HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 2:06 AM

Echo Boomers Flock to the District, Arlington

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...e0e_story.html

Quote:
Amy Vance left the District for Arlington County two years ago to be closer to her husband’s job without feeling they were giving up the vibrancy of city life.

“I liked living in D.C., a lot,” said Vance, 31, as she walked her dog, Chewy, near the Courthouse, one of Arlington’s most popular neighborhoods for adults in their late 20s and early 30s. “But Arlington’s quiet­er and more walkable. I feel like I’m still living in the city.”

More than anyplace else in the Washington region, Arlington and the District have been successful in attracting an outsized number of residents between the ages 25 to 34, census statistics show. These young adults, part of a generation known as “echo boomers,” are one of the fastest-growing age groups in the United States, second only to people 55 to 64, a cohort swollen by baby boomers.

In the past two years, the number of people in the 25-to-34 age cohort increased by 12 percent in the District and 10 percent in Arlington County, far above the national average of 3 percent and the regional average of 6 percent. ...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast