HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
If all buses (including STO) were sent to Mackenzie King Bridge and Albert/Slater, would it allow for much wider sidewalks on Wellington as well, for more pedestrian activity between Parliament and Rideau? Also buses could be removed from Queen Street and bicycle lanes like on Laurier could be built there. Albert and Slater are already set up for bus movements, and with about 90% of them removed, the local and STO service could easily be accommodated.

The one issue is how to move STO buses back to Wellington to the Portage Bridge, convert Bay Street south of Slater to buses only?
I would suggest a northbound bus-only lane on Lyon and making one of the turn lanes onto Lyon bus only for southbound trip.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Nordstrom to add 400 local jobs as it readies to open

Vito Pilieci, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 12, 2014, Last Updated: November 12, 2014 10:57 AM EST

Fashion retailer Nordstrom is to hire 400 new employees to work at its new Rideau Centre store, which is expected to open in March.

The retailer said jobs will be posted and interviews for the new positions will begin on Thursday November 20.

The company said the positions will be in all areas of sales, although it did not specify how many of the positions are full time or what the starting wages are. It said it would offer competitive benefits for the positions offered.

Nordstrom is opening in the space once occupied by Sears at the Rideau Centre, which is undergoing a massive renovation and expansion which will see the new retailer take over the top two floors of the former Sears space.

The mall is in the midst of a $250-million, 180,000-square-foot expansion which will add about 35 per cent more space to shopping centre and is expected to be completed in 2016.

The ground floor of that space has already been repurposed into a a new food court offering a selection of 11 fast food restaurants in a 35,000-square foot space with about 300 seats.

http://ottawacitizen.com/business/lo...eadies-to-open

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 11:57 PM

Some progress from today:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:14 PM

wow, what a change! Way way way better than what we had! Lots new windows and nice glazing.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 4:20 PM

I'm just not sure where to go in the case of an air raid now that the Rideau Street bunker is disappearing.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 4:58 PM

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/econ...2_section_POS1

Le détaillant canadien de vêtements haute gamme pour hommes Harry Rosen a procédé à l'ouverture officielle de son 17e magasin au pays hier au Centre Rideau.
L'enseigne était déjà présente dans le centre commercial du centre-ville d'Ottawa depuis 1983, mais le design intérieur du local, dont la superficie a été agrandie pour passer à 17 000 pieds carrés, a été complètement repensé. Le nouveau concept comprend entre autres un rayon de chaussures, le tout premier à travers le Canada, et des bijoux pour hommes de la réputée marque londonienne Tateossian. Pour faire face à la concurrence accrue des enseignes américaines, de plus en plus nombreuses à s'installer en sol canadien, le détaillant fondé en 1954 compte sur un plan de développement de 100 millions $ à travers le pays. Sur la photo, on peut apercevoir le président et chef de la direction de l'entreprise, Larry Rosen, qui était de passage dans la capitale fédérale pour l'occasion.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:05 PM

Some of those renders make it look like Nicholas is going to be pedestrianized by the Rideau Centre. Is this actually happening?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Some of those renders make it look like Nicholas is going to be pedestrianized by the Rideau Centre. Is this actually happening?
That's just an artistic licence. Might happen someday though.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 4:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The progress as of this afternoon:

Photos by me. Dec 6, 2014

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 7:33 PM

Wow. Is this seriously Ottawa? Glad that the concrete facades are gone. Love the store-fronts that open up to the streets and the giant vibrant windows. Should improve Rideau St.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob64 View Post
Wow. Is this seriously Ottawa? Glad that the concrete facades are gone. Love the store-fronts that open up to the streets and the giant vibrant windows. Should improve Rideau St.
With the impressive Rideau Centre and Convention Centre redevelopments, it makes the last component of this complex look very shabby and old -- I'm referring of course to the Westin Hotel. True, the remodeled entrance looks great, but the tower is an unfortunate reminder of early 1980s design, and the tower is looking dirty nowadays to boot.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 11:34 PM

From OBJ article:

Quote:
Rideau Centre general manager Cindy VanBuskirk is keeping close watch on the transformation of the former Sears space.

“The Nordstrom store is going to be spectacular,” she says. It will include such amenities as a coffee bar and a licensed restaurant with an outdoor rooftop patio when weather permits.
http://www.obj.ca/Opinion/2014-12-19...l-expansions/1

Damn glad to hear it!!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 2:33 AM
Busy Beaver

So I guess the restaurant won't be along the windows on the Mackenzie King Bridge side? I think the only practical spot they could do a rooftop patio is here. Maybe it will over look the atrium court?

Edit: after looking at the photo in this post, it seems like they have cut a new access/windows on that spot

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Dec 24, 2014 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
So I guess the restaurant won't be along the windows on the Mackenzie King Bridge side? I think the only practical spot they could do a rooftop patio is here. Maybe it will over look the atrium court?

Edit: after looking at the photo in this post, it seems like they have cut a new access/windows on that spot
I think the window in the atrium court is part of the restaurant. Also, I may be wrong but I believe the doors on the roof were there when it was still Sears.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 6:09 PM

Looks like a Kate Spade is coming soon to Rideau Centre (via Twitter):

Quote:
@RideauCentre: Hey #Ottawa! We can't keep it a secret any longer @katespadeny is opening soon on L3!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:42 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Another nice score for Ottawa/Rideau. Tell your ladies!

In the Twitter comments, Rideau Centre indicates a spring opening. They also say to "check back soon", as "more exciting announcements" are coming.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:52 AM

After 2016, there may be push for a 2nd expansion at this rate, especially if everything consolidates...

Best place would probably be across Nicholas, in the 140-162 Rideau block (requires a second floor over Nicholas and working around the office building at 1 Nicholas though, but that is probably doable).

That would likely be a death blow to the suburban malls...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 1:02 AM

Quote:
After 2016, there may be push for a 2nd expansion at this rate, especially if everything consolidates...

Best place would probably be across Nicholas, in the 140-162 Rideau block (requires a second floor over Nicholas and working around the office building at 1 Nicholas though, but that is probably doable).

Slow down there

They still have the parking garage and Registrar's Office site. I don't think they will cross the street anytime soon.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:28 AM

Quote:

Do they own that block? I thought it belonged to Canderel.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:47 AM

Took some pictures with my cell phone yesterday. The renovated sections of the mall are very sharp. I'm impressed. Also note the new signage, already with LRT symbol.

Installing new tiles on lower level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa