HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:01 PM

New Faces New Places: Selling comics and collecting smiles

ERIN PETROW, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
July 14, 2018

Lee Pearson believes in the healing power of comics. At a young age he remembers his father bringing him a stack of new comics whenever he was sick, each story transported Pearson into a new world — bringing a smile to his face and melting away his troubles.

Now, he aims to bring that feeling to everyone who steps through the door of Bridge City Comics and Collectables.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...lecting-smiles

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:55 AM
Has been

The Burning Beard saga continues (to the dismay of some). The signage has been removed from the building but, as I type this, the street deck is being constructed.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:21 PM

For all that was disappointing about the joint, I thought their parking patio that they set up last year was quite nice.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:25 PM

I guess it is opening under another name/brand. They (who ever "they" are) conducted service staff interviews last week...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:31 AM

Leased signs are in the windows of the former Mardi Gras Grill on Idylwyld, and a crew is at work rebuilding the back deck.

Meanwhile, Picaro is building a patio in the parking area on the west side with the overhead door. A low cinder block wall has been built, so it's not going to be a mere seasonal parking lot conversion.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
The Burning Beard saga continues (to the dismay of some). The signage has been removed from the building but, as I type this, the street deck is being constructed.
Two questions in all of this drama:

1. Is it the same owners simply rebranding to try and create some new hype (probably not)?

2. Whoever it is, will they do right by the couple of morons who got the Burning Beard logo tattoos and keep giving them the discount?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:22 AM

The former Mardi Gras Grill on Idylwyld Dr is becoming Sushi Raku Japanese Restaurant.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:33 PM

Home Quarter Coffeehouse & Bakery is opening in one of the retail spaces at The Banks.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Two questions in all of this drama:

1. Is it the same owners simply rebranding to try and create some new hype (probably not)?

2. Whoever it is, will they do right by the couple of morons who got the Burning Beard logo tattoos and keep giving them the discount?
Burning beard sign is back and they are opening Friday August 3. Got a quick peek inside and they have moved seating around - but couldn’t tell if they renovated or not.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:14 PM

Good to hear about the coffee house Echoes, looks like Marshall's is set to open

https://globalnews.ca/news/4397663/m...opping-centre/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:48 PM

Changes on 2nd Avenue as some doors close, others open
2 Saskatoon fashion boutiques and bar closed but others move in to take their place

CBC News · Posted: Aug 21, 2018 4:00 AM CT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

Quote:
The recent closures of two clothing boutiques on the 100 block of 2nd Avenue N. does not indicate a wider pattern of closures in the area, says the executive director of Saskatoon's downtown business improvement district.

White Dhalia opened its doors for the last time on Saturday, with owners planning to take the business back to its original location at Dutch Growers on the outskirts of Saskatoon.

Tonic, another clothing boutique a few doors down on the same side of the street, also closed recently after many years in the location.

Ten Thousand Villages, Unreal City and El Coyote are among the other businesses that have shut down in the past two years.

"Some of those businesses that have left were national brands, it was part of a national brand decision," said Downtown YXE executive director Brent Penner.

"There's a whole variety of factors that enter into why Tonic decided to do what they're doing.

"Part of it — from my understanding — is it has nothing at all to do with whether that business was doing extremely well."

Penner said that prior to the two closures, the concentration of retail businesses on the block north of 22nd Street was higher than it is on the adjacent block to the south — closer to the heart of downtown.

[....]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...hlia-1.4792714

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:40 PM

What a sad sack story. As a business owner, you never want to report how tough business is, how expensive it is, how hard it is. Such a turnoff to customers.

They should be pumping tires about the exciting new businesses opening in the area, and how it is more desirable than ever to come downtown for shopping and entertainment. Just brutal.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:51 AM

Yea downtown has never been better. I don’t know many who went into the shuttered stores ever - she’s just receding into her dad’s actually successful empire for a family lease rate... a Zara downtown standalone would be an insane hit like they are in other cities. Saskatoon needs to take a look at Robson street in Vancouver - most of the successful shops on those streets are what’s keeping malls across NA alive - without the silly Mall setting. We could easily have that there. All these people using their parents money to set up merchandise store selling other people’s clothing are just silly. I usually just go buy what I see in the store online nowadays. The 3rd party clothing retailer had no place in 2018. RIP

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post
Burning beard sign is back and they are opening Friday August 3. Got a quick peek inside and they have moved seating around - but couldn’t tell if they renovated or not.
i stopped in last weekend for a quick beer. only thing i noticed was bigger table sections down the centre and the wood shelving/backdrop that displays all of the hard liqour.

Same ol Burning beard aside from that.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:29 AM

I heard that Leopold's was going to open another location in the Evergreen square. No clue how reliable the source is but the location would fit the mould of the 'neighborhood pub' that Leopold's seems to go for.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:04 PM

I just heard the other day that Leo's is looking to expand into Evergreen, Kensington, and Warman. Its a pretty reliable source too.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCA View Post
I just heard the other day that Leo's is looking to expand into Evergreen, Kensington, and Warman. Its a pretty reliable source too.
That would be great for me as I live in Kensington and the one thing we are really missing is a decent restaurant or pub. Montana’s and BP’s just don’t do it for me. There’s a full restaurant building waiting for a tenant from when Browns pulled the plug on their expansion. There’s also a whole strip mall available if they want a vibe like in Rosewood.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
I heard that Leopold's was going to open another location in the Evergreen square. No clue how reliable the source is but the location would fit the mould of the 'neighborhood pub' that Leopold's seems to go for.
Just announced on their Facebook page that the Evergreen location will open in summer 2019.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 5:52 PM

I just noticed that the building/location that housed the former Tony Roma's restaurant on North Circle Drive has been leased.

Not sure who has leased the building, but I'm curious to see if it's another restaurant or if the building is going to be retrofitted for another purpose.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
I just noticed that the building/location that housed the former Tony Roma's restaurant on North Circle Drive has been leased.

Not sure who has leased the building, but I'm curious to see if it's another restaurant or if the building is going to be retrofitted for another purpose.
I heard that it is going to be a Wendell Clarks restaurant. Apparently the same one from Ontario is becoming or is now a chain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan