HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 3:26 AM
I've been around

High gas prices: Cancel road expansion projects?

With high gas prices dominating and causing much higher transit usage and decreasing road usage, wouldn't it make sense to cancel a large percentage of non-maintenance road expansion projects and re-prioritize that funding towards transit?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 3:44 AM

Our government is not that smart.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 8:22 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man435 View Post
Our government is not that smart.
Our supportive of alternatives.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 5:48 PM

IMO, it would be a good idea to make up a portion or all of the difference by raising georgia's gasoline tax the 2 or 3 cents needed to be on par with the national average.

i would go the distance, make it a 5 cents increase and start funding a few of the many proposed metro transit options.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 9:52 PM

I think a lot of people just don't want to ride transit.

For one thing, it doesn't necessarily save you money. I live about 6 miles from work, and according to MARTA's transit calculator I'm better off driving.

In addition, it's far more convenient to drive. I can make the trip by automobile in 15-18 minutes, even in traffic. If I take MARTA, by the time I walk to the bus stop, ride the bus to the train station, transfer to the train, and then catch the shuttle to my office the best I've ever been able do to is about 45 minutes, and that's with split second timing.

Plus, the last shuttle from my office back to the station leaves at around 6:00 p.m., which is too early for me. With a car, I can come and go when I need to. Also, I need a car at work fairly often and if I take the train I'm stranded. And frankly, the creature comforts in my car, and the ability to haul stuff around, are nice. It's no fun tromping home from the bus stop in the rain when you're wearing a dress and lugging a purse and a briefcase, either.

All that being said, I still take MARTA fairly often, just out of a sense of duty, even though it's more expensive and much more difficult.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 9:59 PM

This seems like it would make sense, especially since the latest round of audits seems to indicate the Ga DOT has little skill in basic book keeping and was pretty clueless in prioiritizing and funding projects correctly to begin with.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I think a lot of people just don't want to ride transit.

For one thing, it doesn't necessarily save you money. I live about 6 miles from work, and according to MARTA's transit calculator I'm better off driving.

In addition, it's far more convenient to drive. I can make the trip by automobile in 15-18 minutes, even in traffic. If I take MARTA, by the time I walk to the bus stop, ride the bus to the train station, transfer to the train, and then catch the shuttle to my office the best I've ever been able do to is about 45 minutes, and that's with split second timing.

Plus, the last shuttle from my office back to the station leaves at around 6:00 p.m., which is too early for me. With a car, I can come and go when I need to. Also, I need a car at work fairly often and if I take the train I'm stranded. And frankly, the creature comforts in my car, and the ability to haul stuff around, are nice. It's no fun tromping home from the bus stop in the rain when you're wearing a dress and lugging a purse and a briefcase, either.

All that being said, I still take MARTA fairly often, just out of a sense of duty, even though it's more expensive and much more difficult.
your complaint about marta is an example why mass transit needs to be better funded in this area

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 1:01 AM

It would sure help if they'd simply send a bus down my street. We don't have one single MARTA line in our entire neighborhood. I pounded on MARTA to move an existing line closer, and they finally did shift it a little, but it's still about .6 mile to the stop. That's certainly doable but it's a little more than just walking up to the corner.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 5:59 PM

Quote:
It would sure help if they'd simply send a bus down my street. We don't have one single MARTA line in our entire neighborhood. I pounded on MARTA to move an existing line closer, and they finally did shift it a little, but it's still about .6 mile to the stop. That's certainly doable but it's a little more than just walking up to the corner.
That's too far. They need to do better, and they need to make the Marta stations look less like a prison.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
That's too far. They need to do better, and they need to make the Marta stations look less like a prison.
Ok. Why do want to waste money on trying to make the stations look less like a prison? It would be better use of those funds to get more station. Our stations are a lot better than stations in NYC.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 8:48 PM

Just a simple platform where I can get on and off the train works fine for me.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 3:58 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

So...how 'bout dem high gas prices?

$1.59 is killlllliiiinnnggg meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 4:41 PM

the best proposal i've heard in a long time was to put a "floor" on gas prices at $3.50. so there would be about a $2 tax right now per gallon. that would generate enough revenue to bail out all 3 automakers in one month. it would also force automakers to focus on efficiency and ignite our energy independence. there would be a tax credit for low income people (easily paid by the $15B in rev per month).

if gas goes above $3.50, there is no tax.

unfortunately, Americans aren't willing to sacrifice for anything and this will never happen. now that gas is cheap again, nobody cares about the future.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 7:23 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
the best proposal i've heard in a long time was to put a "floor" on gas prices at $3.50. so there would be about a $2 tax right now per gallon. that would generate enough revenue to bail out all 3 automakers in one month. it would also force automakers to focus on efficiency and ignite our energy independence. there would be a tax credit for low income people (easily paid by the $15B in rev per month).

if gas goes above $3.50, there is no tax.

unfortunately, Americans aren't willing to sacrifice for anything and this will never happen. now that gas is cheap again, nobody cares about the future.

$2.50 is much more reasonable...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 6:50 PM
Reliable Source

You guys are living in never-never land!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 4:01 PM

No matter what your politics, you have to give George Bush credit for bringing gas prices back down. It'll be interesting to see if Obama can keep them there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 4:46 PM
Reliable Source

I give equal credit to the Democrats.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 5:32 PM

Quote:
No matter what your politics, you have to give George Bush credit for bringing gas prices back down. It'll be interesting to see if Obama can keep them there.
I hope he can't.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
You guys are living in never-never land!
i agree with that. we will never sacrifice a penny for anything in this country.

we were willing to sacrifice for maybe one week after 9/11. not anymore.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 6:31 PM

Americans, especially Atlantans, need gas. The vast majority of our jobs and other destinations are nowhere near public transportation. The average Atlanta resident with a job has to drive 66 miles every day. So we sure don't need higher gas prices in the midst of this recession/depression. Many folks are barely getting by as it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta