HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
Why the insult? Do you have anything constructive to say?
He does have a point. Houston's residential high rises, overall, are a bit dated. Uptown has the newest and most high rises. However, Houston does have some nice looking residential high rises from the 80s.

Given this building's location, I wish they would have built something more interesting or modern but the design does complement the park.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 3:04 AM
Ex Houstonian

The mayor is marketing for OPP, I dont see what the big deal is. That tower will help out downtown tons and will attract other developments downtown. More power to him.

Oh, and Texasplaya, people love dogging Houston on here, its like everyone has some personal vendetta against Houston since its not NYC or Chicago. They make it seem like its our fault that Houston has tons of parking lots still left to be covered up or something.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 3:37 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
The mayor is marketing for OPP, I dont see what the big deal is. That tower will help out downtown tons and will attract other developments downtown. More power to him.

Oh, and Texasplaya, people love dogging Houston on here, its like everyone has some personal vendetta against Houston since its not NYC or Chicago. They make it seem like its our fault that Houston has tons of parking lots still left to be covered up or something.
I can see it from the prespective of "conflict of interest". However I am thinking his intentions do not warrant any type of favoritism.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:09 AM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
Why the insult? Do you have anything constructive to say?
It's not an insult - sorry if you don't like my tastes but I expect something a bit better in a city Houston's size. New residential buildings in Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, etc. are all eons better than what Houston is getting - especially all of that Rococo garbage outside of downtown near Allen Parkway - blech.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:55 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
It's not an insult - sorry if you don't like my tastes but I expect something a bit better in a city Houston's size. New residential buildings in Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, etc. are all eons better than what Houston is getting - especially all of that Rococo garbage outside of downtown near Allen Parkway - blech.
I am sure this will be the beginning of more residential options for the future of Downtown Houston. The cities you mentioned above have other various factors besides size which has resulted an increase of critical mass. For a while, Downtown was nothing more than a urbanized "office park". Downtown Houston is in a much better position today; poised for future critical mass.

From an optomistic perspective, there will be more to come. You guys have come this far with providing critical mass. It should only get better.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

I love this towers design. Its different and I dont see why people are saying it looks like some crap from the 80s. I dont know of any towers from the 80s that look like this. I love it, its one of the only towers downtown that arent composed of glass.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:20 PM
FYHA

From Monday...

Name's under wraps

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 2:59 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
We have a new building in Austin, the Ashton, that's very similar in size and shape to OPP. But its top has this goofy wave thing on one side. I'd take the faux chateaux look any day over that.

Photo by LoneStarMike
What the hell is wrong with you? The Ashton looks way better than this/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 5:30 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
It is your opinion that the Ashton looks better. Not a fact.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 6:12 PM

Yeah. I look at the Ashton everyday. It's nice and all, but I'd rather be looking at OPP everyday.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 5:29 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
Meh, I could take or leave either to be honest with you. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:02 AM
Hopeful Graduate

I still think the ashton has more character and detail than OPP. But I guess as I look at OPP more and more, its starting to grow on me.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 5:17 AM
Ex Houstonian

Pic of it today pretty much finished and seeing its impact on the skyline coming from Galveston.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 5:37 AM
Meh

^Sweet pic.

I'm really liking the roof actually. I'm not totally sure about the balconies, or those round windows at the top, but I do like the gabled roof. And I love those spikes on the roof. That lattice fence like structure around the roof is a nice touch too. I'm curious to see this one in person to see more of it.

Quote:
I love this towers design. Its different and I dont see why people are saying it looks like some crap from the 80s. I dont know of any towers from the 80s that look like this. I love it, its one of the only towers downtown that arent composed of glass.
Well, there is Chicago's 190 South LaSalle. It's 573 feet tall with 40 floors. It's an office building, and was built in 1987. When I first saw the rendering for OPP in Houston, I immediately thought of this building.
https://community.emporis.com/wm/bu/?lng=3&id=116764

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 9:33 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Quote:
Pic of it today pretty much finished and seeing its impact on the skyline coming from Galveston.

Sweet shot indeed!!!! One Park Place looks good here and compiments the skyline well!!!!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

Heres one more photo I took last Friday. I really hope thats not the freakin end roof style though. It looks just like a black tarp. I hope they at least put some tiles or something on it. Other than that, I love this building so much!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 8:11 AM
Meh

^Ooh, that looks nice. I'm sort of hoping they leave the roof gray. It compliments the balconies nicely. Just look at it, I don't think it's looked that good ever.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:22 PM
FYHA

Tenants have been moving in over the past month or so as construction is pretty much focused on the interior now. The remaining noticeable exterior work is essentially landscaping around the entrance along La Branch Street, as that fence has finally been removed.

They also appear to be washing the facade on a regular basis in addition to the daily window-washing.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 5:16 AM
Ex Houstonian

YAY, that means I wont be getting any more flat tires when I ride my bike past OPP hopefully. I swear, anytime I ride past that construction site on the way to Discovery Green I get a flat so I just gave up and didnt ride my bike down there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 9:52 AM
Oh yeah!

Nighttime Photos 10/14/09

The tower is finally lit up at night; I wonder if the lights will change for the seasons. This building looked too nice to be dark at night. Maybe more buildings will turn their lights back on in the future and follow the lead of the the new towers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive