HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 9:30 PM

I simply cannot get excited in any sports league that has no teams in this country, let alone, in my city.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:08 AM

Go Argos! Finding my way back to my first love
Decades after he first fell for a squad of lovable losers, Royson James writes, celebrating the Argos’ 2017 Grey Cup win rekindled his passion for the team.
Royson James, Toronto Star December 5, 2017

Took the subway to Nathan Phillips Square last week — not to listen to political palaver from our peripatetic mayor but to celebrate the sports team Toronto almost forgot.

I used to bleed Double Blue. Ed Harrington and the Big Zee. Granny Liggins and Jim Corrigall and Jim Stillwagon; Joe “The Throw” Theismann, Leon “X-Ray” McQuay and Tricky Dick Thornton; Condredge Holloway and Terry Greer and the bittersweet Leo Cahill years when 50,000 wretched souls would pack Exhibition Stadium to watch Anthony Davis and a succession of fake Saviours.

Lovable Losers the Argos were during the 1970s — a decade when the Argo Bounce was a bad thing and the cry of Aaaaarrrgooossswas the anthem of the cursed as we boarded the express buses up Bathurst St. after another befuddling, incomprehensible snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory.

I had arrived in 1969, 17 years after the Argos’ last Grey Cup victory. Three decades would pass before the curse was lifted, but how was I supposed to know that when Coach Cahill said only “an act of God” could keep the Argos from winning, it took, seemingly, an act of God, over and over again.

In those days I could rattle off the names of the entire squad. But so much has changed, despite six Grey Cup victories since the curse was exorcised in 1983 and legends like Flutie and Pinball and Rocket were led by Bob O’Billovich and Don Matthews and Adam Rita.

My sons migrated to hoops heroes named Vince and MJ and Kobe and Mighty Mouse and looked south for gridiron gladiators — one latching on to the San Francisco 49ers; the other, led astray by his father to the Dallas Cowboys.

And, yet, here we are again, seeking to relight the flame between the Argos and me.

The Argos lit the football spark in a kid fresh from Montego Bay where football is, y’know, FOOTball. That fall, the junior team from Harbord Collegiate made it to the city football championship for the first time in 75 years and I was hooked.

The summer of 1970 I went to the library, signed out a book by Mel Profit, the Argo tight end, and learned to catch a football, my buddy Donald Coleman perfecting a spiral that landed in the greatest pair of hands on the planet. Harbord coach Dave Grace was ecstatic to get a rookie that September and promptly named him Sticky Fingers ’cause he wouldn’t drop either of the two passes the run-dominated team threw in a game.

And so, my son and I are in Nathan Phillips Square, half-hour early, wondering if Toronto is going to show up to show the Argos some love. And what do we see? A fan wearing a pristine Mel Profit #75 jersey. I shook his hand. “You are my vintage, sir,” I said. And we shared memories and swapped stories of Argos past and the sheer joy of this unexpected championship.

I haven’t been to BMO Field. Have not bought an Argo ticket since Darrell K. Smith was catching balls and Pinball was making tacklers look silly. But the team always has a comfortable place in the heart. They are a lovable bunch, easy to like, so family, so down to earth, so tight-knit, so fun, as wholesome as violent people playing a violent game could be.

Over the years we see them at community events, mentoring kids, sharing positive messages. They are more community-oriented than professional sports personalities we’ve come to know — probably because all but a few play for so little money.

Quarterback Ricky Ray I know. Coach Trestman, too. But Declan Cross? James Wilder Jr., Marcus Ball, DeVier Posey, Cassius Vaughn, Matt Black, Chris Van Zeyl?

Over time, the images and memories blur: Rocket Ismail dodging snowballs on the way to the end zone, John Candy and Bruce McNall delirious. Pinball hauling in the winning TD. Terry Greer catching everything. Anthony Davis for one marvellous day at the Ex. The guaranteed heartache of Labour Day at Ivor Wynne with the damn “Oskee wee wee, Oskee wa wa” chant casting a spell that would discombobulate even the most sure-handed Argo running back.

Then, driving home from Hamilton and, as therapy for the misery that loves company, listening to fans dissect the putrid entrails on the radio, Bob McCown hosting the post-mortem.

All that came back last Tuesday at Nathan Phillips Square.

The fan with the Mel Profit jersey says he sits around the 10-yard line at BMO Field and his season tickets cost about $500. Flabbergasted, I go to Argonauts.ca and, blimey, it’s true. Eleven games, including one playoff game. $500. Can you get a good single Leafs ticket for that little?

Maybe it’s an outgrowth of disgust with the way the NFL has blacklisted quarterback Colin Kaepernick for daring to protest police brutality. Maybe it’s the special feel of this Argo team — all family and love and teamwork and so endearing. Maybe one naturally returns home.

But I miss these guys. In 2018 I’ll return to my first love. Arrrrrggoooooosss.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I simply cannot get excited in any sports league that has no teams in this country, let alone, in my city.
Ya I tried about 6-7 years ago to take an interest in the NFL, even tried picking a random team to follow but I just couldn't. I don't understand how people in Canada pick a favourite team, always seemed odd to me.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Ya I tried about 6-7 years ago to take an interest in the NFL, even tried picking a random team to follow but I just couldn't. I don't understand how people in Canada pick a favourite team, always seemed odd to me.
I watch the NFL for entertainment value, which admittedly is pretty darn good if you like gridiron football.

I don't have a favourite team though. For the same reasons as you guys.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
This has always puzzled me as well. I hear people speak of "my (name your team)" in a way they never speak of a team in any other league, though most of them don't really follow the NFL closely, but usually only to bet. Strange.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:41 PM

^ If I lived in a NFL city I'm sure I'd be a huge fan of the _____s, but without a local team I just don't care. I could never just randomly adopt a team in a place I have no connection to. In much the same way, I never watched the NHL while the Jets were absent from Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
This has always puzzled me as well. I hear people speak of "my (name your team)" in a way they never speak of a team in any other league, though most of them don't really follow the NFL closely, but usually only to bet. Strange.
I remember listening to PTS and John Shannon (one of the few there I actually like) and he was going on about "my Wolverines" which I thought was really lame as he went to Ryerson.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:28 PM

I try my best to avoid an eyeroll when I listen to someone talking about "my Broncos" or whatever, but I think I'd probably just outright guffaw if I heard a Canadian university graduate refer to "my Buckeyes", "my Longhorns" or whatever.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I watch the NFL for entertainment value, which admittedly is pretty darn good if you like gridiron football.
I don't find the actual football entertaining, I find it quite boring, the very few times I have it on is to look for a Canadian player. As a former TV guy I find the spectacle and the coverage interesting and wonder why we don't do more of the same.

The TSN people are just as smart, they have access to much of the same resources, why isn't their coverage better?

For one thing I think TSN has become complacent, it seems new ideas are lacking and the coverage has become stale. I saw a game online covered by Hamilton's in house people, I thought they did a better job with what they had.

I understand the average amount of cameras on a TSN cast is 14 (I think) that's a helluva lot more than the old days. Why aren't cameras built into the goalposts, what about drones, the panel format is stale why not a shakeup.

The CFL.ca people are very innovative and come up with a lot of interesting content, TSN has to start getting and using ideas like that.

Back to my first paragraph about Canadian players, Bob McCown had an interesting concept I agree with and that is you need to have a rooting interest for a team for you to connect. So if I am flicking channels and I see the Chiefs I'll stop for a second to see if I can see LDT or if I see the Giants I'll look for Brett Jones.

I think that is a very underestimated market. It used to bother me that we would make shows as CanCon and pretend Toronto was Chicago or something and try to sell it to the US market. That's lame because then it is perceived as a cheap imitation when actually people want something to be different than what they can already see. The biggest successes have been shows that don't pretend to be something they're not, TPB, Anne of Green Gables, Corner Gas etc.

Why would an American like the CFL? For one it's a different game, another reason would be a viewer might like Canadian culture like many Canadians do with British TV. And getting back to an earlier thought, a viewer might have a rooting interest in a star college player from the same area (or not) and want to follow them like I sometimes do with LDT and Brett Jones.

The NFL Network is hurting for live content moreso than ESPN, the reality shows just don't cut it. That's why we're hearing all of this talk.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I try my best to avoid an eyeroll when I listen to someone talking about "my Broncos" or whatever, but I think I'd probably just outright guffaw if I heard a Canadian university graduate refer to "my Buckeyes", "my Longhorns" or whatever.
But they do

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I don't find the actual football entertaining, I find it quite boring, the very few times I have it on is to look for a Canadian player. As a former TV guy I find the spectacle and the coverage interesting and wonder why we don't do more of the same.

The TSN people are just as smart, they have access to much of the same resources, why isn't their coverage better?

For one thing I think TSN has become complacent, it seems new ideas are lacking and the coverage has become stale. I saw a game online covered by Hamilton's in house people, I thought they did a better job with what they had.

I understand the average amount of cameras on a TSN cast is 14 (I think) that's a helluva lot more than the old days. Why aren't cameras built into the goalposts, what about drones, the panel format is stale why not a shakeup.

The CFL.ca people are very innovative and come up with a lot of interesting content, TSN has to start getting and using ideas like that.

Back to my first paragraph about Canadian players, Bob McCown had an interesting concept I agree with and that is you need to have a rooting interest for a team for you to connect. So if I am flicking channels and I see the Chiefs I'll stop for a second to see if I can see LDT or if I see the Giants I'll look for Brett Jones.

I think that is a very underestimated market. It used to bother me that we would make shows as CanCon and pretend Toronto was Chicago or something and try to sell it to the US market. That's lame because then it is perceived as a cheap imitation when actually people want something to be different than what they can already see. The biggest successes have been shows that don't pretend to be something they're not, TPB, Anne of Green Gables, Corner Gas etc.

Why would an American like the CFL? For one it's a different game, another reason would be a viewer might like Canadian culture like many Canadians do with British TV. And getting back to an earlier thought, a viewer might have a rooting interest in a star college player from the same area (or not) and want to follow them like I sometimes do with LDT and Brett Jones.

The NFL Network is hurting for live content moreso than ESPN, the reality shows just don't cut it. That's why we're hearing all of this talk.
I often like to say that the first step to other people finding you interesting is convincing yourself that you're interesting. This applies to societies too.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
But they do
In at least two instances in my life I've known Ottawans who had season tickets to Syracuse Orangemen NCAA football, just over three hours away.

It's actually not that bad a commitment as it's only seven home games.

In one case they were football fanatics who did go to CFL games in Ottawa when there was a team, but in the other they wouldn't have gone to a CFL game unless they'd been dragged kicking and screaming.

In neither case none of these people had any prior connection whatsoever to Syracuse, nor did they ever go to CIS games at Ottawa U or Carleton. Not even the Panda Game.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:18 PM

^ Some people around here are like that with North Dakota hockey. A lot of people will go down there for a hockey game (Grand Forks, which is a small city that nevertheless sells out a spectacular 12,000 seat rink for every single hockey game). It's a pretty casual following though, I don't think there are many who have season tickets, and UND gets no coverage in the local media unless there is an exceptionally strong local angle as when Jonathan Toews was the captain there, or if they win the national championship.

Meanwhile the U of M Bisons play in front of a handful of moms and dads.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:24 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
^ If I lived in a NFL city I'm sure I'd be a huge fan of the _____s, but without a local team I just don't care. I could never just randomly adopt a team in a place I have no connection to. In much the same way, I never watched the NHL while the Jets were absent from Winnipeg.
I think in some cities it makes sense though. Vancouver's a bandwagon city, but when the Seahawks were big they were very visible throughout the city (and their merch outsold that of the Canucks). I don't think that specific example is so crazy when many people go to Seattle multiple times a year. I'd feel the same for Toronto and Buffalo.

Obviously the guy from Vancouver who cheers for the Patriots or the guy from Toronto who cheers for the Broncos is a whole different thing though, and tends to be the more common one overall. Real NFL fandom in Vancouver (non-bandwagon Seahawks superbowl fans) is definitely spread out across the entire league in that way, which I likewise don't understand.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^ Some people around here are like that with North Dakota hockey. A lot of people will go down there for a hockey game (Grand Forks, which is a small city that nevertheless sells out a spectacular 12,000 seat rink for every single hockey game). It's a pretty casual following though, I don't think there are many who have season tickets, and UND gets no coverage in the local media unless there is an exceptionally strong local angle as when Jonathan Toews was the captain there, or if they win the national championship.

Meanwhile the U of M Bisons play in front of a handful of moms and dads.
Syracuse U sports (they are pretty good at basketball too) get ZERO coverage in the Ottawa media. Even if they have locals from Ottawa playing there. Which they sometimes do.

But some local sports fans are still aware of them - what I described is still extremely marginal of course.

I may be wrong but there probably aren't any more than 20 people from Ottawa at any Syracuse home game.

It's nonetheless surprising the lengths some people will go to for their Big Time American Sports Fix.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I think in some cities it makes sense though. Vancouver's a bandwagon city, but when the Seahawks were big they were very visible throughout the city (and their merch outsold that of the Canucks). I don't think that specific example is so crazy when many people go to Seattle multiple times a year. I'd feel the same for Toronto and Buffalo.

Obviously the guy from Vancouver who cheers for the Patriots or the guy from Toronto who cheers for the Broncos is a whole different thing though, and tends to be the more common one overall. Real NFL fandom in Vancouver (non-bandwagon Seahawks superbowl fans) is definitely spread out across the entire league in that way, which I likewise don't understand.
And I can fully understand someone from Windsor being a Detroit Lions fan. They are for all intents and purposes a "home team" for them.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's nonetheless surprising the lengths some people will go to for their Big Time American Sports Fix.

Don't you talk like that about My Orangemen!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Don't you talk like that about My Orangemen!
What are you gonna do, send the Dome Ranger after me?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:47 PM
Rational urbanist

I'll add that University of Washington sports has absolutely no presence or visibility whatsoever in Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:09 PM

It's no coincidence that the Leafs are honouring the Argo's at the game tonight vs the Calgary Flames is it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada