HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:21 AM
Stay Thirsty.

This is my favorite NEW building in LoDo! Only fitting it 'tries' to look like its old counterparts. I wish we could have saved more turn of the century structures, but I love the ones we have saved; and how well DenverAztec shows these buildings to the world. I love this city!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:37 AM
Exploring the world

Thumbs up Comprehensive display !

Thanks again, Denver Aztec for an awesome thread of your home city! Its amazing how you tell Denver's "stories" with your pictures. Love your composition...its an art.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 10:09 PM
MANNING IS HERE!!!

hey, these are my neighboors as well....although, i don't recognize the girl off the top of my head. i routinely hand money to that guy when i'm turning that corner to get home from work tho. he helped me get my friend out of ice during the bad winter we had last year...5am and somehow he's out walking around with shovel and gravel. amazing...we coulda never got out without him, and my friend is an idiot for taking the alley exit from the parking lot right there. i was so happy with getting NLCS tix one day i just handed him $10 and you could tell that made his day

Cityscapes, skylines, landscapes and more at http://www.gjmphotography.com/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 4:45 AM

This thread was better than part one IMO.

Btw, what they did to the ground floor level of that building on the right is an abomination:

Last edited by Cementglow; Jan 11, 2008 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoCSU05 View Post
hey, these are my neighboors as well....although, i don't recognize the girl off the top of my head. i routinely hand money to that guy when i'm turning that corner to get home from work tho. he helped me get my friend out of ice during the bad winter we had last year...5am and somehow he's out walking around with shovel and gravel. amazing...we coulda never got out without him, and my friend is an idiot for taking the alley exit from the parking lot right there. i was so happy with getting NLCS tix one day i just handed him $10 and you could tell that made his day

LOL, this cat probably makes more money then you and I put together as he is always there and everyone is always giving him money. He knows when the folks from the burbs are in town for games and he knows how to work the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cementglow View Post
Btw, what they did to the ground floor level of that building on the right is an abomination:
Sometimes you just want to slap around the owners of some of these buildings! I think they closed off the front and put the entry on the side. It is now a residence and the owner didn't want the front of his house to have store front windows. He could have at least thought up something to fit in with the area instead of just bricking it up!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 2:28 AM
BANNED

God Damn You DenverAztec!!!

Just when I am going through a major Denver withdraw you flash a excellent photo thread of Lodo infront of my eyes!

you're like the guy pushing a shot of Vodka on the alcoholic that has been sober for years.

Excellent thread, you bring back all the denver memories for me. I use to work down on Wazee. I love Denver, and miss it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 2:45 AM
BANNED

I hate posting twice in a row.

However, I was just thinking. It would be cool if one of you denvernites would do nothing but a long colfax thread. It is labled one of the longest twisted streets in America. If you set foot by the Capitol and just headed east you would probably end up with some excellent shots. Take some shots of the homeless crackheads that hang out in front of Harry's bar. It would make a good picture.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I hate posting twice in a row.

However, I was just thinking. It would be cool if one of you denvernites would do nothing but a long colfax thread. It is labled one of the longest twisted streets in America. If you set foot by the Capitol and just headed east you would probably end up with some excellent shots. Take some shots of the homeless crackheads that hang out in front of Harry's bar. It would make a good picture.
Actually, a few forumers from other cities have asked me to meet up with them for a Colfax shoot this Spring. Colfax is the longest commercial street in the country, not just "twisted". You will eventually see some shot on this colorful and diverse street!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 12:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
Actually, a few forumers from other cities have asked me to meet up with them for a Colfax shoot this Spring. Colfax is the longest commercial street in the country, not just "twisted". You will eventually see some shot on this colorful and diverse street!
That would be cool. I use to live two blocks off colfax, and walked East Colfax from downtown to Cherry Creek many times. Colfax made me angry sometimes. I read about how it use to be historic buildings going down the whole way. Then they tore many down to put up Argonout liquor, pizza huts, wendy's, and other chains with parking lots. However the other's that are left are wonderful.

Actually, last night I was looking at discount airline tickets online, and I could fly out there for about 275. Most likely I am taking a few days of vacation and going out to Denver to see old friends again. I want to walk all over the city and get pictures that I never got when living out there. I would go to the belcaro neighborhood, east colfax, all of Capitol hill, uptown, downtown, lodo, washpark, cherry creek, Baker, Five points and so much more. I really need to photograph the places that I remember out there as I never did when I was there. I also want to get the dump of a place I lived on Clarkson for a year before they tear the old dump down and put up a new condo.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 2:39 PM

GREAT tour!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
That would be cool. I use to live two blocks off colfax, and walked East Colfax from downtown to Cherry Creek many times. Colfax made me angry sometimes. I read about how it use to be historic buildings going down the whole way. Then they tore many down to put up Argonout liquor, pizza huts, wendy's, and other chains with parking lots. However the other's that are left are wonderful.

It must have been really nice in its trolly car days! Still a lot to see but so much was demolished.

Actually, last night I was looking at discount airline tickets online, and I could fly out there for about 275. Most likely I am taking a few days of vacation and going out to Denver to see old friends again. I want to walk all over the city and get pictures that I never got when living out there. I would go to the belcaro neighborhood, east colfax, all of Capitol hill, uptown, downtown, lodo, washpark, cherry creek, Baker, Five points and so much more. I really need to photograph the places that I remember out there as I never did when I was there. I also want to get the dump of a place I lived on Clarkson for a year before they tear the old dump down and put up a new condo.
Some real arm pits on Clarkson, I lived at 8th and Clarkson for a few years until I bought my condo at 7th and Washington. In Belcaro/Bonnie Brae area, be sure to check out the Phipps Mansion when you are here. They use to give tours but not sure any more, call first. However, the outside and the old English gardens are worth a look on their own. It had more then seventy rooms when built and one of the best mansions in Denver.

http://www.du.edu/phipps/hours_location.html

The Phipps Mansion

Built between 1931 and 1933, the 33,123 square foot Georgian style Phipps Mansion is comprised of more than seventy rooms, two of which were imported from England. The facility is furnished in the Chippendale and Queen Anne styles and features American, European, and Asian art.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 6:14 AM
..... On belay

Damn nice pics !!! Thanks for the time spent shooting & uploading. Funny how sometimes you've been by a place many times and then you see it with great lighting, composition and it just pops out at you. Great job !!!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 2:08 AM
Here we stAy

Wish I woulda seen this thread sooner. Amazing set of pics.

Seems like the building on the corner could become a cool restaurant with outdoor seating. Lotsa extra sidewalk space.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 2:21 AM

you should get to know the girl and skip the guy.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 3:08 AM
BANNED

I sat here for about 40 minutes re-looking at this Denver thread. Thanks for the bump

Last edited by JackStraw; Oct 2, 2008 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 2:48 AM
I like this much better

My friend gave that dude some guitar strings once. He only had two at the time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 9:29 PM

Outstanding pics, Aztec! way to go! I am in the middle of my Colfax thread, starting from the western end (Sheridan and colfax) and I hope to end up at the eastern end, Zenobia and colfax? just before Aurora. I will try to edit the pics down to the most basics which capture the atmosphere and vibe of that fabled avenue. When will I post it? Soooooon! I hope... (ps..the infamous alleyways are included, thank goodness I brought my "bodyguard" with me while I was photographing.

Aztec, your pictures make me so proud of living here in the mile high city!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos