HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Metroplace in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 7:09 AM

[Burnaby] Metroplace | 141m | 46fl | Completed

Quote:
A new exclamation mark on Burnaby’s skyline

Intracorp’s new tower is an imposing 46 storeys of glass and concrete at the corner of Beresford Street and Telford Avenue. It will sit atop a four-storey commercial and community space on Beresford Street, with five-storey townhomes on Telford Avenue and two-storey townhomes facing south – a thriving new neighbourhood for Burnaby.

The block is designed to become the focus for public events that will take place on Beresford Street, a thoroughfare that promises to become Burnaby’s popular new celebration route. To add a flourish to the emerging streetscape, Intracorp will work with an established BC artist to create and place a striking new piece of public art.

With inventive architecture by Busby Perkins + Will and exquisite interiors by Insight Design Group, MetroPlace will soon be recognized as a landmark building in the Lower Mainland.
METROPLACE. HIGH STYLE HIGH RISE.

Building website: http://www.metroplaceliving.ca/

Last edited by vanman; Nov 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 7:37 AM

More info here, too:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_v...106707118.html

Quote:
46-storey highrise pitched next to Metrotown station

By Wanda Chow - Burnaby NewsLeader
Published: November 04, 2010 12:00 PM
Updated: November 04, 2010 12:14 PM

A proposed highrise development adjacent to the Metrotown SkyTrain station could be the first to take advantage of proposed new density bonuses for Burnaby’s town centres.

The project by Intracorp Lands Ltd. is being proposed for lots at the corner of Telford Avenue and Beresford Street, directly in front of the station. The property is currently occupied by a large warehouse and two single-family homes, and would incorporate the city-owned property at 6475 Telford Ave. and part of Beresford Street.

The developer presented an earlier proposal to public hearing in 2008 which consisted of a 28-storey tower with one storey of ground-level commercial space along Beresford, and 4,500 square feet of city-owned non-profit office space.

Last April, that proposal was shelved while the developer produced a new design that would incorporate the new supplemental community benefit density bonus policy which will itself go to public hearing on Nov. 23.

The new proposed concept consists of a 46-storey residential tower with a four-storey commercial podium on Beresford, a five-storey stacked townhouse podium component on Telford, and a series of two-storey townhouses along the site’s southern property line.

The commercial portion includes up to 16,000 square feet, over three levels, of city-owned community amenity space.

To go along with the reduced parking requirements as set out in the proposed new density bonus policy, “the developer has agreed to reduce the market value of the 41 units which have a parking stall as an option in the development,” a city staff report said.

A key component, according to the report, is a proposal for a public plaza along Beresford Street and a significant public art piece along Telford Avenue. Among the objectives of the design is to integrate the adjacent Maywood neighbourhood into the town centre. It will include pedestrian and cyclist-friendly linkages to provide easier access to Metrotown mall, the library branch and civic square, Bonsor Recreation Centre, and Central Park from the area south of Metrotown station.

It also aims to transform Beresford into a vibrant public space.

“Beresford Street will become the town centre’s outdoor living space; a place for people to gather and interact as well as a place for celebration.”

At Monday’s council meeting, the reaction from council members was generally positive.

Mayor Derek Corrigan said the proposal is “walker friendly” and will go a long way towards making people more comfortable walking to and from the SkyTrain station.

“It will be the safest transit station anywhere in the Lower Mainland once this development along Beresford is completed.”

Coun. Pietro Calendino said, “I hope it’s a catalyst for many more developments in that area and in Burnaby.”

The project is the subject of a public hearing at 7 p.m. on Nov. 23 at city hall council chambers.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 7:49 AM

Thanks for posting. I'm salivating at the thought of highrises south of Metrotown station. It's about time. As long as the existing lower income housing is replaced and incorporated into the new developments then it is a win-win-win situation for everybody involved.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 8:06 AM

Yes. Actually... at the same time I wonder if it's possible for them to like build an underpass connection to Metro now or roughed in for the future... and also upgrade the station and bus loop too.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Yes. Actually... at the same time I wonder if it's possible for them to like build an underpass connection to Metro now or roughed in for the future... and also upgrade the station and bus loop too.
I can't remember where I saw it (so if anyone knows maybe post) but I recall there was a proposal to reconnect one or some of the local streets between Beresford and Central Boulevard around Metrotown Station, in order to facilitate the gentrification of the area south of Metrotown.

It would be great if this development goes forward, that area is one of the most run down in Burnaby, and it should lead to the whole area being redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post
I can't remember where I saw it (so if anyone knows maybe post) but I recall there was a proposal to reconnect one or some of the local streets between Beresford and Central Boulevard around Metrotown Station, in order to facilitate the gentrification of the area south of Metrotown.

It would be great if this development goes forward, that area is one of the most run down in Burnaby, and it should lead to the whole area being redeveloped.
TransLink's plan for Metrotown Station was to have Beresford connect through that site so that buses could relocate under the station on a couplet after the renovation. I would presume that is part of this DP.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post

It's mostly apartments around there. That would be a lot of evictions to dish out on lower income people. I mean, the people who work in the malls and coffee shops all over Vancouver have to live somewhere.

Where this tower is going up is a commercial property along with 2 SFH properties (owned by the city I think). And in the render, there is another tower a few blocks away, where currently there are about 7 dilapidated SFH and a corner store. The rest of the apartment buildings probably aren't going anywhere until they are condemned.

However, the block where this is being built is basically the border between the nicer and uglier buildings. To the West it's actually fairly nice considering they are rental apartments, to the East those places are probably closer to falling apart on their own. But still, that's a lot of people to evict, mostly immigrants, which doesn't play well in the press.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 8:51 AM

At 46 stories it should be a decent hight as well. This will be good for the Metrotown skyline, which has the best location in the burbs for a skyline (perched on top of a 200m ridge)

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 11:09 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

AWESOME! thx for the updated info!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 11:15 PM

renderings look so old fashioned but the project looks cool

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 11:23 PM

Cool project, good location - nice to see some activity happening at Metrotown. I'm guessing the height will be around or just under 140 metres?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:04 AM

Kick ass looking project. I hope more will follow suit.

Will this be a new tallest for Burnaby?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:30 AM

Yes, by a long shot - current tallest is Metrotower II at 111 meters. However, I believe Bosa has proposed a tower for Kingsway and Willingdon that may go even taller. Exciting times.

Edit: Just had another look at the Empress Tower thread, and it's only proposed at 45 storeys - so maybe Metroplace, if built as proposed, will be the tallest for a while.

Last edited by Locked In; Nov 29, 2010 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:44 AM

^You bring up a good point. I would imagine Bosa would want the title of tallest building in Burnaby and would push for more height if their current proposal isn't taller than Metroplace already.

Btw thanks for the extensive updates today!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Yes, by a long shot - current tallest is Metrotower II at 111 meters. However, I believe Bosa has proposed a tower for Kingsway and Willingdon that may go even taller. Exciting times.

Edit: Just had another look at the Empress Tower thread, and it's only proposed at 45 storeys - so maybe Metroplace, if built as proposed, will be the tallest for a while.
i thought silhouette was the tallest in burnaby? they how they were selling themselves

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:59 AM

Thanks for posting!

The 4 storey podium looks rendered at 3 storeys.
Not keen on the corner treatment of the tower - also wish that the commercial retail wrapped around the side street more.

Given that this is the central business district of Burnaby - it would have been nice if the tower didn't look so residential.
i.e. more like 1 Bloor East in TO.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 1:30 AM

I really hope this tower, Empress, and Metro Tower 3 get off the ground this coming year, this would add a lot to the Metrotown area and further establish itself as the #2 skyline in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 1:34 AM
Vancouverite

Yes!
Finally some changes coming to the area south of the station. The area is just depressing and with these changes still incorporating lower income housing so that its a win-win for everyone is great! And I do have to agree with a poster above saying that the area is probably most run down party of burnaby.

And making it more pedestrian friendly will be great! Maybe more events on the street like the street hockey event on couple months ago.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 2:35 AM

Anything less than an all-commercial podium right next to a skytrain station is unacceptable. And the tower itself is ugly as hell... looks like a tall version of those GTA knockoffs with the corner combover... Why is it so hard to get a decent tower with a relatively un-schizophrenic architectural expression?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Anything less than an all-commercial podium right next to a skytrain station is unacceptable. And the tower itself is ugly as hell... looks like a tall version of those GTA knockoffs with the corner combover... Why is it so hard to get a decent tower with a relatively un-schizophrenic architectural expression?
I think they're too used to Vancouver demanding that each facade be "responsive" to the particular conditions (sun exposure, view blocking, etc.).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley