HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Hamilton Grand in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
I'm sure Stinson projects have been discussed for years here.

I always understood that residential condo developers proceed on construction once they reach a threshold level of pre-sales.

Is there a core, fundamental flaw in his business plan? Endless red-tape at City Hall? Or is lack of financing/pre-sales at the heart of his endless delays?
Nobody trusts Stinson with their money.

It's unfortunate, because he has some great ideas and is a real Hamilton booster. But speaking for myself, I support his ideas and wish him the best, but I wouldn't go as far as putting up my hard earned money for one of his projects.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 4:07 PM

I think Stinson's biggest obstacle with Hamilton development has been his timing.

He started at the worst possible time here right when the economy tanked and it was near impossible to obtain financing for anything, never mind the trailblazing condo developments in Hamilton at that time.

Good on him for sticking it out, with all that risk.

I hope the more recent momentum and improving economy helps him succeed with the Stinson School and Hamilton Grand.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 1:33 AM

Stinson's issues predate his flight to Hamilton and the financial crash.

As has been said on here ad nauseum, he's got no money and nobody trusts him. And frankly, his ideas do very little for me: the school's a fine concept; the Hamilton Grand's weird at best; and the 100 storey Connaught thing, well...

His Toronto projects were pretty good, though again, he scurried out of that city with his turtleneck pulled well up over his face.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 6:10 PM

Did anyone notice in this piece about in the description for the Hamilton Grand at bottom: Anyone have background on this change? Don't really see the connection....

WHO: J. Lockwood Chrysler (Oakville) - Harry Stinson was originally involved

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/47...ilton-skyline/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevue View Post
Did anyone notice in this piece about in the description for the Hamilton Grand at bottom: Anyone have background on this change? Don't really see the connection....

WHO: J. Lockwood Chrysler (Oakville) - Harry Stinson was originally involved

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/47...ilton-skyline/
Yeah I was wondering what that was all about- hopefully someone can finally make something out of that sand pit- its quite an eyesore for downtown.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:33 PM

I've been waiting ages for something to happen on that lot, as well as the one at Main and Hughson. That stretch of Main is patchy, to say the least.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:48 PM

I emailed the writer of the spec article- Lisa Carr, to see if she had any additional information about J.Lockwood Chrysler's involvement.

She advised " I have little information except that the project is apparently on hold- I have that from more than Mr.Stinson. Lisa"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:08 AM
Hamilton forever

Changing the plan to a more traditional condo arrangement might be the smart thing to do. The mini-condo/rental/hotel concept seemed like a stretch, or at least something Hamilton is not ready for yet.

Though with a new name attached to the development perhaps something completely different could happen, in terms of the design or the type of building (presuming there's still a plan to even construct one)

Note that there's a J. Lockwood Chrysler auto dealership in Oakville. Jay Lockwood is the owner - here's more about him from an Inside Halton story. Is he into other types of developments, or is this his first foray? It's kind of odd that The Spec would use the dealership name and not the individual, unless he's using he dealership as the business entity holding the property.

That plot of land seems kind of small for a new car dealer (even if it were to be selling Fiats )

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:30 AM

Something like this would be my dream for that lot. Maybe add another 3-5 stories though.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:49 AM

As most car lot's are now on the upper mountain (Acura just relocated from Main at Longwood), I can't see a dealership going in there...unless of course it was a boutique lot....say for Fiats....attracting the condo buyers of downtown. That said...dealership on the mountain does sell Fiats already. A car lot (not ideal) could be much less prohibitive than remediation of the lot.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
As most car lot's are now on the upper mountain (Acura just relocated from Main at Longwood), I can't see a dealership going in there...unless of course it was a boutique lot....say for Fiats....attracting the condo buyers of downtown. That said...dealership on the mountain does sell Fiats already. A car lot (not ideal) could be much less prohibitive than remediation of the lot.
I know wrong page, but that former Acura lot would have to be a high potential spot for a condo tower, with Mac, the Innovation Centre, hwy, and on Main.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:27 AM
Hamilton forever

Quote:
I don't see it happening either, I just found it interesting that an auto dealer owner is involved now. But you never know... they could pick up that plaza next door and use both properties despite Bowen St. splitting them.

When I saw J. Lockwood Chrysler noted in the Spec's interactive map I thought it was a name and didn't connect it to car sales, not until looking it up.

There used to be a number of new car dealers downtown - Bay King, HMP, the Chevrolet dealer on Cannon, Acura of Hamilton...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:27 PM

Quote:
As most car lot's are now on the upper mountain (Acura just relocated from Main at Longwood)...
I managed to miss this somehow, though I spend a lot of time around this intersection. Thanks for this piece of information!

That makes two lots at Main at Longwood now unused, unless something is slated to take over the Acura dealership.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
I know wrong page, but that former Acura lot would have to be a high potential spot for a condo tower, with Mac, the Innovation Centre, hwy, and on Main.
I wonder if something is already afoot because shortly after that Acura dealership closed, road crews annexed the turning lane at Main and Bond and began making significant upgrades to the water/wastewater infrastructure. The City's standard MO is tackling infrastructure and resurfacing in one fell swoop -- often invoked as an explanation for inaction – so this is a notable departure from the script. (They may also just be taking advantage of the dealership closure to address infrastructure enhancements needed to accommodate long-range demand and/or residential intensification at Main and Longwood.)

Grand-wise, the weedland scrub lot is looking lush after the summer rains. Stands around three feet tall in places.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Nobody trusts Stinson with their money.

It's unfortunate, because he has some great ideas and is a real Hamilton booster. But speaking for myself, I support his ideas and wish him the best, but I wouldn't go as far as putting up my hard earned money for one of his projects.
As someone who owns, lives in Stinson school - it is very true. Nothing is ever Harry's fault despite long list of issues - he loves the blame game I love the building and it is a good place to live but it could have been great it just had terrible execution, not to mention 2.5 years behind schedule and still not done.

Most of owners talk n email or in a dedicate Facebook group, not one I know of is investing in his next project and that should tell you something.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton