HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Today, 2:27 PM

I guess no construction cam for this site?

Any forum members in line of site for a possible web cam lol?

Old Posted Today, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Speaking of Portage Place, is there still a chance that the pads could be developed in the future? If so wouldn't that include some sort of renovations or refreshing to the mall?

Also, does anyone have any idea what the towers were supposed to look like originally?
Should the 2 pads above Portage Place get developed, that extra traffic would be a boost to the mall and more so for cafes and eateries.
The office towers were originally 2 glass towers under 18 floors and one was suggested as a possible high end hotel that never came to be as of yet.
Rumours had swirled about hotel chains like Hilton, Hyatt etc...What a shame it never happened. The office tower and hotel would have kept the mall busy and attract more visitors and shoppers.
In the early 2000'2 there was talk of a 12 floor residential towers on the west pad but nothing yet....

Old Posted Today, 3:09 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Portage Place is such a downmarket place these days that I don't know who would pay top dollar for new office space or new condos on top of it. I guess the fact that the footings are in place for new buildings would bring down construction costs a bit, but even then I would not think anyone is really clamoring to build there.

If the MTS Centre and the return of the Jets couldn't breathe life into Portage Place I'm not sure that anything can. Considering that the mall is now over 30 years old and the owners aren't putting any money into it beyond the most basic maintenance, it's probably time to start thinking about what will come next on that site. Renovations and repurposing, or demolition and reconstruction?

Old Posted Today, 3:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Original render of Portage Place

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Today, 3:33 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ That is so cool, I remember seeing renderings for proposals over the years but I don't think that I have ever seen the original concept for Portage Place's towers. Thanks for posting that, Biff!

I will add that it's kind of sad that at least one tower wasn't built. But oh well.

Old Posted Today, 3:35 PM
Ignore these four words.

IMO one of the best things that can be done regarding PP is to demolish and redo those horrible skywalks spanning Portage. They are absolute eyesores and do not need to be that huge.

Old Posted Today, 5:34 PM
What could go wrong?

I would love to see 15-40 storey towers line Portage from Main to Colony. Create a feeling like a smaller Michigan Ave.

....please don't go off now in this thread about retail on Portage and how Dollarama and Dollar Tree don't belong on a fancy street.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Today, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
IMO one of the best things that can be done regarding PP is to demolish and redo those horrible skywalks spanning Portage. They are absolute eyesores and do not need to be that huge.
AMEN!

Clueless Bill Norrie promised that Portage Place would rejuvenate downtown, looks like he was 100% with all his predictions and all being wrong!

Old Posted Today, 6:00 PM

^ Thanks for the render Biff, never seen that before, very cool!

Old Posted Today, 6:01 PM

get rid of all the skywalks, they're awful for building a safe and vibrant downtown. and they look like garbage. the one between MTS centre and city place might be the worst.

Old Posted Today, 6:12 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
AMEN!

Clueless Bill Norrie promised that Portage Place would rejuvenate downtown, looks like he was 100% with all his predictions and all being wrong!
It's fair to say that as far as megaprojects go, Portage Place was a total bust. I'm not sure how accurate the numbers are, but according to the interwebs it cost $92 million for the mall, $300 million for the entire complex including the mall. It's like Winnipeg's Olympic Stadium fiasco in some ways.

The only part of it that has had any enduring value is the underground parking garage.

Old Posted Today, 8:34 PM
Spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I would love to see 15-40 storey towers line Portage from Main to Colony. Create a feeling like a smaller Michigan Ave.

....please don't go off now in this thread about retail on Portage and how Dollarama and Dollar Tree don't belong on a fancy street.
When I was in Chi Town in '07, I remember visiting a Payless Shoe Store on State St. near one of the subway stops on the Red Line.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan