HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Yes, I suppose I should have wrote that I don't understand the appeal. I just don't enjoy watching cars drive, whether its semi-trailer trucks on Deerfoot Trail or million dollar race cars going in a circle. At least when you watch a marathon, or even horse racing or dog racing, you can appreciate the strength, passion, and beauty of the racers. I just can't appreciate the glory of winning the Indy 500 because your tires were slightly lighter than the other drivers'.
I guess your missing that it involves skill. Especially in the champ series...and its more then just driving in a circle (you're thinking nascar ...)

did you know that the champ car has no power steering? takes a little strength to make that corner @ xxx mph

I'm sure others will edumacate you further, as I have not much of a different opinion then yours... Though, its changing... (going to the grand prix helped that)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:37 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
At least when you watch a marathon, or even horse racing or dog racing, you can appreciate the strength, passion, and beauty of the racers. I just can't appreciate the glory of winning the Indy 500 because your tires were slightly lighter than the other drivers'.
Actually, it takes a certain individual to race cars. It's alot more than just getting and driving. The sheer power that these vehicles produce is mindboggling. Drivers must be able to think critically and make split second decisions. All this while sitting in a cockpit slightly larger than a babys tub flying at over 100mph.

Here is a quote from Simon Pagenaud.

Simon Pagenaud #15 Aussie Vineyards Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 7th, Finished 4th)

Canada is a great country. I really love coming here. They have great racetracks, especially Edmonton. Again, we had a very good attendance. It was really crowded. It's very enjoyable for us driver. I want to thanks all the fans for that. The Triple Crown is a great thing because it involve a little bit more the Canadian fan, and I think that's a great move from Champ Car. I've been thinking about it's such a good championship and I'm also glad to be able to win this championship with Will. We have been so far the strongest combination since the beginning of the year, and it's great. You know, we are working together. I just want to say thanks to Craig Gore and Derrick Walker. The Aussie Vineyards team has been so, so strong since a couple of races.”

Last edited by CMD UW; Jul 23, 2007 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:42 AM
surely you agree with me

those are great photos....i came into this section hoping to find something about it....it is such a shame that a great event like this (and toronto) are basically for the people in the stands and thats it...there is zero publicity beyond that for CHAMP car these days....was this even on TV?....does speed carry CHAMP now?...im a racing fan and i have no idea when or where to find CHAMP anymore.

i wish they would get their act together and kill off IRL...the cars are ugly, the races are lame....indy cars used to be awesome and the canadian stops the highlight of the season.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:50 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
those are great photos....i came into this section hoping to find something about it....it is such a shame that a great event like this (and toronto) are basically for the people in the stands and thats it...there is zero publicity beyond that for CHAMP car these days....was this even on TV?....does speed carry CHAMP now?...im a racing fan and i have no idea when or where to find CHAMP anymore.

i wish they would get their act together and kill off IRL...the cars are ugly, the races are lame....indy cars used to be awesome and the canadian stops the highlight of the season.
ABC Sports and ESPN televise CHAMP. ESPN televised the race on Sunday.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:51 AM
Community Guy

global in canada

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:52 AM
Kevin Folds Five

Watch the europeans race indy cars - some of their tracks are insane.

Also - Reesonov - perhaps your thinking about "Nascar" - this is definately not NASCAR. It's Champcar.

It's not about beer, bitches and fame ala nascar.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:09 AM
Community Guy

"It's not about beer, bitches and fame ala nascar."

thats for damn sure...it is about just bitches and beer

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:15 AM

Good job Edmonton, looks like you had another successful year of the CHAMP... now where the hell do you have that race, I assumed it was at Budweiser Park, obviously not?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:17 AM
Community Guy

^municipal airport downtown...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 8:05 AM
Khan

I didn't really mean to imply that drivers aren't athletic or don't have skill. Certainly they are the best in the world at something that is very difficult to do. But I just don't find it aesthetically interesting in the same way that watching a person run fast, or lift something heavy, or throw something far.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:21 PM
Community Guy

^fair enough...but what i think you should do is take a track lesson at racecity...then tell me if what you think.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton