HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East2Westback View Post
No...I live here...I know what it is like everyday... I love SLC and know it, I also love NYC and know it.

It was filthy????? How many stations were you in? What is your definition of filthy? Things are not meticulous when they are used. Those stations are cleaned everyday.

"Only the lower class use it." Wow!

What I am really wanting to know is what do you consider and how do you judge a "lower class" person? How do you know they are lower class people?
Well if you are going to quote me, at least do it accurately. I said "only the lower class SEEM to use it"... that was my personal observation (which I am entitled to), and not a knock on people with less money... after all, I was using it too wasn't I? The point I was making that you are misinterpreting, is that the system did not seem very Utopian to me. My comparison was to the Tube system in London, which in comparison to New York is much closer to Ideal. London seems to make a concerted effort to make their system comfortable to use for every class of people, even the ones who might normally turn their nose up at mass transit. They are proactive about it, which is not the impression I got from New York. Maybe some upper class people do use the subway in New York, but the system certainly isn't maintained to that standard, whereas in London it is. I am middle class myself, so this isn't some conversation about class warfare. I just think that a city of New York's caliber should be able to boast a system that treats its riders as if they are all upper class.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
Well if you are going to quote me, at least do it accurately. I said "only the lower class SEEM to use it"... that was my personal observation (which I am entitled to), and not a knock on people with less money... after all, I was using it too wasn't I? The point I was making that you are misinterpreting, is that the system did not seem very Utopian to me. My comparison was to the Tube system in London, which in comparison to New York is much closer to Ideal. London seems to make a concerted effort to make their system comfortable to use for every class of people, even the ones who might normally turn their nose up at mass transit. They are proactive about it, which is not the impression I got from New York. Maybe some upper class people do use the subway in New York, but the system certainly isn't maintained to that standard, whereas in London it is. I am middle class myself, so this isn't some conversation about class warfare. I just think that a city of New York's caliber should be able to boast a system that treats its riders as if they are all upper class.
My experience of living in NYC for several years was that people there rather like a lot of the grittiness of the city. Upper class people definitely ride the subway in NYC and don't mind the condition it's in. In other words, it is comfortable to them to use.

I noticed a LONG time ago that many people in the Salt Lake Valley always want everything to be shiny and new. ~ "OMG! That bldg is 20 years old. Tear it down and build something new."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 3:50 AM

Congrats on the colored concrete in Western SLC!! I am also excited/anxious about the mid-Jordan Line being completed

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 1:56 PM

In the fast lane: Utah speeds past other states in road spending

By Brandon Loomis
The Salt Lake Tribune

Taylorsville » Utah, unlike many states, is in the fast lane when it comes to steering stimulus cash to highway projects.

The Utah Department of Transportation reported Thursday that it had obligated 60 percent of the state's $215.5 million highway stimulus allocation to specific road projects for completion this year -- and the numbers grew through the day.

Most projects are not yet under contract, although the department is moving to bid them.

The 60 percent figure ranks Utah sixth among states in moving the money quickly. A few have not allocated any of their road funds. Those that do not put the money toward projects within a year will have to give it back for redistribution.

"I see some states are at zero, and I see us at well over 60 percent," Utah Transportation Commission Chairman Stuart Adams said. "That is an unbelievable effort by the department."

Three of UDOT's stimulus projects already are under way, spokesman Adan Carrillo said. They are: pavement repair and maintenance projects in the southeast corner of the Interstate 215 loop ($770,00); several segments of U.S. Highway 89 in Weber County ($1 million); and 13 miles of U.S. Highway 191 in San Juan County ($882,000).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 5:41 PM
BANNED

I wish we were #1 for rail projects. I wonder which State won that honor.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 6:43 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

I'm sure with all the Trax and Frontrunner rail expansions projects going on right now I'm sure we got to be up there as well.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 7:11 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

I would not be surprised if it were Virginia (just my guess). Why I say this is the fact that a new subway rail line is under construction from Arlington County /Fairfax County boundary to IAD. Phase 1 by itself is $2.5 Billion.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 9:53 PM

I think in amount of Rail, it is Colorado for the Fastrack program. I think Utah is 2nd for the amount of rail.

For currently under construction, meaning work is happening, I think we are #1 right now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 9:54 PM
BANNED

I doubt it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 10:16 PM

I think we are at 65 miles of track under construction right now. Draper is the only line not under construction and we are supposed to have a total of 70 miles including Draper.

I figure 5 miles for the Draper extension.

I haven't seen any other rail lines that are more excluding Fastracks which is 90 miles I think when it is done.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 9:18 PM

FrontRunner service began one year ago yesterday.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 9:30 PM

Cool pic Ark!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:11 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think in amount of Rail, it is Colorado for the Fastrack program. I think Utah is 2nd for the amount of rail.

For currently under construction, meaning work is happening, I think we are #1 right now.
The "Silver Line" in Virginia is currently under construction. My understanding of the rankings is relative to cost. Correct?

So the FrontRunner, compared to other Nationwide commuter rail services, also goes in "reverse" (transit pet peeve). Is the reverse going inbound or outbound?

-sb

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
The "Silver Line" in Virginia is currently under construction. My understanding of the rankings is relative to cost. Correct?

So the FrontRunner, compared to other Nationwide commuter rail services, also goes in "reverse" (transit pet peeve). Is the reverse going inbound or outbound?
The reverse in the pic above is inbound to SLC.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:49 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

FrontRunner service began one year ago yesterday.

Hard to believe that it's already been a year.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The reverse in the pic above is inbound to SLC.
To clarify, the one that is in the foreground, that you see the front of, is actually the one in reverse. The one in the background that you see the back of is headed forward towards Ogden.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:29 PM
Chairman

Thanks for the clarification(s).

I was unaware that FrontRunner was that young. A young system already expanding.

I am glad to see that the SLC area is being proactive with its mass trasit system(s). I like that.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Thanks for the clarification(s).

I was unaware that FrontRunner was that young. A young system already expanding.

I am glad to see that the SLC area is being proactive with its mass trasit system(s). I like that.
Frontrunner commuter rail that goes 40+ miles to Ogden is new, but the TRAX light rail that goes south to Draper and to the University of Utah is over a decade old now.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Frontrunner commuter rail that goes 40+ miles to Ogden is new, but the TRAX light rail that goes south to Draper and to the University of Utah is over a decade old now.
I assume he was referring to the south expansion of Front Runner. If you think about it, it really is rather impressive, aggressive and progressive. Many metros are attempting to even get commuter rail mentioned in transit conversations, while little old Utah began it's second phase only several months after the first phase opened.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:48 PM
Chairman

Quote:

Interesting... I thought the opposite was true.

40+ miles and expanding... At this rate of growth, I would not be surprised if the Area's commuter rail system ranks as one of the longest (miles of track) in the Country, within about 10-years.

Speaking of rail, I saw some documents, forgot where, that outlined various regions of U.S. relative to potentialy receiving high speed rail. Is the SLC area part of this high speed rail corridors study?

-sb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West