HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:03 PM

Well 5-600k/year for 10 years is 5-6million, so that would be a multimillion dollar deal.

Assumably they have the final contenders for the naming rights nailed down and are just working out the details of the one they will accept, to make it ready for opening night.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Looks like someone is maybe aiming a little too high to not already have a name and "hoping" to have one by opening day (in less than 2 months).

They could have announce it as a separate event before opening day, so that people can gather up and witness the announcement. If they do it by opening night, you'll just get MORE car traffic downtown from people wanting to see the unveiling plus those going to the opening day event.

Dont know what they are expecting money wise, but giving recent numbers from similar size arenas, it should be around 5-600k/year max (and a 10 years deal):

Scotiabank Centre (Halifax): 650k/year (but was also covering upgrade cost)
Budweiser Gardens (London): 640k/year
FirstOntario Centre (Hamilton): 350k/year
K-Rock Centre (Kingston): 330k/year
Sleeman Centre (Guelph): 120k/year
Tribute Communities Centre (Oshawa): 250k/Year
I have my doubts that you would get much of a turnout aside from media, politicians and a few interested businesses that you'd get many people in Moncton gathering to see a curtain dropped to display a TD Bank Logo revealed. There is definitely interest in the community to get the naming rights established but I don't see it as an in person event unless you throw in some free food & live entertainment for Monctonians with the sponsor footing the bill.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:30 PM

The candidates are probably asking questions about what "Big Events" (aka National Exposure) that the City is planning to apply in the next 10 years.

I know it's really early in the lifespan of the Centre, but after 2 failed attempts (Memorial Cup and Brier), and a 2nd Brier attempt in which they dont want to publicly divulge the presale number, if I was a company willing to give away millions of dollars for the next 10 years, I would like to see a concrete plan.

Maybe a 5 years deal will occurs, so that after its done, then they could go with the Big One.

Btw, maybe they should try getting the World Women's Championships in 2020, as it looks like this one will also go to Halifax.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
The candidates are probably asking questions about what "Big Events" (aka National Exposure) that the City is planning to apply in the next 10 years.

I know it's really early in the lifespan of the Centre, but after 2 failed attempts (Memorial Cup and Brier), and a 2nd Brier attempt in which they dont want to publicly divulge the presale number, if I was a company willing to give away millions of dollars for the next 10 years, I would like to see a concrete plan.

Maybe a 5 years deal will occurs, so that after its done, then they could go with the Big One.

Btw, maybe they should try getting the World Women's Championships in 2020, as it looks like this one will also go to Halifax.
Just a question here. Since SMG was given the contact to manage the facility, how much leeway or latitude does the city have in bidding on events on their own, like the Brier for example... and as mentioned before, the Memorial Cup, World Womens Hockey, etc. Does the city have to run these bids by SMG? Does SMG have any say in them seeing as how they are the company scheduling the centre's events? I would be curious to know who has precedence in these cases... the city or SMG?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 11:34 AM

I think some of us are reading too much into the lack of an announcement on a name.
My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that this has been all wrapped up already and they are just waiting to announce it, likely a week or two prior to the big opening, to create some buzz.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:08 PM

What is sure to be one of Moncton's hottest street corners once the Hyatt Place & main floor corner restaurant is done next year, the Main & Highfield/Canada area is going to be just awesome!

Adding rumors of Hilton replacing the V Hotel & Suites, ground floor restaurant at 1111 Main, and who knows what Crown Plaza has up their sleeves.

Last Saturday night during Atlantic Nationals weekend, I stood at the corner to snap some crazy cars. Funny how the trellises looks like basketball nets!

Model A cruising in front of the basketball nets.

Rat rod going by.

A 1950's Classic and a 2018 arena.

Baby Blue heading West.

Arrivng at the Events Centre in style.

Even tour buses are starting to arrive.

Last edited by BlackYear; Jul 11, 2018 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:26 PM

Apologies in advance if the above photos are a little over sized. I had already made them smaller from the originals. Didn't want to resize them all over again.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Apologies in advance if the above photos are a little over sized. I had already made them smaller from the originals. Didn't want to resize them all over again.
No worries about the size. Those are awesome photos of the Event Centre and the cars as well.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:59 AM

I always saw the trellises as upside down lightbulbs.
NOW all I can see are basketball nets.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

New perspective of the events centre plaza, with the federal buildings in the background:

You can see how, with this plaza surrounded by substantial buildings (including the Crowne Plaza Hotel(not imaged), the Hyatt Place Hotel and a possible new hotel where the V Hotel is now, this plaza will become a new beating heart for the downtown core........

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 11:49 AM

The work on that façade for the federal government building must be the slowest I have ever seen. Not entirely clear what the process is but seems like they add about one window section a week.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
The work on that façade for the federal government building must be the slowest I have ever seen. Not entirely clear what the process is but seems like they add about one window section a week.
It a federal project,do I need to say more lol

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's starting to get pretty real........

The Moncton Wildcats are moving their business operations into the new events centre on Monday. Their current office at the Coliseum is closing.

For the time being, the only way to contact the business office will be by telephone.

The Roar Store will be opening at the events centre by September 12th. It will be 1,200 sq ft (2.5x the size of the current store) and will feel much like an NHL team store, with increasing souvenir offerings (especially customized team jerseys and more women's items).

The new Wildcat's team clubhouse sounds quite amazing. Highlights include:
- 10,000 sq ft
- locker and dressing room
- state of the art gym
- hot and cold tubs
- steam room
- medical facility
- theatre (to review game films)
- ping pong area
- lounge room
- full kitchen

The Cats claim it will be the "nicest dressing room of any junior hockey club in Canada." They spent 2.5 years researching and visiting team dressing rooms in the NHL, NFL and major US college programs before designing their own facility.

A great team dressing room of course can be a tremendous marketing tool when trying to attract the best talent out there. When you are trying to convince young players to play junior hockey rather than going the US college route, you have to pull out all the stops.......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 16, 2018 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:10 PM

Hoping STH'ers get a tour of the facilities.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
Hoping STH'ers get a tour of the facilities.

My understanding from a post on Mayor Dawn Arnolds FB page was that the general public would have an opportunity to tour the faciltiies on September 8th..likely part of a grand opening celebration. It would certainly be a nice perk for Cats STH to get a tour before the general public

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 1:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is an official ceremony at 1PM today. The city is officially receiving the keys to the new events centre from Bird Construction.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is an official ceremony at 1PM today. The city is officially receiving the keys to the new events centre from Bird Construction.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...-key-1.4750704

No news about naming rights. They now have words like "hope" and "belief" for September.

The potential candidates are probably waiting at the last minute possible to get a better deal

Also no update on the fundraising campaign, as it was supposed to be completed last month. At 350k for the consultant, I think they were expecting it to get their goal faster.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Cats claim it will be the "nicest dressing room of any junior hockey club in Canada."
Nicer than Videotron Centre in Quebec City?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Nicer than Videotron Centre in Quebec City?
Nothing like a little hype to stir the public's interest.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 12:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

They've completely removed the construction fence from around the events centre.

If I hadn't been in a hurry to get home, I would have stopped to get a good close look at the building and take some pictures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces