HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 3:59 PM

Grand Rapids $5.1M Amtrak station

Michigan continues to build the nuts and bolts of a viable Intercity Rail networks. Grand Rapids' new station is a true Intermodal facility to accommodate, Amtrak, Indian Trails, Megabus, and The Rapid - a local commuter bus service.

MLIVE link

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — More than a year and a half after its official groundbreaking ceremony, Grand Rapids' new Amtrak station finally is being built.

Crews began moving earth this week to prepare for the $5.1 million facility's construction after more than a year of delays pushed back the highly anticipated project's start date.

"It's been a long time, really, because we always planned on this being a truly intermodal station," said Peter Varga, CEO of The Rapid bus system, which is spearheading the project.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 6:31 PM

While it is good news, passenger train travel in Grand Rapids still has much to be desired. Only one trip to Chicago is scheduled per day: leaving Grand Rapids at 7:40 AM (EST) and arriving three hours later, then leaving Chicago at 4:55 PM (CST) and arriving five hours later. The difference in time makes for a four-hour trip from Grand Rapids to Chicago. Grand Rapidians will continue to opt-out of taking the train when driving will only take three hours.

Service also needs to be restored between Grand Rapids, Lansing and Detroit, Michigan's three largest cities. Until meaningful, reliable and timely connections are the norm, train ridership in Grand Rapids will not reach its true potential.

Sorry for the rant.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 3:42 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.jam View Post
While it is good news, passenger train travel in Grand Rapids still has much to be desired. Only one trip to Chicago is scheduled per day: leaving Grand Rapids at 7:40 AM (EST) and arriving three hours later, then leaving Chicago at 4:55 PM (CST) and arriving five hours later. The difference in time makes for a four-hour trip from Grand Rapids to Chicago. Grand Rapidians will continue to opt-out of taking the train when driving will only take three hours.

Service also needs to be restored between Grand Rapids, Lansing and Detroit, Michigan's three largest cities. Until meaningful, reliable and timely connections are the norm, train ridership in Grand Rapids will not reach its true potential.

Sorry for the rant.
That train crosses a time zone, so the 3 and 5 hour trips you stated are actually 4 hours on the train. The distance between Grand Rapids and Chicago is miles. Per Yahoo Maps, that's 179 miles — Time: 2:45 hrs.
By car, you're averaging 65 mph. By Amtrak train and 4 hours elapse time, you're averaging 44.75 mph. In single track territory with several stations stops along the way, that's not a bad average for the train.

Could the train be faster, yes. Could you run into an hour delay on the highway due to an accident, yes.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 4:12 AM

*note: I did mention that the time difference equated to four hours.

I am just saying...even with this new station, we will likely still drive to Kalamazoo to grab the train because it is quicker, and there are more options. I know many people from the area who do the same thing.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the rant.
That's a rant? It is a legit point. The good news is that providing an in-state connection - or more specifically, the first step in an engineering and NEPA study - is one of the 2 components of a FY2013 TIGER grant application submitted by City of New Buffalo in partnership with MDOT and Amtrak. Link to their application webpage which has links to the 20 page executive summary of the application. The application is for $58.3 million in grant funds with Michigan contributing $14.6 million.

The application has 2 parts:
1. Preliminary Engineering and NEPA for a connector in New Buffalo between the Amtrak Wolverine corridor and the CSX tracks used by the Pere Marquette. If built, would allow the Pere Marquette to be switched to Wolverine & Blue Water route and stop at New Buffalo. Would also allow New Buffalo to be used as a connecting transfer station between the stops served by the Pere Marquette and the Wolverine & Blue Water. $2 million for the engineering.

2. Double track 19 miles of the Amtrak owned line from Niles to Glenwood Road. To be 110 mph second track allowing trains to pass at full speed, cutting trip times by up to 10 minutes. $70.8 million total.

The reality is that it is going to be difficult for the TIGER program to fully fund the federal portion with only $474 million to divide among many applications. The largest grants for FY12 were typically around $20 million each. MI will have to contribute more or find other funding. This is exactly the sort of useful project that a $1 or $2 billion a year high(er) speed intercity passenger rail program could fund. But the House has killed that for the present.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I like that bullet design. When will a winner be selected?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 6:17 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Sorry for the rant.

Agreed. Although, technically, Lansing is the fifth largest city, third largest metro.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:18 PM

Rail with city stop proposed
110 mph trains could reach Chicago in less than 2 hours
Quote:
The Northeast Indiana Passenger Rail Association says a case can be made for high-speed passenger train service between Columbus, Ohio, and Chicago – with Fort Wayne an important stop in between.

Geoff Paddock, a founding board member, said the results of an $80,000 feasibility study will be released Friday as the group holds a fundraiser at the University of Saint Francis Performing Arts Center, 411 W. Berry St. (formerly the Scottish Rite Auditorium). The group will be showing the film, “TrainsForming America,” on how trains changed the country and could do so again, followed by a question-and-answer period with filmmaker/director Rebecca Sansom.

Paddock said the study was requested by former Gov. Mitch Daniels to show what the system would cost and its potential economic impact.

The study examines a passenger train that would run from the Columbus International Airport to downtown Chicago, with stops in Columbus, Marysville, Kenton and Lima, Ohio; Fort Wayne, Warsaw, Plymouth, Valparaiso, and Gary.
Source: http://fortwayne.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...8/1005/TOPNEWS

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:22 PM
TL;DR

Englewood Flyover (sorry for the crappy cellphone pic)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 2:14 PM

Fort Wayne gets in the game with aggresive pax service plan

Northeast Indiana Passenger rail Association Executive Summary

NIPRA Fort Wayne Indiana
Passenger Rail Corridor Study Released
For Release June 28, 2013 9:00 AM

COMPLETION OF PASSENGER RAIL PLAN ANNOUNCED FOR NORTHERN INDIANA & OHIO CITIES : SERVICE FROM COLUMBUS THROUGH FORT WAYNE AND WARSAW TO CHICAGO

The Northeast Indiana Passenger Rail Association, Inc. today announced the release of a Business Plan laying the groundwork for a regional, eleven-city, passenger rail corridor between Columbus, Ohio and Chicago, Illinois through Fort Wayne and Warsaw, Indiana.

The proposed system would operate twelve trains each way per day, including at least six express schedules. With modern diesel equipment running at speeds of up to 110 miles per hour to start, the three-hundred mile trip between downtown Chicago and downtown Columbus would normally require only three hours, forty-five minutes (express service), or four hours (local service). Track and safety improvements in a potential future phase would support speeds up to 130 mph and a downtown Chicago to downtown Columbus express time of three hours, twenty minutes.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 6:48 AM
TL;DR

I didn't realize this, but IDOT recently rebuilt the station in Kewanee, IL. It opened in November 2012.

Kinda bland but still pretty radical for small-town Illinois. This is probably a good idea of what to expect for the stations on the Chi-StL corridor.

src

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 8:32 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
As some of you know, I have a blog on urban planning and design issues and topics. Mappy shared some information in a private message that I then provided in my blog. One of the topics was on a regional rail proposal for Cincinnati, and another was on a Philadelphia HSR initiative. There was a third one about the NYC-Chicago HSR proposal, and the idea of making the Cleveland-Chicago segment a true high-speed rail link and loosely suggested the idea of having the world's fastest train on this segment.

Check out my blog update for further details.
http://urbandesigneggshell.blogspot....-rail-and.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 2:59 PM

Chicago - Ft.Wayne - Columbus

http://niprarail.org/ Northeastern Indiana Passenger rail Association has released results of a TEMS study for pax service between Chicago, FTW and Col Ohio.

Executive Summary

OK so it is just another study, but there is some interesting subtext within.
-The group NIPIA is a more well rounded association of large & small business leaders, local and state level pols, and rail advocates. Some of the Biz goals are to access Chicago Airports to reduce their idle time for employees, (work on train) and reduce expensive connecting flights to smaller regional hubs.
-The group wants to advance a reasonable and achievable 110-130mph rather than bullet speeds, which will never get the political funding.
-The route Chi-Fort Wayne is actually 46 miles shorter by rail than by interstate, giving the rail a considerable advantage.
-Also the interstate route is an expensive Toll route at about $8.00 each way for tolls, this gives rail an additional cost margin to work within.
-The Chi-Col rail route is about 21 miles shorter than Interstate. Tolls are not as onerous on the I-294+ I-80 +I-65+I-70 route, but it is one of the most freight congested highway routes in the Midwest..
-The Chi-Ft.W segment will do double duty as the eventual HrSR conx to Clev.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 3:01 PM

Rock Island Line HrSR route

Nothing really new, just beginning the jockeying for the SxSW suburban HrSR location.

High-speed rail could include ‘Rock’ District

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:47 am | Updated: 11:01 am, Tue Aug 6, 2013.

by Caroline Connors

In December 2012, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) issued a record of decision that identified the Rock Island District as the preferred route between Chicago and Joliet for the Illinois High-Speed Rail Project, an initiative to enhance the passenger transportation network within the Chicago-to-St. Louis corridor. The FRA decision also identified the existing Amtrak route, with the exception of the portion of the corridor through Springfield, as the preferred route from Joliet to St. Louis.

A Tier 2 study is now underway that will consider specific environmental impacts and improvements, and it will also aid in the identification of a south suburban stop and potential new station along the high-speed rail line between Chicago and Joliet, according to information presented at a project meeting held in July at the Tinley Park Public Library.

The meeting, which was not open to the public, was attended by officials from the municipalities of Tinley Park, Midlothian, Blue Island, Oak Forest, Mokena and New Lenox.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 12:13 AM
TL;DR

My vote goes for Blue Island. It's the only city to offer a sizable urban downtown, it has connections to Metra Electric and numerous CTA/Pace routes, and expressway access to the Tri-State and I-57 via 127th St. It's also midway between Joliet and Chicago. I'm glad to see that Blue Island officials are making their case.

Of course, the boneheads at IDOT will probably put it at Hickory Creek which offers easy access to I-80 drivers and subdivision dwellers and nobody else, with little hope of TOD or walkability ever. Sprawl uber alles.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 1:14 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiboy View Post
Rail with city stop proposed
110 mph trains could reach Chicago in less than 2 hours

Source: http://fortwayne.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...8/1005/TOPNEWS
How do they plan on achieving that? The route from Chicago to Ft. Wayne via Warsaw was the former PRR mainline, but it runs well north of Columbus, passing instead through Crestline and Mansfield. (Much of it has been severely downgraded, but I don't think any of it has been abandoned wholesale.)

The route that would run entirely on PRR easements, if they still exist, would diverge from the mainline at Ft. Wayne, run down to Ridgeville, IN, and then run east via Piqua, OH. But is there another, more direct easement they plan on utilizing?

ANSWER: The stop list given in the article describes the alignment, entirely following existing easements:
Chicago
Gary
Valpo
Plymouth
Warsaw
Ft. Wayne
Lima
Kenton
Marysville
Columbus
Columbus Airport

From Chicago to Lima the proposal would follow the dead-straight but barely-used former PRR mainline; at Lima it would diverge onto an abandoned easement that runs to Kenton. At Kenton it would pick up an in-use easement the rest of the way down into Chicago. Does anybody know that the historical ownership of those two easements were?

ANOTHER QUESTION: Is the abandoned Lima-Kenton section possibly part of the former Erie mainline? I can follow this easement to Huntingdon, IN, via Decatur, and another easement comes into Huntingdon from the opposite side, which connects to the former Erie route out of Chicago through Rochester. But I wasn't able to make a clear connection between these two easements, despite their proximity. (If it is, that means the Erie mainline came fairly far south into Ohio for a route that ran from New York to Chicago via Buffalo.)

ANOTHER ANSWER: I was able to authenticate the connection through Huntingdon and it appears that it is. (Unless the Erie dove all the way south to Peru, IN.) Still leaves the question, however, of the historical ownership of the Columbus-Kenton segment is.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Aug 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 4:07 AM
TL;DR

That would be the Toledo & Ohio Central (NYC).

wikipedia

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 7:20 AM

Quote:
My vote goes for Blue Island. It's the only city to offer a sizable urban downtown, it has connections to Metra Electric and numerous CTA/Pace routes, and expressway access to the Tri-State and I-57 via 127th St. It's also midway between Joliet and Chicago. I'm glad to see that Blue Island officials are making their case.

Of course, the boneheads at IDOT will probably put it at Hickory Creek which offers easy access to I-80 drivers and subdivision dwellers and nobody else, with little hope of TOD or walkability ever. Sprawl uber alles.

Blue Island-Vermont Street via FLICKR
I think Blue Island-Vermont Street would be a strong choice. God knows that town could certainly use a boost. It's 1.3 miles from the 127th Street exit along I-57, and 3.5 miles from the 127th Street exit along I-294. 24 miles from Joliet-Union Station, 16 from Chicago.

Midlothian station via my poor photo skills
I recall that IDOT was particularly concerned about the proximity of the new station to the Tri-State Tollway. That would put Midlothian in line as a contender. As part of the project to provide an interchange between I-294 and I-57, there will be a new partial interchange at 147th Street off the Tri-State(an exit from the southbound Tri-State to 147th and an on-ramp from 147th to the northbound Tri-State). That exit puts the Midlo Metra station only a mile to the west of the new exit. Anyone coming from I-57 can exit 147th and travel 1.5 miles to the station. The station would certainly need more parking as the lots are often just enough for Metra's current needs. I believe a small concession service is available inside the station. 22 miles from Joliet, 18 miles from Chicago.

Robbins station via my poor photo skills
Although not on the list, the Robbins Metra station is nearly as close as Midlo. Located at 139th and Utica, it's about 1.5 miles from the new 147th Street exit. The unattended station and the adjacent parking lot are small. 23 miles from Joliet, 17 miles from Chicago.

Future Oak Forest station via Village of Oak Forest
Oak Forest is currently rebuilding their Metra station. They have what they call TOD, but is nothing but a CVS and a bank situated on outlots. The station is located 4 miles from either the 127th Street or the soon-to-be-opened 147th Street exit along I-294, and 1.5 miles west of the 159th Street exit along I-57. The intersection of 159th Street and Cicero Avenue can become terribly snarled, especially at rush hour. 20 miles from Joliet, 20 miles from Chicago.

Tinley Park has two stations they might push to get the Amtrak stop.

Tinley Park-Oak Park Avenue station via Village of Tinley Park
The station on Oak Park Avenue was rebuilt several years ago, with the hope of sparking TOD in their historic downtown area. A 167-unit, 6-story mixed-use apartment development, located just south of the Metra tracks, was scheduled to break ground this Spring, but hasn't yet. And plans for a large mixed-use condo complex, including a Classic Cinemas, located along the north side of the tracks, fell apart when the economy tanked. Plans also included tearing up much of the current parking at the station, expanding Zabrocki Plaza, and building a multi-story parking garage on the eastern portion of the station property. The village board still expresses the desire to get these projects done, and might see getting the stop as providing a catalyst. The station is located 3 miles west of the 167th Street exit along I-57, and 1.75 miles from the Harlem Ave. exit along I-80. The station has food service available from morning rush to early afternoon. 17 miles from Joliet, 23 miles from Chicago.

Tinley Park-80th Ave. station via Village of Tinley Park
The station on 80th Avenue just received a total rebuild, and is, by far, the largest of the potential stations. It has the largest available parking, around 2,200 spaces, and the lots are connected to the station and each other via a recently built pedestrian underpass. If IDOT wished to build any facilities specifically for the use of the Chicago-St. Louis route, it would have no trouble finding the space, as the station is immediately adjacent to the closed Tinley Park Mental Health Center and Howe Developmental Center - 280 acres of state-owned land. The village desperately wants that land developed, but asbestos issues on the site have pretty much driven all interested parties away. The site was most recently used by the U.S. Navy, to drill on urban warfare techniques. Morning food/coffee service has been available at the new station since January and will soon be expanding to include lunch and dinner options. The station is 1.3 miles from the Harlem Ave. exit along I-80, and 3 miles from the LaGrange Ave. exit. Neither Tinley station is anywhere near the Tri-State Tollway. 15 miles from Joliet, 25 miles from Chicago.

I have to wonder whether they hope getting the stop might bring extra business to the town's newly expanded convention center, which, by the way, will soon be hosting the Midwest Pole Dancing Championships. Get your tickets now.

Mokena has two stations. One, on Front Street near Wolf Road, is small and the parking is somewhat sparse and scattered across several lots. I found plans from 5 years ago that would expand parking availability and possibly build a larger station, but I've seen no forward movement on the project. It's 3.8 miles from the LaGrange Ave. exit along I-80. About 11 miles from Joliet, 29 miles from Chicago.

The Hickory Creek station, located 1.3 miles from the LaGrange Ave. exit, has plenty of parking, but the station is small and I've seen no plans to improve it. The area has a number of large commercial developments that are either empty, half-built, or have yet to put shovel to dirt. As ardecila mentioned, there's nothing else around, save a townhome development and the Ozinga Redi-Mix concrete plant. About 13 miles from Joliet, 27 miles from Chicago.

New Lenox? Really? If you're going to drive all the way out to New Lenox, just keep going to Joliet, as you're only 6.5 miles from Joliet-Union Station.

It will be interesting to see what yardstick they use to determine the suitability of all the potential stations on the list. Could it possibly come down to which village can provide the most valuable inducements?

Last edited by Mister Uptempo; Aug 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:44 PM

Quote:

The Blue Island site looks constrained to me. Of course it has direct Rock Island and Metra Electric connections. Interstate access is good and parking looks adequate with the many scattered lots.
One of the specific requirements is that the station dwelling train not block any streets due to the lengthy boarding/deboarding times. Im afraid that is a trip wire for Blue Island.

Not necessarily my choice, but I think the 2 Tinley Park locations are the ones to beat. More based on political sway and a bias toward suburban settings.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:01 PM

Next Generation Corridor Equipment Pool

Progress on new loco power equipment. 35 engines with 21 designated for Illinois, Michigan, Missouri and Iowa. Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio routes are not in the pool.

Railway Age link

The Federal Railroad Administration has issued a Request For Proposals (RFP) for 35 high-performance diesel-electric locomotives built to standardized technical specifications developed by the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act (PRIIA) Section 305 Next Generation Corridor Equipment Pool Committee.

The RFP comes from a multi-state effort to jointly purchase standardized rail equipment for state HrSR (higher speed rail) corridors in Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, and Iowa in the Midwest and Washington, California, and Oregon on the West Coast. The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is leading the multi-state locomotive procurement, with first deliveries expected in 2016. The FRA has allocated $808 million to manufacture the 35 locomotives and 130 bilevel railcars.

From the RFP’s Executive Summary:

• The locomotive shall be diesel-electric powered (related alternative technologies will be considered) for use in intercity corridor and commuter passenger service.

• The locomotive shall be capable of operating at a sustained speed of 125 mph, as defined by 49CFR Section 238.5/Tier 1, on all classes of track maintained to FRA standards.

Selection of the manufacturer will occur in early 2014. Delivery of the locomotives is planned for 2016. The complete RFP is available on the IDOT website and can be downloaded by clicking this link.

These locomotives will be the second procured under PRIIA 305 specifications. Electro-Motive Diesel on May 31 signed an agreement with the Southern California Regional Rail Authority to supply up to 20 new-design EMD F125 low-emission Spirit series diesel-electric passenger locomotives for operation on Metrolink, the regional passenger rail service provider in Southern California. Metrolink is the first passenger railroad to purchase new locomotives designed to meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 emissions standards. Delivery will begin in 2015.

“The new uniform standards will drive down costs and allow more manufacturers and suppliers to compete, fostering a healthy competition while re-establishing the U.S. domestic supply chain for passenger rail equipment,” said Federal Railroad Administrator Joseph C. Szabo. “The intent to purchase 35 new locomotives comes as intercity passenger rail ridership continues to post and exceed ridership records. Last year, Amtrak carried more than 31.2 million passengers, marking the highest annual ridership total since it started operations in 1971, and the ninth ridership record during the past ten years. The state corridor routes where these new locomotives will be deployed are among those services with the highest ridership growth. We’re taking historic steps to build the rail system our economy needs and—more important—that Americans deserve, all while creating American jobs. The need for new rail equipment has never been greater, and the more than 750 railroad suppliers located in the United States are up to the job.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation