HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:23 PM

Additional demolition permits were filed today:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 9:27 PM
New Yorker for life

The filings so far...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:19 AM

I hope this isn't one of these sites that undergo demolition and then sit empty for 3-4 years (or more) before seeing any action. Too many of those around the city and it's annoying!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:52 AM

Is that all the parcels they need? or do they still need 10

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
I hope this isn't one of these sites that undergo demolition and then sit empty for 3-4 years (or more) before seeing any action. Too many of those around the city and it's annoying!
Macklowe builds when he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19215 View Post
Is that all the parcels they need? or do they still need 10
Just the properties highlited above.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Macklowe builds when he can.
Yes, I understand that and I'm just saying that I hope "when he can" is sooner rather than much later so that we don't end up with empty lots still waiting for development years after the destruction of [sometimes handsome] buildings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:13 AM

Macklowe is a primo dirtball. My money says he razes all the nice 19th century former mansions and townhouses on this site and lets them sit vacant, rat-infested, right next to St. Patrick's, till some other developer buys them.

The design for this thing is so unbelievably bad that I don't think he actually intends to build anything. This is a raze-and-flip - with our city's history and aesthetics the loser.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 2:47 PM

Demolition Work for Harry Macklowe’s Supertall Tower starts

Demolition Work for Harry Macklowe’s Supertall Tower Fifth at 5 East 51st Street Entering Full Swing, in Midtown East

https://newyorkyimby.com/2019/06/dem...town-east.html

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer34 View Post
Macklowe is a primo dirtball. My money says he razes all the nice 19th century former mansions and townhouses on this site and lets them sit vacant, rat-infested, right next to St. Patrick's, till some other developer buys them.

The design for this thing is so unbelievably bad that I don't think he actually intends to build anything. This is a raze-and-flip - with our city's history and aesthetics the loser.
This tower will be hideous .

Last edited by JMKeynes; Jun 17, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:29 PM

Love this tower. IMO this is the best upcoming supertall addition to Midtown.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Love this tower. IMO this is the best upcoming supertall addition to Midtown.
It will be one of the most desired business addresses in that part of Midtown. The rents he will bring in will not only show how justified this tower is, but also show the difference in what people think should be built, as opposed to what the market demands. But we're a long way off from that. The approvals process probably won't begin until the fall, assuming the application is complete and certified by then. I still place this about a year behind 270 in terms of that.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 12:07 PM

The scary part is that, examining this design, it gives credence to those that fell the Big design is preferable to the Foster design. Seems this will warrant Foster believers into capitulating to the idea that box structure are the wave of the future. Although, I too appreciate this design.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
The scary part is that, examining this design, it gives credence to those that fell the Big design is preferable to the Foster design.
Assuming you're referring to 2 WTC, I've always preferred the BIG design over the Foster. It's more current, has greater bulk, the floorplans make more sense and does a better job at restoring the skyline.

But obviously, design preferences are subjective.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
The scary part is that, examining this design, it gives credence to those that fell the Big design is preferable to the Foster design. Seems this will warrant Foster believers into capitulating to the idea that box structure are the wave of the future. Although, I too appreciate this design.
This has nothing to do at all with neither the Foster nor the BIG design, which is at the 2 WTC site, and has it's own particular design guidelines and constraints. Nothing at all in common, and likely won't even seek the same type of office tenants.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:00 AM
New Yorker for life

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/gutsy-...ela-consulate/

Plans for Tower Fifth in Midtown include Venezuela consulate

By Lois Weiss
June 18, 2019

Quote:
The current Venezuelan consulate on East 51st Street is supposed to be incorporated into Harry Macklowe’s proposed Tower Fifth skyscraper, and any sale seems to have escaped complications from US sanctions.

Macklowe, now sailing on his yacht in Europe, responded to a request about Venezuela and possible US government issues by e-mailing it’s “done.”

To create the tower that will stretch mid-block through to East 52nd Street, Macklowe also purchased 12 E. 52nd St. in 2016 for $32 million. Records show he is also in contract to buy 14 E. 52nd St., with that sale scheduled to close before June 30.

If approved by all the powers that need be, the proposed 1.3- million-square-foot tower will have an observatory, food hall, glass galleria spanning the block, an auditorium and offices. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Good news. One less hurdle to get this built. At first, I was thinking the consulate would be a sticky point given the turbulence with that land and all.

But nevertheless, on the right track with this news, and demo permits in place for some of the parcels!

Quote:
Macklowe, now sailing on his yacht in Europe, responded to a request about Venezuela and possible US government issues by e-mailing it’s “done.”
What a boss, just a boss. One word email responses. A new, young wife just a few months after his divorce, sailing on his yacht, like the Wolf of Wall Street. Macklowe is the man!!!

The show goes on!!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Good news. One less hurdle to get this built. At first, I was thinking the consulate would be a sticky point given the turbulence with that land and all.

But nevertheless, on the right track with this news, and demo permits in place for some of the parcels!

What a boss, just a boss. One word email responses. A new, young wife just a few months after his divorce, sailing on his yacht, like the Wolf of Wall Street. Macklowe is the man!!!

The show goes on!!!
I've always liked Macklowe. The guy gets things done, and came back from being almost totally ruined by the Great Recession.

He's somehow simultaneously a top player and an underdog

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:51 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

He kept the younger model in one of his Park Ave buildings for a few years before divorcing!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
I've always liked Macklowe. The guy gets things done, and came back from being almost totally ruined by the Great Recession.
People always forget that. Macklowe now seems to be living his best life, and why not?

Quote:
To keep up with the times, Mr. Malkin’s team has done a major renovation of the Empire State Building, with higher energy-efficiency standards and upgrades to the observation decks.

Nearby, more competition is looming. A proposed building in Midtown East called Tower Fifth, to be developed by Macklowe Properties, could rise to 1,551 feet, topped by an observatory with a 60-foot transparent slide.

“I’m not even going to comment on the subject of Tower Fifth,” Mr. Malkin said.

Haters are gonna hate, but he builds.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:40 PM

That's just sexist and unnecesary. Like politics should be kept to a minimum, so should high fiving bro talk. I'm certainly not impresed he landed a trophy wife. She should watch out in ten years. Keep to the thoughts on the tower, and where anyone else is mentioned it should be in a professional way. That ends my hijack of the thread...hope others get the drift and follow suit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals