HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 2:06 AM

Shocking. We could see this coming a mile away, considering Ridout Bridge won't be open until probably after the Stanley Cup is awarded.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:06 PM
User Registered

Question is will this be built before the existing CN overpass rots away? I'm sure they're not pumping much $ (if anything) into upkeep since they thought it was going to be replaced last decade.

Don't look at the bridge much next time or else you'll see rust, cracks, swelled metal under the paint, crumbling concrete at the base, etc. Whenever I'm stopped under it I don't feel comfortable... only place driving in the city where I am queasy like that.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Shocking. We could see this coming a mile away, considering Ridout Bridge won't be open until probably after the Stanley Cup is awarded.

Coudn't rest sharing a topical meme

...I thought you were referring to Stanley Street initially

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 11:32 PM

Honestly, anyone who supported that old lady and let this project drag out should all feel ashamed of themselves. I also hope they are the people who get stuck on Wharncliffe everyday.

Makes me very angry. This project could've been done by 2018 at the latest, within budget. Now it's 10 years in until they finally start, and for sure prices will go up even more by then. All for a stupid ass house that literally has no value to it.

I'm sure the city will have the money to pay all the lawsuits when the bridge finally crumbles and crushes a bunch of people... and ironically it will be the same ppl who supported Nan.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 9:29 PM

The replacement of the CN bridge is now off the table until 2028 it seems.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...d-until-summer

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 10:29 AM

That seriously pisses me off. The bullshit this city did to get ahold of that house. Just look up the comments on this thread at the animosity some people felt towards Nan over this. And now they city is going to sit on it for potentially 10 years after taking that house? And we only find out as a "oh by the way..." at the end of a Free Press story about something else? Fucking bullshit.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:28 PM
User Registered

2028 at the earliest.

With the way housing prices have gone up, at least the city got a deal.

...But the cost of the project itself will just go up. Will the existing structure even last till 2028 or will it rust away? I would expect no maintenance work will be put into it since it is being replaced (one year anyway)

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 5:56 PM

I don’t know how much of a deal the city got, since they paid more than market value to buy it. I don’t remember the figures now, there might be something set up thread on it, but I doubt that house would sell for anywhere near what the city paid for it today. Plus 4 years of lost property tax revenue on it. I just don’t get why if the city wasn’t gonna move on this project when they bought the house why did they kick her out? They could’ve let her stay in the house for no rent still pay the taxes and utilities and then be further ahead, and it would’ve been one more house that somebody could’ve lived in. I’m shocked the thing has managed to stay standing for four years empty though.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
That seriously pisses me off. The bullshit this city did to get ahold of that house. Just look up the comments on this thread at the animosity some people felt towards Nan over this. And now they city is going to sit on it for potentially 10 years after taking that house? And we only find out as a "oh by the way..." at the end of a Free Press story about something else? Fucking bullshit.
Well the animosity is kinda deserved... if she just complied in 2015 when this all came to light, this would have never happened. She is solely responsible for holding up this entire project. I also blame all those Richmond Row Assholes who went against BRT and delayed that. Where was the strong mayor powers then, so Matt Brown could just approve the project and get it going way earlier? I will NEVER support any business on Richmond Row again. I hope all of them have to clean up homeless feces, puke and urine off their properties every single day.

All I know is I'm going to avoid Wharncliffe between that stretch until that bridge is fixed. I see something bad happening there way before 2028, and I don't want to be anywhere near it when it happens.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I just don’t get why if the city wasn’t gonna move on this project when they bought the house why did they kick her out?
Because the project was intended to begin much closer to that time. The delays (or at least the extent of delays) in the start of the project were not foreseen then. The land parcel is critical for staging project work and physical expansion of infrastructure. The project can't happen without it, and once they had an opportunity to get the land, they were going to move on it ASAP to avoid any complications in the future and threatening (the then much earlier) project start.

It's ironic that by happenstance unrelated issues ended up delaying the start of the project - but they weren't going to risk opening up a can of worms by allowing anyone to continue to live there until the project actually starts..

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 6:35 PM

The blame lands squarely on city council and administration. They dithered and debated and wasted so much time and money. They simply should have given her an above market value offer together with expropriation documents right from the beginning in the same envelope. If she chose to fight the expropriation legally that would have been quickly dealt with in court and resolved. Instead we had time wasted by council and administration talking about heritage and relocating the house. Cowardice and not wanting to look bad will cost the city two to 3 times as much as it should have and a wasted 10 years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure