HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:34 PM
Meh

Anyone know where this photo was taken?

I'd really like to see this view and photograph it.

http://www.xi-a.com/search.php?mod=i...txt=Austin+360

It wasn't taken from The South 5th, which is a condo in South Austin. If you notice, the orientation of the UT Tower is different.

http://www.thesouth5th.com/update-2009-04-07.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:15 AM

I'm wondering if the photo could have been taken from the Omni Southpark Hotel? My neighbor has attended a couple of conferences there and mentioned that the hotel has a hospitality room on the top floor.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:41 AM
BANNED

It looks like it was taken too far west to have been photographed from the Omni Southpark.

It looks like it may have been taken from the St. David's South Austin Medical Center.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 6:24 AM
Meh

No, it's definitely not the Omni Southpark. The view is way too far west for that to be the case.

I was wondering where that guyed tower in the image is. There's also a cell tower in the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnio
It looks like it may have been taken from the St. David's South Austin Medical Center.
I'm pretty sure that's not it either. I only live a half mile from the hospital and go up to the garage regularly for the view. There's a large hill on the other side of Ben White that partially blocks the view of downtown from that vantage point. The view is nice, but some of the buildings are blocked by it.

It might be from that ~7 story low income housing building (former Ramada Inn) along Ben White across from the South Austin Hospital, but I'm not sure. I don't see the train tracks in the shot, and they run almost right next to the building.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnio View Post
It looks like it was taken too far west to have been photographed from the Omni Southpark.

I agree. If you take 2 buildings that appear right in front of each other, you can draw a straight line using those two points... To me, it looks like the Hyatt and Frost are directly lined up together (or almost). That makes a line that runs close to parallel to S First street for some time, then west of it, and would intersect 290 right at about where South Austin Medical is.

Also, it looks like some sort of stadium/track light towards the bottom of the pic. That could be the lighting at the track at the Texas School for the Deaf (obviously looking close because of the zoom), a similar orientation of Frost, Ashton & Austonian can be seen along S First next to it here: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...,37.04,,0,1.46

There isn't much else the way of light poles like that along the line of sight indicated by the orientation. St. Ed's is too far east.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:06 AM
Meh

Here's the view from the South Austin Hospital garage. I took these last spring.

The hospital itself is to the right (east) of the garage, and so the hill to the right would block even more of downtown from the hospital's location. Also note the orientation of the UT Tower in relation to 360 in my photo compared to the one I'm asking about above.

Here are the rest of the photos from that thread.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=180712

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:45 AM
Meh

I guess it must be from the hospital itself. They must have taken it from one of the top floors or even the roof of the building. I used GoogleEarth to line up some structures. I'm pretty sure it was taken from the hospital. It had to have been from the upper floors, though, otherwise they couldn't have gotten above that hill.

Anyway, I haven't been back up to the garage since they added the two more floors. It's around 100 feet tall now which I believe is close to the height of the 2005 addition to the hospital. So maybe it'll be high enough to clear that hill and have a good view. I can sure see it from my neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 2:14 PM

Looks like it could have been further northeast with a wide angle lens.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:34 PM
passion for patterns

Maybe from a wide angle lens from the overpass near S. Lamar and Ben White? Maybe that's a stretch.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:46 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Maybe from a wide angle lens from the overpass near S. Lamar and Ben White? Maybe that's a stretch.
No, I think it's farther east than that.

And now that I looked again, I don't think it was taken from the South Austin Hospital tower either. I used GoogleEarth again. It has a feature that lets you plot a line between two points to create a sight line. In the photo, the UT Tower appears to the east (right) of 360. So I drew a line in GoogleEarth on the farthest east corner of the hospital up to the UT Tower. The line appeared to the west (left) of 360, meaning the UT Tower would appear to the left of 360 from that vantage point. It must have been taken from somewhere east of South First Street.

I'm thinking it was taken somewhere along South First, say within a block or two west of it between Oltorf and Ben White.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 1:09 AM
~Hook'em~

That is along S Second Street. That is the S 1st Moon Tower in there as well as one of the lights from the Texas School for the Deaf's Football field in the bottom right side there.

Last edited by BevoLJ; Mar 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 10:47 PM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
That is along S Second Street. That is the S 1st Moon Tower in there as well as one of the lights from the Texas School for the Death's Football field in the bottom right side there.
I 'm pretty sure dead people don't need a school specifically for themselves. On the other hand deaf people might.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 11:05 PM
~Hook'em~

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. But you know what field I was talking about.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 9:03 PM
Going Up ___///|||

I forgot the name of it, but I remember a year or so ago you took some pics from the top floor of some residential housing/apartment area somewhere in South Austin. You said the manager there was nice enough to let you up there. The first pics you took showed the infamous 290 sign, but there was a tree in the way. Later when you returned, the tree was cut down and you took some more pics. Just my guess anyways.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin