HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

City refines LRT corridor plans

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...corridor-plans

The city is laying out how development will look along the proposed LRT line.

City staff have pinpointed four development “nodes” along the rapid transit corridor: Wentworth St., Sherman Ave., Scott Park (near the Pan Am stadium) and the Delta. These areas will be targeted for concentrated commercial and residential development, as well as personal services.

The city hopes these hubs of development will boost neighbourhoods and promote development in areas that need attention.

Councillors approved the node strategy and asked for staff to develop an implementation plan at Tuesday’s Planning Committee meeting.

You can read a .pdf of the full report here.....
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...2_PED12063.pdf

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Light rail effort on track, city says

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...rack-city-says

A year after controversy erupted around the city’s rapid transit office, city staff say they’re still pushing to bring light rail to Hamilton.

Last summer, the city became embroiled in a debate about whether it was backing away from its pursuit of light rail transit (LRT).

Today, the city’s new director of transportation says his team is still working on gathering essential information it needs to forward to the province.

Hamilton LRT efforts have been combined into a new office that oversees all the transportation files in the city, including the HSR, cycling, foot traffic, LRT and inter-regional transit. Don Hull, formerly in charge of the HSR, is responsible for overseeing all of these files.

Hull says his team has been busy completing studies to forward to the province in advance of its decision about funding Hamilton’s rapid transit initiatives (which is expected in mid-2013).

These include noise and vibration studies to determine the effect of LRT on sensitive equipment at McMaster University, an environmental assessment of a new storage and maintenance facility, and more specific information about how much the project will cost.

Hull’s team is also studying how the LRT line could be phased in to help both the city and the province pay for the project.

“I think what’s really helpful is that we’ve taken on a very clear, focused mandate for 2012, so we know exactly what’s expected of us,” Hull said.

Until these studies are completed, Metrolinx chair Bruce McCuaig has said the regional transit authority won’t be able to make a decision about funding Hamilton’s LRT line.

Councillor Brian McHattie — who teamed with fellow councillor Jason Farr to put forward the motion reaffirming council’s support for LRT — says he’s pleased with the progress Hull’s office is making.

“I’m very satisfied. They actually are following up on each and every part of that motion that Councillor Farr and I moved and keeping in touch with Metrolinx,” McHattie said. “I think we’re in good shape.”

Last summer, Mayor Bob Bratina and city manager Chris Murray both made comments indicating the city was backing away from LRT in favour of pursuing all-day GO train service to Toronto. That prompted a motion from council in October supporting the continuation of a full investigation into the feasibility of light rail transit for Hamilton.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
Concerned Citizen

"Hull’s team is also studying how the LRT line could be phased in to help both the city and the province pay for the project."

Considering the original proposal was for the province to pay for the whole thing, I don't see council going for it if the city is on the hook for any of it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
"Hull’s team is also studying how the LRT line could be phased in to help both the city and the province pay for the project."

Considering the original proposal was for the province to pay for the whole thing, I don't see council going for it if the city is on the hook for any of it.
Was that the original proposal? Ottawa, Waterloo Region, Brampton, York Region and Toronto (when you look at all the projects together, not just bits and pieces) all have significant municipal contributions.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 5:27 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Was that the original proposal? Ottawa, Waterloo Region, Brampton, York Region and Toronto (when you look at all the projects together, not just bits and pieces) all have significant municipal contributions.
According to the original proposal it wasn't supposed to cost the city a cent. Metrolinx was supposed to build it and run it. But then again that was a promise from the provincial government 2 elections ago. That's why the city jumped all over it. Streetcars for free. I don't see it happening if it's going to cost the city 100 or 200 million. Don't forget that's only for 1 line, the B line.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:31 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

LRT is already a 6 year old campaign promise. forget about it. it won't happen. The money will be spent on a new TTC subway.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 PM

The funding formula was never clearly defined. While some assumed a Hamilton LRT project would receive 100% provincial funding, that level of funding was never actually promised during any campaign. What was promised was a commitment to have rapid transit built in Hamilton, and that promise was translated into a placeholder in the MoveOntario 2020 plan for two Hamilton Rapid transit lines to be built by 2020.

I would expect the funding would probably work out to an 80/20 split. Unless of course the feds decide to pony up some cash as well.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 2:23 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The funding formula was never clearly defined. While some assumed a Hamilton LRT project would receive 100% provincial funding, that level of funding was never actually promised during any campaign. What was promised was a commitment to have rapid transit built in Hamilton, and that promise was translated into a placeholder in the MoveOntario 2020 plan for two Hamilton Rapid transit lines to be built by 2020.

I would expect the funding would probably work out to an 80/20 split. Unless of course the feds decide to pony up some cash as well.
If it's 80/20 as you say then it will never get built. The city will not spend that kind of money on 1 streetcar line.

In fact the city wouldn't have even gone as far as they have if they thought they were going to have to spend a dime on this. They have only moved forward thinking that the province was going to pay for it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:07 AM

The City's made it pretty clear that it's not willing pay a penny for LRT. Not the best attitude to have going forward and the results have been fairly predictable to date.

My feeling's always been that LRT is a one-shot deal. If we don't do it now, the opportunity may not arise again. That may sound dramatic to some but I've got the feeling that huge amounts of capital may not be available in the coming years.

If we'd taken this tack from the beginning - that we want it and are willing to pay for a portion of it - the situation might be different today.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:34 PM

Waterloo found LRT to be cheaper than no LRT in the long term, and voted to pay for it. The cost savings of intensification and the infrastructure that supports it must be considered. Hamilton doesn't have an endless supply of land to expand either, and yet must grow its tax base. As a taxpayer who plans to be in Hamilton long term, I support LRT from both a planning and a fiscal perspective, and I don't expect the city will pay nothing for it.

At minimum, the city is responsible for additional streetscaping that is not essential to installing new transit, but would add tremendous value to the overall project. This would not technically be an LRT cost, but something that would save money if done at the same time, and given the broader objectives of LRT, insane not to do. That said I would support 20% of the base costs of LRT being added to my tax bill. And in case anyone out there jumps to conclusions, I don't use HSR that often.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 10:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

The City has selected a LRT Maintenance Storage Facility, 330 Wentworth St N.

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...__PW11064a.pdf

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:55 AM

so wait...LRT is still alive?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:00 AM
It's Hammer Time

Who said it was dead?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:55 PM

The PDF isn't opening for me, unfortunately.

Does this mean tracks will run down Wellington as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msakalau View Post
so wait...LRT is still alive?
Yep, planning never stopped. Last I heard, we're the furthest along with our planning in Ontario.

Edit - And of course by Wellington, I meant Wentworth.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
The PDF isn't opening for me, unfortunately.

Does this mean tracks will run down Wellington as well?
Checked and the link is good.

On the very last page you'll see there's 8 options for a spur line to the storage facility. None going along Wentworth, mostly along Birch.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:36 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The Province or Metrolynx still hasn't showed us any money.

Last edited by realcity; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:54 PM

I believe spur line options 1a and 1b go along Wentworth.

If this is to be the maintenance yard, I would prefer to see the spur track run west from the site parallel to the CN track to James North and pick up the main LRT track there.

I really think the first phase of LRT should be a hybrid A-Line/B-Line LRT route that (at the bare minimum) has a route from James and Murray north to Gore Park, then west out to McMaster. This would link the James North GO station to the HSR's downtown terminal and follows the route with a population density most likely to prove LRT's sustainability. BRT can run on dedicated bus lanes along the rest of the currently existing A-Line and B-Line routes. Future phases can then expand the B-Line LRT eastward to Eastgate Square and the A-Line south to Mohawk College and the airport, with the new track following the same path as the dedicated bus lanes put down in the first phase.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:03 PM

Seems like Cannon / Birch / Sanford is the best option. The only disadvantage is that it would reduce Cannon St. by two lanes. I've seen Cannon down to two lanes recently due to road work and it seems to move just fine.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:25 PM

Hamilton’s light rail effort is on track, city says

Emma Reilly The Hamilton Spectator Sat Jun 16 2012

Transportation officials are completing studies to forward to province ahead of funding decision.

A year after controversy erupted around the city’s rapid transit office, city staff say they’re still pushing to bring light rail to Hamilton.
Last summer, the city became embroiled in a debate about whether it was backing away from its pursuit of light rail transit (LRT).

Today, the city’s new director of transportation says his team is still working on gathering essential information it needs to forward to the province.

Hamilton LRT efforts have been combined into a new office that oversees all the transportation files in the city, including the HSR, cycling, foot traffic, LRT and inter-regional transit. Don Hull, formerly in charge of the HSR, is responsible for overseeing all of these files.

Hull says his team has been busy completing studies to forward to the province in advance of its decision about funding Hamilton’s rapid transit initiatives (which is expected in mid-2013).

These include noise and vibration studies to determine the effect of LRT on sensitive equipment at McMaster University, an environmental assessment of a new storage and maintenance facility, and more specific information about how much the project will cost.

Hull’s team is also studying how the LRT line could be phased in to help both the city and the province pay for the project.

“I think what’s really helpful is that we’ve taken on a very clear, focused mandate for 2012, so we know exactly what’s expected of us,” Hull said.
Until these studies are completed, Metrolinx chair Bruce McCuaig has said the regional transit authority won’t be able to make a decision about funding Hamilton’s LRT line.

Councillor Brian McHattie — who teamed with fellow councillor Jason Farr to put forward the motion reaffirming council’s support for LRT — says he’s pleased with the progress Hull’s office is making.

“I’m very satisfied. They actually are following up on each and every part of that motion that Councillor Farr and I moved and keeping in touch with Metrolinx,” McHattie said. “I think we’re in good shape.”

Last summer, comments by Mayor Bob Bratina and city manager Chris Murray sparked concern about the city’s commitment to LRT. That prompted a motion from council in October supporting the continuation of a full investigation into the feasibility of light rail transit for Hamilton.

ereilly@thespec.com

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...rack-city-says

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:27 PM

McHattie fears Mississauga may get jump on LRT funding

By Emma Reilly The Hamilton Spectator Tue Aug 14 2012

Councillor Brian McHattie said on Monday that he's unsure whether Mayor Bob Bratina has lobbied the province to ensure Hamilton is at the top of the list for LRT funding.

Councillors approve four “nodes” along the proposed LRT route
A debate at City Hall about a light rail transit planning issue became a political discussion about whether the city is pushing hard enough for LRT funding at Queen's Park.

Councillor Brian McHattie said on Monday that he's unsure whether Mayor Bob Bratina has lobbied the province to ensure Hamilton is at the top of the list for LRT funding.

“I'm growing increasingly concerned that we haven't heard much about the overall LRT effort,” he said. “We're doing all this great work in Hamilton on the planning side … and it may well turn out that Mississauga has done a better job than us behind the scenes. This is a political process, and at this point, I have no idea where we're at.”

Bratina responded that though he's meeting with Transportation Minister Bob Chiarelli next week, he's not optimistic about the province's finances.

“When we see the premier going head-to-head with teachers, you've got to know there's a lot of pressure on spending in the province,” he said.

“I think I'm probably more nervous than I was a couple minutes ago,” McHattie responded. “I know the mayor's office has been involved, I think we need of a multipronged approach here.”

McHattie made his comments in a debate about a potential site for an LRT storage facility. After facing opposition from ward councillor Bernie Morelli, councillors tabled that decision for further review.

ereilly@thespec.com

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...on-lrt-funding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure