HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Queensborough-Quay Pedestrian Bridge | Proposed

I think any of us who live in New West and love the place will agree that this bridge is extremely necessary, and was wondering if anybody had some more insight into this proposal than I do.

I found this: http://www.newwestcity.ca/council_mi...Sep%203%20.pdf
it doesn't have much but at least it is something.

Also, in a PDF about the new Civic Centre, it mentions that the bridge is to be built between 2013 and 2015.

http://www.newwestcity.ca/database/r...an_27_2011.pdf

That's about all I know right now.
Any further information would be much appreciated

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:41 AM

I don't really have any other salient details... but I suspect that the victory of so many pro-development New West incumbents in the muncipal election bodes well for this bridge actually being built (especially given the Nimby attitudes of most of the also-rans). That said, expect a political dogfight: Quayside residents HATE just about any proposed construction in their neighbourhood (and the trains... and the tugboats....). I'd love to see it built though!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
I don't really have any other salient details... but I suspect that the victory of so many pro-development New West incumbents in the muncipal election bodes well for this bridge actually being built (especially given the Nimby attitudes of most of the also-rans). That said, expect a political dogfight: Quayside residents HATE just about any proposed construction in their neighbourhood (and the trains... and the tugboats....). I'd love to see it built though!
It would be great to see it built.

The problem is the NIMBYs in the area. Same problem as the Burnaby Gondola. People are worried about privacy. A good time to encourage council to build it as it is right after an election.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:48 AM

Wait a minute... people actually object to this bridge being built? Am I hearing this correct? =O

EDIT: Oh wait... right... those "moving into the railyard means I can shut it down" Quayside residents... I thought someone meant Queensborough residents instead...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:51 AM
ARTchitecture

lol yeah! I love how there are people living literally right beside the train tracks... but yet they are complaining about privacy from... a pedestrian bridge? Makes sense.

not.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:34 AM

I think part of their objection is that one of the initial plans called for the bridge ending up in the playground next to the southern arm train bridge. But they try to kill everything... I heard they sunk an idea for a floating wharf coming off the board walk...

Be interesting to see what they say about that park they are going to build down by the quay...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:46 AM
ARTchitecture

A wharf would be sweet. I'd absolutely love it if they built like a pier with restaurants on it and stuff But that is just a pipe dream haha!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 4:47 AM

Any more come of this plan? This cool looking pedestrian bridge in Calgary would be perfect for a pedestrian friendly downtown New West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
A few shots from this morning in the fog

Peace Bridge by Incremental Photo, on Flickr

The deck lighting was a nice touch I thought

Peace Bridge Deck Lighting by Incremental Photo, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:01 AM

i don't know if it would have enough clearance would it? the train bridge in that area is a swing one to let boat traffic thorugh

something cool like that would be good though

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:11 AM

Not enough clearance. That is why I always thought a air tram would be the best solution. Two towers and two cabins pulling each other back and forth. Just need the cable, the two towers, two cabins, a motor and one or two employees at a 100-120grand annual rate, plus maintenance and cost to run it would be cheap on a simple set up like this. Cheaper then a bridge im sure, no problems with clearance, quicker and more comfortable transit time. Have a bus route on both ends and a small park and ride/pick up drop of lot and your done.

The cost of a bridge with enough clearance is going to be huge, 50+ mill I would say.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 9:11 PM

Air tram!? That's casually absurd. No way there will be enough demand to justify an air tram... also it would be limited to hours of operation. A pedestrian bridge (with a higher clearance) is much more realistic.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 6:36 AM

single lane for transit?

So the projected budget for this project is around $10 million. How feasible would it be to upgrade the scope of this bridge to handle a single lane of vehicle traffic ie. for buses ONLY - with a signal light on either end so there is only ever one vehicle on the bridge at a time? Can anyone with experience estimate how much that would add to the project cost? A little bit, or would it be more like double the cost?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 AM

That'll significantly drive up costs.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 5:37 AM

theres no roads on either side they would have to build a roadway for the busses and it would destroy the playground in the process

think outside the box people how about false creek style ferries serving queensbourough landing, new west quay etc. in addition to the much needed bridge - the walmart would actually be an easy walk or bike ride for all those condo dwellers on the wrong side

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 7:19 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
theres no roads on either side they would have to build a roadway for the busses and it would destroy the playground in the process

think outside the box people how about false creek style ferries serving queensbourough landing, new west quay etc. in addition to the much needed bridge - the walmart would actually be an easy walk or bike ride for all those condo dwellers on the wrong side
The point is that locals should use it. The False Creek ferries are more expensive than taking a bus across, but are more convenient when going between certain destinations, which I believe is why most locals don't use them. Tourists definitely do, though.

Last edited by Alex Mackinnon; Jun 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 1:17 PM

The ferries used to be $2.50 to $3. Wasn't bad then. I was going to take the ferry recently from Granville Island, saw the price, and went to catch the 50 instead.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:29 PM

Looks like the pedestrian bridge is part of the proposed greenway: http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/...s/DSSGWMap.pdf

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 12:30 AM

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/busin...tml?id=8546375

Quote:
'Boro bridge on city's agenda

Public will be consulted on pedestrian bridge linking Quayside to Queensborough

By Theresa McManus, The Record
June 19, 2013

The long-awaited proposal to connect the Quayside and Queensborough communities is closer to becoming a reality.

The City of New Westminster will be consulting with the public about two low-level crossing options for a pedestrian and cyclist connection between the two neighbourhoods. Council has directed staff to begin a community consultation process, conduct additional research and include the options as part of the city's grant selection process.

Mayor Wayne Wright noted a connection between the two neighbourhoods is something the city has been working on for a long time.

Coun. Jonathan Cote said the connection is important for both communities, from both a recreational and transportation perspective. He said he's pleased to see a low structure that will have minimal to no impact on neighbourhoods on either side of the proposed crossing.

A June 17 staff report states that Southern Railway of B.C. approached the city in late 2012 about the possibility of the city building a low-level crossing in and around its existing rail bridge, as it would be amenable to adopting its operation procedures to facilitate a pedestrian and cyclist crossing. Two options were developed that include a raised causeway from the boardwalks on each side of the river leading to a movable centre span.

In one of the options being considered, the crossing would be connected to the existing rail swing bridge; in the other it would be a separate "bascule bridge" or a drawbridge.

"Both of these options have the potential to provide an accessible, low-level route with high availability and low community impact," said the report. "The designs have no impact on existing boardwalks and park space and are designed to be fully accessible and facilitate safe, two-way access for both pedestrians and cyclists as well as light service vehicles. In the detailed design phase, the potential for facilitating ambulance access will also be studied."

Mark Allison, a senior planner with the city, said the city is also looking at building a pleasant waiting area where cyclists and pedestrians could wait, if the crossing is open because vessels are moving through the Fraser River and the bridge is open.

According to the report, the cost of building a connected bridge is estimated to be about $5 million and the cost of the bascule bride is about $9.5 million.

Several years ago, the City of New Westminster negotiated gaming funding known as development assistance compensation. The development assistance compensation agreement provided $5 million for parkland improvements in Queensborough, $35 million for a multi-use civic facility in the downtown, $6.2 million for expansion of facility at Queensborough Community Centre, $4 million for riverfront dock and facility improvements and $10 million for a Queensborough/water-front pedestrian bridge.

Last spring, city council agreed to reallocate $8 million from the pedestrian crossing and dock improvement projects to the Anvil Centre project, but didn't specify the amount coming out of either project. The June 17 staff report stated dock repairs in front of Fraser River Discovery Centre have been dropped, which means $6.2 million is now available for the crossing.

According to the staff report, the city has until 2017 to use the development assistance compensation funds on the remaining projects that have been approved. It's estimated it will take two to three years to complete the regulatory review, design and construction phases of the pedestrian crossing project.

"The city has previously studied a number of high level options in order to provide required clearance above the river and address the desire for a structure that would not be disrupted by rail or train traffic," stated the report. "Unfortunately, the high level options were much more costly than city resources could support, required users to travel longer distance and climb high heights, and were physically and visually intrusive on surrounding neighbourhoods, and therefore were no longer possible."

The City of New Westminster will consult with residents in the coming months, including displays at the Quayside Boardwalk Festival and Sale and the Queensborough Community Centre opening ceremony.

The city will also post an information display at River Market and Westminster Pier Park, and make presentations to a number of community groups.

.. at the Newwest Newsleader:

Quote:
New Westminster pedestrian bridge options would have 'low-impact'

By Chris Bryan - New Westminster News Leader
Published: June 14, 2013 11:00 AM
Updated: June 17, 2013 9:52 AM

The city originally explored much higher bridge options—up to 70 feet above the water—due to the need to keep the channel clear for boat traffic.

At the time the city considered it the only route, because a swing pedestrian bridge, the city believed, would have to be left in the 'open' position for marine traffic, making the pedestrian bridge less user-friendly.

But Allison said in recent discussions with Port Metro Vancouver (PMV), the port said it might approve a bridge in a 'closed' default position.

"They kept the door open," Allison said. "They said 'show us you can make this safe… and we'll consider it."

Allison gave SRY credit for taking the initiative and generating some new options.

"They actually put up the engineers themselves to put these concepts together."

SRY has an operator at the rail bridge at all times when trains are running, and that person is in contact with both rail and marine traffic, Allison added.

When no operator is on duty, the bridge might have to be left in the 'open' position, so if the city wanted more staffing, it might need to negotiate for extended hours, he said.

"We'd certainly hope an operator would be present early in the morning to late in the evening."
http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/211586931.html

Swing Bridge Option.

http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/211586931.html

Drawbridge Option:

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 1:35 AM

Quote:
"The designs have no impact on existing boardwalks and park space and are designed to be fully accessible and facilitate safe, two-way access for both pedestrians and cyclists as well as light service vehicles. In the detailed design phase, the potential for facilitating ambulance access will also be studied."

Light service vehicles? Ambulances? ...does that mean there's a possibility that the bridge could accomodate a bus route as well? specifically, the Queensborough community shuttle route C98 could be combined with the Quayside community shuttle (C8) by routing over the bridge (consolidating two very low-use routes and making them both much more useful at the same time) Should be feasible as long as the delay while the bridge opens for marine traffic isn't too long...

Last edited by huenthar; Jun 20, 2013 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 1:42 AM

I think it would be more like a fire lane. I can't see a shuttle bus snowplowing pedestrians on a regular basis. People would, however, jump out of the way of an ambulance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure