HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 2:54 PM

When you look at prime leasable units around the little power center that bathurst has.....there isn't much.....I'm wondering if that is hindering the chances of new retail even looking?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:15 PM

I would say so, all tho im sure if there was enough interest, plaza would build a new strip in a jiffy. But at the same time, the lack of immediate available space for anyone who would be interested in starting operations tomorrow is definately a problem.

Just for example, pita pit has wanted to establish a restaurant in the city for a while but a lack of suitable space in prime areas has so far been a big hurdle in them setting up shop here, all tho with pizza pro moving out of their current space, that would give them a perfect place.

Anyone knows whats going on with the old zellers space? they where saying two tennants where lined up a while back but nothing is moving.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I was up in Bathurst this weekend... I'm going to say I don't think someone wants more space but new tenants wanting to move in, and the empty units aren't big enough for em. Not sure how big they can expand to much more then the size of there building though.
A while back Michaels was rumoured to head in.. It was later dismissed.

My In-law is on the planning commission and has said Michaels is the tenant looking to move in, even after the rumour was dismissed.

Now that's just what I've heard, i've not seen anything down on paper.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
I would say so, all tho im sure if there was enough interest, plaza would build a new strip in a jiffy. But at the same time, the lack of immediate available space for anyone who would be interested in starting operations tomorrow is definately a problem.

Just for example, pita pit has wanted to establish a restaurant in the city for a while but a lack of suitable space in prime areas has so far been a big hurdle in them setting up shop here, all tho with pizza pro moving out of their current space, that would give them a perfect place.

Anyone knows whats going on with the old zellers space? they where saying two tennants where lined up a while back but nothing is moving.
So I know 2 former managers of another retailer, who are now on training with Giant Tiger...Apparently for a Bathurst location and A Atholville location. Giant Tiger is not confirming they are expanding into these cities, however its starting to become a "worst kept secret". As for Micheals....this one keeps coming up from a many reliable sources....Im starting to think this may be your 2 tenants of a sub-divided old Zellers....or perhaps what will take up the space that Plaza will create near walmart. Sounds like the north may have some retail development on the horizon.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:40 AM

Lets say they take the new plaza space, that would leave a 3rd uknown retailer as the second tenant of bathurst mall, that would be huge for the area!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 1:36 AM

Bathurst: So here is what a employee of the Brick in Bathurst mentioned to me in conversation: "The Brick is taking over the space now occupied by Rossy, including an emply unit next door. This wiil increase their footage so that they can increase their appliance dept which is very small. Rossy is going to Place Bathurst Mall?!! He couldn't provide more info on that. Giant Tiger is taking over the Brick space including the emply Brass Restaurant space. This makes sense, because giant tiger is saying Zellers location is too far from the road. This new plan is right on the road. He also said that there is also a Dollar store opening in the Supermall, this will make #3 in town. What do you think of all this?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 2:55 AM

I say its all going to be a question of square footage. I have heard the dollar store rumour about two years ago, all tho I do not know which one, i would say great canadian dollar store, accross from where rossy is currently, i think the units there are all empty on that side except mcgraw and maybe the hairdresser. i would be surprised if they can fit a 3rd dollarama in this town.

As for the shuffle of the rest of the stores, i will wait and see, personally, i would like to see giant tiger go to the place bathurst mall instead but the square footage in the brick store would be big enough(26000 sqft) i just feel it would be awkward since GT sells groceries and it would place them in the same mall as superstore. I do not think that they will take the space of the old brass, at 26000 sqft, they are already 3000sqf bigger then the one in Miramichi and they would be in the average size of their other stores.

As for the brick, that would give them almost an extra 4000 sqf, what i find that this store needs is inventory, they have next to nothing in stock and you always have to order. If they also take the other stores around, would boost them an extra 1500 sqf.

Rossy currently holds a little bit over 30 000 sqf, if they would move to place Bathurst mall, would make them take a little less than half of the old zellers that had 66 000sqf. The only logical thing i would see the mall do is to subdivide the rest of the space and do a hallway from the grenier to the old zellers door and make the entrance to rossy inside the mall, that will create a flow of foot traffic in the mall again which the stores by the old zellers inside entrance will be happy to see.

So basically if it is to happen, everything could work out, did he give you a time frame of when they woud move? The early sign that we would se this scenario take place would be renovations in the old zellers in order to accomodate new stores.

Would you see anything different?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 8:49 AM

Quote:
I say its all going to be a question of square footage. I have heard the dollar store rumour about two years ago, all tho I do not know which one, i would say great canadian dollar store, accross from where rossy is currently, i think the units there are all empty on that side except mcgraw and maybe the hairdresser. i would be surprised if they can fit a 3rd dollarama in this town.

As for the shuffle of the rest of the stores, i will wait and see, personally, i would like to see giant tiger go to the place bathurst mall instead but the square footage in the brick store would be big enough(26000 sqft) i just feel it would be awkward since GT sells groceries and it would place them in the same mall as superstore. I do not think that they will take the space of the old brass, at 26000 sqft, they are already 3000sqf bigger then the one in Miramichi and they would be in the average size of their other stores.

As for the brick, that would give them almost an extra 4000 sqf, what i find that this store needs is inventory, they have next to nothing in stock and you always have to order. If they also take the other stores around, would boost them an extra 1500 sqf.

Rossy currently holds a little bit over 30 000 sqf, if they would move to place Bathurst mall, would make them take a little less than half of the old zellers that had 66 000sqf. The only logical thing i would see the mall do is to subdivide the rest of the space and do a hallway from the grenier to the old zellers door and make the entrance to rossy inside the mall, that will create a flow of foot traffic in the mall again which the stores by the old zellers inside entrance will be happy to see.

So basically if it is to happen, everything could work out, did he give you a time frame of when they woud move? The early sign that we would se this scenario take place would be renovations in the old zellers in order to accomodate new stores.

Would you see anything different?
I see a trend here. In Moncton the New Giant Tiger is taking up the old Dollorama, and I think the hallway, and what is left of the old Zellers, in what everyone seems to be referring to as the Superstore strip. In Bathurst there Rumored to be bringing in Giant Tiger in the same Mall as Super store, and seem to possibly be taking up the same size as the New Moncton location possibly... Very interesting...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 10:23 AM

Indeed there seems to be a great relationship between Giant Tiger and the leaseholder of the Superstores (which owns the entire mall in Bathurst) I can see Giant Tiger occupying the old brick and the Braas. simply to have the open store front to St Peter Avenue. As for the Dollar store....Im guessing a 3rd Dollarama to capture the traffic in this area, especially if all this development comes to pass....Dollarama
is popping up everywhere, and they are so massive that if it doesnt work out for them....its nothing to pack up ship, no real loss for them. My thought on Rossy at PBM....I see the mall creating a entry almost next to the clair France in the mall....and create some lease-able units in that area....then have a mall entry to rossy and also a front entry to rossy similar to how zellers was layed out on a smaller scale....I would love to see Marks move down in this area and expand......then scotia bank take the old marks location to create a couple of more smaller lease spots down in this area of the mall....perhaps another food option....just a thought......

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=theshark;7367050]I say its all going to be a question of square footage. I have heard the dollar store rumour about two years ago, all tho I do not know which one, i would say great canadian dollar store, accross from where rossy is currently, i think the units there are all empty on that side except mcgraw and maybe the hairdresser. i would be surprised if they can fit a 3rd dollarama in this town.

Would you see anything different?[/QUOT

He didnt give a time frame, that said from the sounds of it, it might be soon, I know of 2 former managers of another retailer now training for store managers of a bathurst and athollville locations of Giant Tiger. Im going to guess.....spring construction???

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 12:10 AM

Lets say construction start this spring, and with the substantial amount of renovation it will need, pretty sure everyone will be aiming for at least a fall opening

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 2:43 PM

Hear that the old hatheway ford building downtown Bathurst has been sold, apparently a business is to set up there, probably wont be able to set up before all the storage in there is removed some time this spring.

This year looks like its going to be a good year for the region!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Hear that the old hatheway ford building downtown Bathurst has been sold, apparently a business is to set up there, probably wont be able to set up before all the storage in there is removed some time this spring.

This year looks like its going to be a good year for the region!
This is a good building. Any more news on it??

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:58 PM

No, not sure if it will be a new business or an existing one moving, i presume its not all finalized yet as its still on the colliers website but hopefully going to have more news soon

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:49 PM

A little bit more detail about the mill site in bathurst. Robichaud said a toronto company is interested in the office building, one of his companies wants to build a gas station/convenience store and a food court building with 3 restaurants. More details on next counsel meeting

http://www.max1049.ca/localnews/story.aspx?ID=2193692

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 7:46 PM

Rumours are ramping up in campbellton for the zenabis plant, permit for production would of been granted, no news outlet confirming it but if in fact it has been granted, i would expect a news conference in the very near future.

That would be a good boost for the restigouche!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 6:51 PM

Ceo of Zenabis is supposed to be in campbellton next week, hopefully with good news! From what i gather, they have plowed around the building and have moved some of the vehicles in storage out of the building. The acadie nouvelle also says that the president of the Campbellton COC is expecting good news due to the activity around the building over the last weeks.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...nente-zenabis/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:25 PM

Since this place had been quiet a bit I decided to add a little tidbit. Apparently tonight we will know who will build the new arena in Edmundston. With the Provincial, Federal Government funding secured and the Municipal funding raised (they wanted 2,5 millions from the community and raised close to 4 as of now) construction will start this autumn and should last a year and a half. Exciting times for a project that was in the plans for so long. I see a Junior A team being there for the opening of the new arena.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:37 PM

Yes was actually in Edmundston last week, they have cleared a good portion of the lot.

I also saw that northwest roofers have built a gigantic garage on blvd acadie.

And the restaurant pad at grey rock is coming along.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 11:30 AM

Looks like the Ronam-Lainco team won the bid to design and build the new arena. ABCP Architecture will be responsible for the design, they were the ones who helped with the design of the Centre Vidéotron, Stade Chauveau and the Super PEPS in Quebec City. As a sports infrastructure fan I've been eying their stuff for a long time as they tend to incorporate wood (which they will be doing in the Edmundston arena). I think it looks pretty cool if you ask me. Considering it took 10 years to get there I think it's amazing we will finally see some dirt be moved.

http://edmundston.ca/fr/renseignemen...oie-un-contrat

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces