HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Crescent Heights North in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 7:07 PM
New Yorker for life

ROSSLYN, VA | 1812 N. Moore | 390 FT | 30 FLOORS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092907525.html

Rosslyn tower set to rise soon

By Jonathan O'Connell
September 30, 2010

Quote:
New York-based Monday Properties plans to begin work soon on what it says will be the Washington area's tallest office building, a 30-story Rosslyn tower twice the height of the tallest office buildings in the District.

The building, planned for 1812 N. Moore St. and approved by the Arlington County Board two years ago, required special permission from the Federal Aviation Administration because of concerns about air traffic from Reagan National Airport.

Rising 390 feet, it will feature stunning views of the Mall, have a shimmering glass exterior and be one of the most energy-efficient buildings in Virginia. Construction is scheduled to start Oct. 14 and continue until early 2013.

Other than on Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Congress banned buildings of more than 130 feet in the District. But Rosslyn is not bound by the height limit. Rosslyn already boasts two of the region's tallest buildings, at 1000 and 1100 Wilson Blvd., also owned by Monday. Another developer, the JBG Cos., is planning a tower of nearly identical height down the block on North Moore Street that will feature an observation deck.

The two developers have a size-driven rivalry, with Monday issuing a news release calling 1812 North Moore "D.C.'s tallest building" and JBG marketing its project, Central Place, as "towering high above the Rosslyn Metro station - and the competition."

Anthony Westreich, Monday Properties president and chief executive, said companies in downtown Washington have realized that they can find less-expensive space with better views just across the river from Georgetown. As a result, he said, "you'll see many more D.C. tenants coming to the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor."

Because of lower operating expenses and real estate costs, Westreich said a company renting 200,000 square feet (about one-third of what Monday is planning) could save as much as $100 million over the course of its lease.

"You look at the economics of a 10- or 15-year lease, the savings are enormous," he said.

But perhaps most striking is Monday's decision to build now. The developer has no tenants signed for the building and, rather than trying to find banks or other lenders to share the risk of the $300 million project, is paying the first $30 million. Building speculative office buildings is what got many developers in trouble during the most aggressive years of the real estate boom.

But Westreich said the tenants, and the investors, would come once the project started. "We're in deep negotiations with five different tenants right now," he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 8:51 PM

Read about this the other day--very exciting to see something going again. Rosslyn was nice before the boom, but sooo much seemed to go up during the boom. The Silver Towers used to be alone but now have several other buildings in their height range... with this proposal and the Central Place towers, the skyline will have brand new focal points.

I really hope the Feds reconsider the height/development constraints put on Rosslyn... The height "limit" as is is 400', I don't see why 600-700' would be that bad?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 3:17 AM
BANNED

I walk by this site every single day. I'm so glad that something is finally happening here! There are several sites within the block directly around the metro exit that have remained undeveloped for years despite promising proposals. I'll have to start taking pictures of the progress soon. They're just repaved N. Lynn street right next door which is odd to me since they'll probably ruin some of the pavement during the construction progress...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 5:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
I'll have to start taking pictures of the progress soon.
Good, because this is going under construction very soon. It would be nice to have pics.

This site had it listed at 470 ft...probably older renderings.
http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...page67024.aspx

http://dcmud.blogspot.com/2010/05/ro...ed-towers.html

Also mentions the other tower:

Quote:
Across the street, JBG's equally reluctant Central Place project sits largely untouched with McDonald's bags but no construction debris. The 31-story, 535,000 s.f. building planned for the site will include 12,000 s.f. of ground floor retail in a 390-ft. glass curtain-wall mammoth. To top it all off, a 10,000 s.f. rooftop observation deck with distant views will open to the public.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 6:39 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

wow, good lookin' building! would look awesome with a few hundred feet added to the top (and wider of course).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
wow, good lookin' building! would look awesome with a few hundred feet added to the top (and wider of course).
That would just look goofy against the rest of Rosslyn's "skyline". This is a suburban low-rise just like everything else in the DC metro region.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 7:32 PM
Website Manager

Central Place looks pretty good too, and it will have a residential tower and an observation deck!

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=88962

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
That would just look goofy against the rest of Rosslyn's "skyline". This is a suburban low-rise just like everything else in the DC metro region.
Uh, I don't know about other people, but I wouldn't call this a "suburban low-rise"... it's almost 400' tall and while Rosslyn may play second fiddle to DC, it's still an urban district. I'd actually go so far as saying it's one of the most urban in the country (behind NYC, SFO, Boston, Philly, Chicago, and DC proper, obviously, and maybe another core city or two... but Rosslyn is actually very dense and very walkable). The only problem Rosslyn has is a lack of residential, IMO... which in turn is the reason why the area lacks "urban fabric" (aka street life). These new projects should certainly help, in that regard.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Uh, I don't know about other people, but I wouldn't call this a "suburban low-rise"... it's almost 400' tall and while Rosslyn may play second fiddle to DC, it's still an urban district. I'd actually go so far as saying it's one of the most urban in the country (behind NYC, SFO, Boston, Philly, Chicago, and DC proper, obviously, and maybe another core city or two... but Rosslyn is actually very dense and very walkable). The only problem Rosslyn has is a lack of residential, IMO... which in turn is the reason why the area lacks "urban fabric" (aka street life). These new projects should certainly help, in that regard.
I live here dude - l'm literally a 9 minute walk away from this site. My point was that it's designed like a suburban skyscraper just like everything else in the entire region - Bethesda, Silver Spring, Tysons Corner, you name it. And I have no idea what you're talking about with a lack of residential space...there's a brand new several hundred feet tall condo directly across the street from this proposal, and Rosslyn is ENTIRELY residential outside of the three blocks or so right around the metro... The only reason that it's quiet at night is because everyone goes into DC or up the street to Court House and Clarendon to go out.

Last edited by Don098; Oct 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Central Place looks pretty good too, and it will have a residential tower and an observation deck!

I love observation decks. They don't all have to be 1,000 ft up in the sky, just high enough to get a good look over the city and its buildings. In this case, the observation deck would be just about right.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
Website Manager

yeah, observation decks within buildings are pretty neat. American cities seem to have those, like in Seattle and Houston and others. here in Canada we have purpose built observation towers, but I can't think of a single skyscraper that has an observation deck.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 1:32 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post

Observation decks are always nice. I feel that it should be common courtesy when you erect a skyscraper that you include a observation deck :

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 7:29 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Exciting! I've long thought that Arlington ought to have a more iconic skyline to make up for DC's severe height restrictions. (I understand the reason they're there, but does anyone else think it ironic that our capital city hasn't got even one example of America's most influential contribution to architectural history? Can you just imagine how the city could've looked?)

I think this project is headed in the right direction, aesthetically. I love the pyramidal crown. One could suggest that it echoes the peak of the Washington Monument...

A new tallest for Metro DC! I sure hope it goes as planned.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 6:21 PM
cities|transit|croissants

In case folks don't know, Rosslyn is restricted from having taller skyscrapers due to the flight path of planes landing at National Airport.

In fact, the FAA used to impose an even shorter height limit on Rosslyn (300 feet), which Arlington County only recently negotiated up. That's why there are 3 buildings under construction now that all of a sudden push taller (Central Place has 2 towers, plus 1812).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 6:23 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
My point was that it's designed like a suburban skyscraper just like everything else in the entire region
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's shorter than what you'd find in Chicago. What else is suburban about it?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
In case folks don't know, Rosslyn is restricted from having taller skyscrapers due to the flight path of planes landing at National Airport.

In fact, the FAA used to impose an even shorter height limit on Rosslyn (300 feet), which Arlington County only recently negotiated up. That's why there are 3 buildings under construction now that all of a sudden push taller (Central Place has 2 towers, plus 1812).
Was looking for images of the skyline and just found these neat models...

http://dcmetrocentric.com/2009/09/30...iture-rosslyn/

It would be ideal if the next section of Rosslyn to be redeveloped was the area in the last pic below Central Place and above the GW... unless its proximity to the river would interfere with DCA.

I really hope they get the height limit raised again, Rosslyn really isn't that close to DCA...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 10:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

I found the Old Post Office bell tower to be one of the more enjoyable things I've done while I've been to DC.
Great views, and its only what, 100 feet?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 10:42 PM

oh, and FYI:

http://dcmetrocentric.com/2010/10/12...e-st/#comments

Quote:
This week marks the start on one of the most highly anticipated new buildings in the DC Metro area (or at the very least the tallest). This Thursday at 11:00AM Congressman Jim Moran and Arlington County Board Chair Jay Fisset, among other special guests, will join host Monday Properties for the ground breaking ceremony to officially start construction on 1812 North Moore Street in Rosslyn.
Also, the piece mentions it'll be 35 stories, not 30... but this should go into the under-construction forum tomorrow!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 4:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I found the Old Post Office bell tower to be one of the more enjoyable things I've done while I've been to DC.
Great views, and its only what, 100 feet?
Oh no, it's 315 feet tall

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 12:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
oh, and FYI:

http://dcmetrocentric.com/2010/10/12...e-st/#comments

Also, the piece mentions it'll be 35 stories, not 30... but this should go into the under-construction forum tomorrow!
Sounds like they'll be breaking ground, so not into construction just yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive