HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 12:56 PM

It seems like professional sports are losing their luster. No need to expand. Maybe MLS because it probably has the brightest future.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
[b]

NHL: Mississauga, Ontario
Hockey thrives in places where kids grow up playing hockey, meaning Canada and the northern US. Toronto is becoming large enough for two teams, and a competing franchise might push the Maple Leafs to do more than coast. Meanwhile, Mississauga is dying to be considered a bona fide city.
The Leafs are coasting? They juust had their highest regular season point total in franchise history.

I'd prefer the team in Hamilton over Mississauga. It's an independent city with it's own history and sense of civic pride that doesn't rest on geographic proximity to Toronto. The city is gentrifying at fast pace as a ton of young recent university grads are moving there to avoid ridiculous GTA house prices. Whether they could tear existing allegiances away from the Leafs would be the issue.

In the states, I'll operate under the assumption that Seattle already has one since it looks like it will be locked down soon. I don't know if Milwaukee could support a team but if they could the rivalry with Chicago would be amazing. Same goes with Cleveland and their close proximity to Detroit and Buffalo, although not sure Ohio could support another team on top of Columbus.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Ooof, that's a bit of a sore point in Columbus, OH right now...

Possibly an addendum to your post: Which teams should be moved to new locations?
This continued ignorance of the MLS (and, apparently others) of Sacramento for the next MLS team astounds me. Everything seems ready to go...and, yet...1,2,3 new teams have been announced...nothing in Sacramento. They currently play in an almost 12,000 seat stadium (that they consistently sell out), they were previously playing in an over 20,000 seat stadium (that they were also selling out), they are one of the best teams in their league, the fanbase is rabid, they have the best logo of almost any sports team I've ever seen (ok..maybe I'm a little biased here), and the MLS arena is ready to begin construction at a moments notice in one of the largest urban infill projects in the US (the Sacramento Railyards). So, yeah...I'm a little bitter with Minneapolis (my current residence) Miami, and Cincinnati. We don't need to bring anyone else into this. Sacramento should have an MLS team already!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:58 PM

NBA: Don't care
NHL: Quebec City OR Hamilton
MLB: Montreal or Vancouver
MLS: Don't know
NFL: Don't care

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:30 PM

NHL: Cleveland
NBA: Pittsburgh
MLB: San Juan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:45 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
This continued ignorance of the MLS (and, apparently others) of Sacramento for the next MLS team astounds me. Everything seems ready to go...and, yet...1,2,3 new teams have been announced...nothing in Sacramento. They currently play in an almost 12,000 seat stadium (that they consistently sell out), they were previously playing in an over 20,000 seat stadium (that they were also selling out), they are one of the best teams in their league, the fanbase is rabid, they have the best logo of almost any sports team I've ever seen (ok..maybe I'm a little biased here), and the MLS arena is ready to begin construction at a moments notice in one of the largest urban infill projects in the US (the Sacramento Railyards). So, yeah...I'm a little bitter with Minneapolis (my current residence) Miami, and Cincinnati. We don't need to bring anyone else into this. Sacramento should have an MLS team already!
we had a vote on building an MLS stadium in st. louis that failed...it was right on the heels of a disastrous Billion dollar attempt (that looked like a go) to build a new NFL stadium thinking that stan kroenke was acting in good faith, so there was zero tolerance for public monies for a stadium even though it was like essentially a billion dollars cheaper.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:50 PM

NBA: Seattle
NHL: Quebec
MLB: Montreal is obvious, but maybe Santo Domingo.
MLS: I don't know, Vancouver, Charlotte, Raleigh. Are Hampton Roads or Nashville large enough?
NFL: Is a terrible organization and can go away for all I care.

Last edited by Don't Be That Guy; Jun 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:22 PM

For everybody saying “MLB to Portland”, the wheels are already spinning:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#4531c1ba5e85

Quote:
Last week, it was announced that Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson and Grammy Award winner Ciara had joined the group working to bring Major League Baseball to Portland. On Saturday — after a helicopter tour of potential site locations for the ballpark with former Nike executive Craig Cheek, who heads the Portland Diamond Project — a press conference was held at the headquarters of baseball-lifestyle company Baseballism. Beyond the gaggle of press there, there were kids in Little League uniforms and others who have had interest in the effort to bring baseball to the market. (Continues in the link above.)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:06 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

NHL: Bring back the Quebec Nordiques!
MLB: Bring back the Montreal Expos!
NBA: Bring back the Seattle SuperSonics!
MLS: Ottawa or Austin
CFL: Halifax

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
NFL: Oklahoma City, but I also like Cirrus' idea for Virginia Beach
NHL: Milwaukee
MLB: Portland
NBA: Seattle
MLS: Austin or Phoenix
???

NFL Chicago

It’s time to bring the Chicago cardinals back.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hist...cago_Cardinals

The giant market of pure living bodies that would go to the games, the untapped fans that can't get into the Bears seats because the waiting list is 100 of years long, the massive TV market...

It would make way more sense than OKC city for example, or other small markets. Just one county in Chicagoland has more than 1.5 million people than the entire state of Oklahoma. LA did and than had none for a number of years and now again they have two and NYC does. There is no better untapped market out there for the next NFL team than Chicago is it is demand and ratings and money are in the equation.

2 year old article but it is at least been under consideration.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...16-column.html

2nd NFL team in Chicago?

OK, but Khan's team finished 27th in attendance and hasn't been to the playoffs since 2007. That combination drove the Rams west. The Jaguars schedule one game a year in London to create revenue — which creates more speculation. And a second team in Chicago in the next decade or so makes more sense than a first one in London, despite the league's infatuation abroad.

It still seems a little farfetched, but not as crazy as it seemed four years — or even four weeks — ago

Last edited by bnk; Jun 9, 2018 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:36 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
MLS: No Idea... Phoenix? but it's so hot in the summer.
Let the Diamondbacks leave (fuck Ken Kendrick) and repurpose BOB for soccer.

Move the Coyotes to Quebec or Seattle.

Tell Sarver he can go fuck himself as well if he tries to fleece the city for a new Suns arena and/or wants the taxpayers to pay for upgrades to America West Arena. Make them play a season at Veterans Memorial Coliseum (seriously, that'd be awesome) to see how good they have it at their current arena.

University of Phoenix Stadium is over ten years old, so I'm sure if the Cardinals bid to host another Super Bowl, the NFL will demand millions in upgrades that they'll refuse to finance (because Glendale is flush with cash...) before considering granting them another bid (the NFL did this to San Diego after the 2003 Super Bowl...)

In Cincinnati:
Let the Bengals move. It'd probably save Hamilton County a boatload of tax revenue if/when they aren't on the hook for Mikey Boy's stadium whims. Also, Mike Brown's only redeeming quality is that he's not Dan Snyder.

Contract the Reds. What a fucking dumpster fire of a team run by morons. Appreciate their history and memories of the Big Red Machine, but it's clear that they're nowhere close to a Houston or Cubs-style rebuild any time soon. Joey Votto's talents are going to waste.

FC Cincinnati: Just got accepted to MLS. That's actually kind of neat. It's a shame that whatever rivalry they could've had with Columbus will be short lived.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:46 PM

I'll play

NFL: San Antonio- State of Texas is big enough and football crazy enough to support 3 franchises. Plus the team could be shared by the SA and Austin markets.

MLB: Charlotte- Proven major league city. MLB team to bookend the Charlanta region

NHL: Houston- The largest city/market in US/Canada without an NHL team. They currently have the infrastructure in place with an owner that WANTS an NHL team. There are enough transplants and natives who would definitely follow the team (that includes me).

NBA: Seattle. Give them a second chance!

MLS: I defer because I don't follow this league and can't even name the existing cities.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:20 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
I'll play

NFL: San Antonio- State of Texas is big enough and football crazy enough to support 3 franchises. Plus the team could be shared by the SA and Austin markets.

MLB: Charlotte- Proven major league city. MLB team to bookend the Charlanta region

NHL: Houston- The largest city/market in US/Canada without an NHL team. They currently have the infrastructure in place with an owner that WANTS an NHL team. There are enough transplants and natives who would definitely follow the team (that includes me).

NBA: Seattle. Give them a second chance!

MLS: I defer because I don't follow this league and can't even name the existing cities.
The Toyota Center is built to NHL spec and even has space set aside to accommodate a future team. I was part of design team in 2001. Now that Tilman owns the Rockets, the odds for Houston getting a team are much better I think. Count me as another displaced yankee who misses hockey.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 11:41 PM

San Diego in MLS!!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Ch. White Sox!

Charlotte White Sox

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Ch. White Sox!

Charlotte White Sox
lol

Little Charlotte does have a white sox minor league feeder program so good for them

They should be proud to be accociated subordantly with the Chicago White Sox at all.

The W Sox are almost as popular as the Chicago cubs in the inner Chicagoland area, which is rather large.

But due to WGN in the past and old retiree snowbirds.......The Cubs rule in total fan base.

This link says the Chicago Cubs have the largest fanbase in the entire NLB.

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/12/her...cubs-fan-base/

Likely more than then both populations of north and south Carolina combined.

Last edited by bnk; Jun 9, 2018 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
lol

Little Charlotte does have a white sox minor league feeder program so good for them

They should be proud to be accociated subordantly with the Chicago White Sox at all.

The W Sox are almost as popular as the Chicago cubs in the inner Chicagoland area, which is rather large.

But due to WGN in the past and old retiree snowbirds.......The Cubs rule in total fan base.

This link says the Chicago Cubs have the largest fanbase in the entire NLB.

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/12/her...cubs-fan-base/

Likely more than then both populations of north and south Carolina combined.
The white sox attendance has been near the bottom for all of MLB.

E] The Yankees fan base is probably larger than the population of the state of California...and what's the point of that useless stat?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:03 AM

i propose the following addendums...

nhl shall not expand to any market south of st louis.

any city who had a pro team leave, shall not be awarded another team in the same league. unless its the montreal expos and they are only allowed to use their 1978 uniform.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:01 AM
Category Five

NFL - San Diego
MLB - Portland
NBA - San Diego
NHL - San Diego
MLS - San Diego

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions