage Avenue and Notre Dame Avenue.

"You don't find something like that in too many living rooms," said John Wintrup, principal planner for the City of Winnipeg, which had to approve the project.

Half of what will be shown on the giant screen, which will sit about six metres off the ground, will be provided by Global Television, the television broadcasting arm of the Asper-run Canwest Global Communications. Of the rest, 30 per cent will be paid advertising and 20 per cent will be community programming, including public-service announcements for charities and non-profit groups.

Wintrup said the giant screen will give Winnipeggers a small taste of New York's Times Square or even Yonge-Dundas Square in downtown Toronto.

"It certainly is beneficial to a city. Dundas and Yonge is an urban plaza that creates some life using signage and animation. There certainly is potential at Notre Dame and Portage for that to happen here. We probably need to see more urban plazas in Winnipeg," he said.

David Asper, Creswin's chairman, agreed. He said the real estate company is always looking for ways to make its Canwest Place property, where Canwest Global leases space, more interesting and vibrant for tenants and other users of the building and concourse.

"We want to participate in enlivening and animating downtown," he said. "It's not only a means for advertising, but to dramatically show images and video of our community and to be reactive to what's happening on a daily basis with news, weather, sports and information."

Construction began several weeks ago and is set for completion next month, in time for a week or two of testing before going live March 1. The work site is currently covered by 40-foot-high scaffolding wrapped in orange tarps.

Bruce Leslie, vice-president of marketing and corporate communications at Creswin, said with 10-millimetre pixels, its video board will have twice the resolution of the few other outdoor screens around town.

He said the price tag isn't being released, but the company's research has shown the screen will be the biggest west of Toronto.

"It's LED (light-emitting diode) technology. It's state of the art in terms of outdoor display panels," he said.

Asper said he hopes the Canwest courtyard will be a place where people gather to hear live bands (simulcast on the screen), watch major international events or take in a sporting event or two. "I fully expect Winnipeggers will be able to gather there to watch the Bombers win the Grey Cup in 2009."

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:53 PM

Great! Now even Winnipeg is getting in on the act.

How many cities have to pass us by before somebody does something about it and livens up our snooze inducing downtown?

In the 50's we were said to have more neon signs than just about anywhere on earth. Each creation seemed aimed to outdo the last and Vancouver's then tiny downtown absolutely glowed. Now, it seems cities like Winnipeg are making their downtown's more exciting while ours is one giant residential neighbourhood. YAY!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:58 PM

I share your feeling. I just though having a huge screen downtown would be so awesome if it played sporting events! Hockey, football, soccer even our local baseball team. When i say LED screens they don't have to be just advertisements

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:00 AM

A few large screens outside the CTV/HMV building would do wonders for Robson and Burrard.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I share your feeling. I just though having a huge screen downtown would be so awesome if it played sporting events! Hockey, football, soccer even our local baseball team. When i say LED screens they don't have to be just advertisements
Absolutely. I know in Toronto they showed the Leafs home opener on the big screens which attracted a large crowd of people. Could only imagine what that area will be like if Canada is playing in the gold medal game in 2010. What a great atmosphere!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 5:39 AM

Why can't we transform Granville St. into something like Yonge Street in Toronto?

Something like this, maybe:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 6:27 AM
Cheers!

I'm trying to see what the appeal is in that picture. Hilary Duff? Seriously, we can do our own thing and still create a nice vibrant area. We don't have to copy Toronto. I'd rather see beautiful buildings than huge ads that resemble something out of a trashy magazine.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 6:30 AM

Well i want morel lights/screens, the style above is not integrated well, but there are many areas in metro Vancouver screens could be integrated well, as mr. x pointed out HMV downtown is a good spot (some blank walls around there) and of course the Sears building

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 6:39 AM
Cheers!

Actually, I think there are parts of Broadway that could use something like that. Most of the buildings are hideous looking. Some covering up would do wonders.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I'm trying to see what the appeal is in that picture. Hilary Duff? Seriously, we can do our own thing and still create a nice vibrant area. We don't have to copy Toronto. I'd rather see beautiful buildings than huge ads that resemble something out of a trashy magazine.
I'm not saying that we should copy Toronto, but Toronto does have quite a bit more decorative lighting, and Yonge Street is really the place to be when I was there, lots of people walk down that street. It was a vibrant place. Vancouver definitely needs a street like Yonge Street. I can see Granville Street being a better street, and a street that could potentially be much more vibrant than Robson street (if they do things right).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 2:43 PM
Cheers!

I think the ads were there because of the throng of people before, not people came because of the ads. Anyway, as someone may have mentioned before in this thread, I don't even know if they allow that sort of display of billboards in Vancouver. I was just thinking about the huge ad aparatus that used to be on top of the building at Main and Broadway - Not there anymore.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 5:01 PM
Site 8 Lives

The logical place for a giant screen would be the to-be-constructed "civic square" at Granville/Robson. Do any forumers here know if a screen would be integrated into the redesigned block?

I agree with the above poster -- it would be amazing during the Olympics.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 5:43 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I think the ads were there because of the throng of people before, not people came because of the ads. Anyway, as someone may have mentioned before in this thread, I don't even know if they allow that sort of display of billboards in Vancouver. I was just thinking about the huge ad aparatus that used to be on top of the building at Main and Broadway - Not there anymore.
The Lee Building, you're speaking about. That building is an absolute treasure - first modern highrise in Vancouver. Imagine what it looked like back in the day when everything from Mt. Pleasant to downtown was housing/low-height industrial. . .

The billboard on the Lee Building was also what brought in the revenue to keep the building up-to-date. The residents' association used proceeds from the billboard to modernize the building in (I believe) the 70s and have kept it fiscally in the black since then - the lack of revenue is now a real worry.

This is the other challenge facing giant LCD screens on the corners of buildings - those things aren't cheap. Ignoring construction and installation costs, electricity for a screen for the year is huge - definitely enough to bump a building (as an example) out of the range of several different EA LEED credits.

With the city in as much of a crunch as it may be at this point (Olympic Village), who will pay for people to watch sports games? Who is going to pay for the traffic revisions to allow Granville and Robson (or Burrard and Robson) to become pedestrian-only squares, as they would inevitably have to become to make room for the watchers?

I'm not so much for the advertisements - seeing Bloor St. advertising cheap beer and Hillary Duff up there sort of seals its own fate, in my opinion - but I really do like Metro-One's ideas for the sports games. I'm as much of a Canucks fan as anyone else and I'd love to be able to follow the games while bar hopping.

I would almost argue that rather than having the screens up on an intersection, the best place for them would be the art gallery site - regardless of the fact that they would take away from a beautiful building (rather than adding to the molten marshmallow that is Sears), there would at least be a) public space readily available, b) a chance for advertising and cost synergy between the AG Foundation, the city, and the public, and c) minimal disruption to traffic and flow around the downtown core.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:00 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

If the Lee Building was counting on ad revenue from that sign to operate and maintain the building as has been rumoured by many sources then something is seriously wrong with the way it's being managed.

Anyways this should please some people. The COV is planing on some permanent lighting upgrades.

Site Description
There are two areas for the legacy and decorative lighting projects. The first area is Yaletown, or more specifically Hamilton and Mainland streets north of Drake to Georgia Street. The blocks in this historic industrial area are under lit by current standards and form a natural link between the two Olympic live entertainment sites of David Lam Park and the former Larwell bus depot at Georgia and Cambie Streets and so this lighting project has an opportunity to provide the legacy of upgraded permanent lighting and temporary decorative lighting to connect the live sites. The second area selected for enhanced lighting is Cambie Street from the south bridge head to possibly as far south as King Edward Avenue. This stretch of Cambie was chosen for several reasons; it is a direct link from the airport to downtown Vancouver and it passes City Hall. Also the Cambie Street infrastructure has recently been rebuilt in conjunction with the Canada line street reconstruction so infrastructure upgrades to accommodate additional lighting levels will be minimal.

Kind of short timelime as the request is due feb 10 and work must be completed by Dec 15, 2009.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:50 AM

i saw some really cool lighting in some pics from new york

I'll try find them - they could do something like that with the blank walls at sears

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues