HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:07 PM

Does anyone know what is happening on the north side of the 402 between the Wonderland exit and 401? For the past at least few weeks they have been clearling land

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:00 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I can't visualize it. The north side of the 402 is above the 401 which is to the south of the 402 and the Wonderland Rd exit. Do you mean the south side of said highway?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I can't visualize it. The north side of the 402 is above the 401 which is to the south of the 402 and the Wonderland Rd exit. Do you mean the south side of said highway?
I think I know where he means - between the 402 and Dingman Drive?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I think I know where he means - between the 402 and Dingman Drive?
It's a field between 4585 and 4351 Dingman Drive. It backs on to the 402.
They are doing site servicing and/or lot grading. I've seen them working out there in the dark using artificial lighting, which is very unusual for this time of year.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 6:36 PM
User Registered

Perhaps its work on upgrading the Wonderland/402 interchange?

I would assume it will need to be upgraded sometime. There's only 4 ramps and 2 lanes that go over the 402. With Wonderland being extended to the 401, I'd envision 6 ramps and 4 lanes going over.

The interchange looks to be designed so the extra 2 ramps could be fit in. I would assume another 2 lane bridge would be built parallel to the existing one, rather than demolish it to build a 4 lane bridge.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Perhaps its work on upgrading the Wonderland/402 interchange?

I would assume it will need to be upgraded sometime. There's only 4 ramps and 2 lanes that go over the 402. With Wonderland being extended to the 401, I'd envision 6 ramps and 4 lanes going over.

The interchange looks to be designed so the extra 2 ramps could be fit in. I would assume another 2 lane bridge would be built parallel to the existing one, rather than demolish it to build a 4 lane bridge.
It is awfully far away, so I do not think it would have anything to do with Wonderland. It is basically half way between Wonderland and 401. Where Snark suggested sounds correct.

They have being working on it non stop for the past at least month or more.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 9:06 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
It is basically half way between Wonderland and 401. Where Snark suggested sounds correct.
Sorry still trying to get context of the location.

Half way on what road between Wonderland and the 401? Scotland Drive?

Westminster Drive?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.8904791,-81.2665753,15z

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
sorry still trying to get context of the location.

Half way on what road between wonderland and the 401? Scotland drive?

Westminster drive?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.8904791,-81.2665753,15z
42°54'23.92"n
81°15'43.94"w

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
42°54'23.92"n
81°15'43.94"w
That looks pretty darn accurate to the spot.

I am not sure if you can see anything happening from Dingman or not, but there is plenty of construction equipment working around the clock.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:02 AM

Glad to see this is still in the works. I thought it might be dead. They will obviously be tweaking the design a bit...

A $100-million Rygar Corp. building is still proposed for the core, but on land near the original Fullarton St. site
London Free Press, Feb 6

The original proposal for the Rygar Tower, shown here, called for 33 storeys, 110 metres to 112 metres high, ground-floor retail, two storeys of underground parking and five above ground as well as 248 residential apartments on floors 8 to 33.

A towering residential development proposed for downtown London is on the move, but it’s still on track to be built.

Rygar Corp. had proposed a $100-million, 33-storey, 248-unit tower at Talbot and Fullarton streets. It would have been London’s tallest building.

But the deal to buy the site at 100 Fullarton St. — the former Haskett Menear law firm — fell through. So Rygar has shifted its attention and picked up a new parcel of land nearby, said sources close to the development.

“Rygar properties is proceeding with a revised development and it does not include 100 Fullarton St.,” said Elizabeth Cormier, partner in the law firm Patton Cormier and Associates, representing the builder.

Because the location has changed, Rygar, which received planning approval for the initial proposal, will have to approach the city again for new zoning, said planning director John Fleming.

“I am very pleased to hear plans are in the works. We do encourage residential development downtown. We are interested in hearing the next steps,” Fleming said.

Rygar received “bonusing” provisions allowing it to build 33 storeys and have a greater density, so planning would have to receive a new application to see if it still qualifies for that height in the new location, he added.

“They would have to come in for a zoning amendment,” said Fleming, adding that a new application should not pose a problem.

The new site would still be within the downtown area where development charges on residential construction are not paid by builders — but by ratepayers instead — as an incentive to build residences downtown.

Planning committee approved the original Rygar proposal one year ago this month, before the site change.

The initial proposal would have seen the ground floor allocated for retailing, with five floors of parking above that. Floors 8 to 33 would have 248 residential units and stand 110 to 112 metres high, making it the city’s tallest building.

Richard Zelinka, partner in the planning firm Zelinka Priamo, is working with Rygar on the project and confirmed it’s still in the works.

“I can say the applicant is still very active. It will be very soon,” Zelinka said. “It will be the same type of development, the same quality and style. It will reflect what has been seen before, with adjustments as needed.”

--- --- ---

OTHER PLANS

50 King St.: Middlesex County has proposed a 30-storey, 200-unit residential highrise, worth $80 million to $100 million. It will have retail and commercial on site.

King and Clarence streets: Ayerswood Development Corp. has proposed two residential towers, 550 units, valued at $100 million. It will have retail and commercial on site.

96 Ridout St. S.: Tricar Developments Inc. proposing 22-storey condominium, 191 units. They will be one-bedroom, two-bedroom and penthouse units. They also will build eight attached townhouse units in front of the tower.

Horton and Waterloo: Creative Property Development proposing a highrise 15 to 25 storeys, $45 million.

Others: City planning department is tracking what may be as many as 2,900 new residential units in the downtown and Old east Village over the coming years.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 8:58 PM

This past week I bumped into John Fleming and was able to chat with him for a few minutes. I have spoken to him before and he is really approachable and likes to discuss development and planning, etc.

I asked him about all these residential tower developments downtown - whether or not they are really going to come to fruition. He told me that it is unlikely that all the towers will be built that are proposed, but that there are around 16-17 different proposals for downtown residential towers. I asked him specifically about Rygar and he said that they are definately serious. The land they orignially wanted was scooped up by Drewlo, who will be proposing something on the same site eventually. Also spoke to him about rapid transit and he is a big propronent of RT, specifically LRT.

Glad to see things happening in London, and it will be even better when we see some shovels in the ground for some of these projects.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 2:42 AM
The Vomit Bag.

If we get half (the better half, that is), I will be very pleased.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 6:37 AM

I would love to see the King and Clarence development go thru......that's a hole that needs to be plugged.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 10:20 PM

So according to Business London magazine, Rygar has now purchased the Hakim Optical building (501 Talbot) along with 93-95 Dufferin Ave for a total price of $3.3 million. They had previously purchased 475 Talbot and the row houses along Talbot (479-489). If you look at this on a map, they own a huge chunk of land.

There is no way that Rygar will only build one tower on this site as it is far too big and they paid too much money just to put up one tower. I am looking forward to seeing their plans soon. The previous tower (where they got scooped on the land from Drewlo) was London's 2nd tallest and a nice design. Hopefully we see some great design and even taller.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
So according to Business London magazine, Rygar has now purchased the Hakim Optical building (501 Talbot) along with 93-95 Dufferin Ave for a total price of $3.3 million. They had previously purchased 475 Talbot and the row houses along Talbot (479-489). If you look at this on a map, they own a huge chunk of land.

There is no way that Rygar will only build one tower on this site as it is far too big and they paid too much money just to put up one tower. I am looking forward to seeing their plans soon. The previous tower (where they got scooped on the land from Drewlo) was London's 2nd tallest and a nice design. Hopefully we see some great design and even taller.
How much of the adjacent land is part of this deal? 501 Talbot in itself is a fairly large building but I do not see how more than one tower could be built in that same space.

I assume part of the alley on Talbot and maybe Dufferin would be included but that does not amount to much extra space.

Any chance there is a link to this, someone at our office tossed the magazine so I cannot take a look.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Any chance there is a link to this, someone at our office tossed the magazine so I cannot take a look.
www.businesslondon.ca

You can click on the virtual magazine for March 2015 and there is a page with all transactions on it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:02 PM

Ah ha makes more sense now, I misread your post not noting that they also acquired 93-95 Dufferin Ave.

So yes I would agree we are now talking about a pretty big piece of property. Hopefully we get to see sooner than later what the new plan is (hopefully still a 110m+ building)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:01 PM

The agenda for the next Urban Design review panel is in. No reviews for downtown buildings, but some projects of interest, especially a fairly large and attractive residential project across from Masonville. Take a look if your interested.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...-Meetings.aspx

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 3:24 AM
Downtown

Lets hope this proposal comes to fruition. A 30+ story development downtown would do wonders encouraging local business downtown, especially on the west side of Richmond. Too many empty parking lots. And with the opening of the new Fanshawe satellite campus on Dundas, things are moving in the right direction.

For those in the north end, there's a small residential development underway on Fanshawe Park Rd. and Louise Blvd., just west of Richmond. Looks nice - modern 4 story loft style condo complex sitting on the crest of the hill as you travel down Fanshawe to Richmond. You can see the proposed development in the second pic. Sorry wasn't able to snap one from the Fanshawe side, arguably its best angle.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 3:49 PM

New project from York developments downtown London 304 Talbot St.

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/05/09/fo...arcane-digital

http://yorkdev.ca/listings/304-talbot-street/ Marketing package.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates