HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 4:49 PM
Crane Goddess

The tower's grey coloration was the result of aluminum cladding put on over the bare steel. That particular type of aluminum had a real talent for playing with the light, appearing as many different colors depending on how the light hit it.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 4:52 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
The so-called Twin Towers II proposal backed by such people as Donald Trump would have been taller, safer, and better, and more updated. I think they should have rebuilt the twin towers or a very similar, updated version of them. Definately not going to happen at ground zero now, due to the new WTC buildings. Theres always midtown I guess, but I dont see that happening either due to lack of space. Im afraid the Twin Towers are relegated to history at this point.
Have you noticed that the people in charge of rebuilding the WTC site have never came up with a good answer to why they did not rebuild the Twin Towers with updates over the originals.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 3:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon23 View Post
Have you noticed that the people in charge of rebuilding the WTC site have never came up with a good answer to why they did not rebuild the Twin Towers with updates over the originals.
The towers would likely be much taller if you were to rebuild all of that space in single towers today, not to mention harder to finance. But that's besides the point of reintegrating the site back into the fabric of Manhattan.

Manhattan4

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 4:09 PM

It could have had been tramatic to some to see those two buildings rerise back into the sky. Especially since people have dark memories of the original Twin Towers burning, and collapsing. It could be worse for the people that made it out of the two buildings on that day, but I do love the Twin Towers architecturally. There was something fascinating about them though that I liked, and because of that reason I miss those two buildings. You know if someone finds land to rebuild them somewhere someday it would be a stunning thing to behold.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 12:32 PM

The only way they could of rebuilt the Twin towers on the site with the reintergrated street grid running it would have been to of built them on the original footprints and had a smaller memorial somewhere else on the site. But thats too late for that now.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 3:09 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
It could have had been tramatic to some to see those two buildings rerise back into the sky. Especially since people have dark memories of the original Twin Towers burning, and collapsing. It could be worse for the people that made it out of the two buildings on that day, but I do love the Twin Towers architecturally. There was something fascinating about them though that I liked, and because of that reason I miss those two buildings. You know if someone finds land to rebuild them somewhere someday it would be a stunning thing to behold.
We just just put one building with the same design as the Twins in Midtown,close to the Hudson Yards project. I think there's space.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 3:32 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
We just just put one building with the same design as the Twins in Midtown,close to the Hudson Yards project. I think there's space.
Really? Which one. Maybe you're referring to the Silver Towers which Larry Silverstein just put up. That doesn't look like the Twins at all.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Say what you want about the quality of architecture, it doesn't change the fact that they were the mightiest skyscrapers ever built.
But that's what was ultimately so terrifying about 911. They LOOKED like mighty buildings...but they were held up by a fairly flimsy outer steel skin. Inside there were huge spaces with nothing but dry wall.
And it showed when they fell into a pile of dust only six stories high. SIX STOREYS!
As the tight rope walker Phillipe Petit said after they fell: "Where did they go?"
I think a lot of shocked people including myself said the same thing: "110 storeys of mighty skyscraper just crumbled into dust. Is this some kind of magic trick? Or a huge mirage? Am I dreaming?
God, I remember it so well and thinking those very thoughts.
Thank god that no other tall skyscraper was ever built that way and never will be again.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 12:58 AM
Crane Goddess

Tube structure is actually very strong- the problem was with those floor trusses, being made of relatively thin steel compared to the heavier structural members of the outside perimeter and core. Once the floor trusses heated up and gave way, that broke the connections which held everything together. One New York Plaza suffered similar damage in a fire in 1970, what saved her was that the concrete floors over said trusses refused to give way.

It's been said that many other types of building structure would have collapsed immediately upon taking such a hit, let alone remained standing for an hour or an hour and a half.

As for where did they go, any building is about 90% air in terms of volume. And the sheer force of the collapse crushed the concrete in those buildings to dust, and squashed a lot of that steel. Those floor trusses, especially.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:41 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Really? Which one. Maybe you're referring to the Silver Towers which Larry Silverstein just put up. That doesn't look like the Twins at all.
No,I meant build a tower similar to the Twins in the few available spaces in Midtown. I made an error in the last post.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:22 PM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 8:50 PM

Some pics I took in early September 2001

Some pics I took in early September 2001. Enjoy!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Tube structure is actually very strong- the problem was with those floor trusses, being made of relatively thin steel compared to the heavier structural members of the outside perimeter and core. Once the floor trusses heated up and gave way, that broke the connections which held everything together. One New York Plaza suffered similar damage in a fire in 1970, what saved her was that the concrete floors over said trusses refused to give way.

It's been said that many other types of building structure would have collapsed immediately upon taking such a hit, let alone remained standing for an hour or an hour and a half.

As for where did they go, any building is about 90% air in terms of volume. And the sheer force of the collapse crushed the concrete in those buildings to dust, and squashed a lot of that steel. Those floor trusses, especially.
Yep, and another part of the problem was that (in comparison to 1 NYP) is that the concrete used in the Twin Towers was very light. I believe it was about 30% lighter than concrete normally used in highrises.

Not to mention the fact that the towers didn't have reinforced concrete cores. It's very possible those towers would still be standing (or would have at least survived long enough for the fire to be put out) if the towers had concrete and steel protecting the core, as opposed to wallboard gypsum.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 9:46 PM

I rather see the Twin Towers with 2 buildings. It's either that or don't rebuild them at all, because they were twins not one building standing alone in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 9:50 PM

Remember guys Leslie Robertson never thought much about fire. He cared more about a plane crash, or something similar. He didn't really give much thought to the fire. Back then the memories of the plane crashing into the Empire State Building wasn't faint. They thought that the buildings were so huge that they can hold the fire in place till the firefighters can put it out. They knew the building could take a plane crash. They took the crash of the Boeing 767's that hit them. What brought them down was the fire.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 9:58 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I rather see the Twin Towers with 2 buildings. It's either that or don't rebuild them at all, because they were twins not one building standing alone in the middle of nowhere.
Me too,but there's no space for them together in Manhattan,and there's some people who would like to see how the Twins really looked in real life. If they can't be rebuilt in that way,then I guess they are legendary for good.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 10:25 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:32 AM

That was so awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture