HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:33 PM
Development Shill

None of my comment implies you specifically targeted me. I even pluralized most of my statements... I was one of 5 people to say something so yeah... pardon me for assuming you are saying something in my direction (aka targeting my opinion, if not directly my person).

Regardless, I already stated I knew there was a blowthrough floor, but none of them highlighted how disrepectful it was to the design. If you think me dropping the grade of the building is me "casually wafting" then sure go with that. Also thanks for quoting me on something I said on this same page, as if I had forgotten my entire point? Ooof, what a zinger, ya got me. I've been bamboozeled.

Instead of mocking people's opinions, maybe add to the discussion sweetie, and add your own thoughts. Anyone can be sassy

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:57 PM

I don't think you can really judge the impact of the blow-through floor on the design until the thing is actually built.... some renderings show it being inoffensive to the design and others show it as being a sore thumb. We'll have to wait and see. The hysteria around it is unwarranted at this point.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 7:05 PM
1st Ward

I think a lot of the talk regarding the blow through floor was regarding the rendering in the link posted by r18tdi, in which it is much more apparent and glaringly ugly looking as compared to the elevation we all saw in the curbed article last July. We all knew about the blow through floor, but it just looks a lot more pronounced in that rendering. Again, hopefully that's just to satisfy demands from the building department, and will actually look more homogeneous and fluid with the rest of the building's facade when actually built.

I may be mistaken, and that rendering may have been posted already, but I haven't seen it in any recent posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I don't recall seeing this updated rendering of the blow-through floor from January (pg 3):
https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/gi...g_pds/PD70.pdf

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not sure why you seemingly always think comments are directed specifically at you

Perhaps BEFORE you post, you could, I dunno, go back some pages or even do a search on Curbed or the internet and see for yourself what changes have been made.

And while I like Gang's work, I'm not an apologist either - please understand the difference. Unlike you specifically (yes, this time you, Kumdogmillionaire) who casually wafts on their like/dislike of a building "Tower just went down for a 9/10 to a 6/10 instantly for me. Shame.." (quoting you).

Since Gang is not the AOR for this building (bkL is), their involvement with the design of the blowthrough floor may have been minimal, if nothing at all. If you feel the need to direct your design-rage at someone, the most likely culprit is bkL.
No, I can assure you that 100% of the form and all of the baggage that goes with properly designing a supertall with this form belongs solely with Studio Gang... once they were told that they needed to do this (something you would think an experienced designer would have already considered), SG did all of the design work...

BTW, I think that they might be having serious issues with the curtain wall... this is partly due to SG (design, after all) and partly Magellan ($)... explains the delay in installation...

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I don't think you can really judge the impact of the blow-through floor on the design until the thing is actually built.... some renderings show it being inoffensive to the design and others show it as being a sore thumb. We'll have to wait and see. The hysteria around it is unwarranted at this point.
Have you not been on this board before? Freaking out based on renderings or before something is even finished is about 2/3rds of the posts.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 9:35 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Sometimes though you can tell when the renderings are fudging how bad something will look.
The closeup rendering of the mech/blow-thru floor that they presented to the city shows that it's going to be a lot more visible than the whole building elevation renderings make it seem.

But yeah, we will wait and see. It might even look kind of good. But it will definitely interrupt the gradient which goes against a major design concept of the tower.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 10:49 PM

New video on Vista homepage shows building with the blowthrough floor illuminated. (I don't know how to post screenshots on here.) Maybe there is hope!

https://www.vistatowerchicago.com

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegalvvan94 View Post
New video on Vista homepage shows building with the blowthrough floor illuminated. (I don't know how to post screenshots on here.) Maybe there is hope!

https://www.vistatowerchicago.com

A couple screen captures from the promotional video:

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:20 PM

In video it shows blowhole lit up , have they changed the rules recently?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.._..

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:22 PM

^^also no shear walls

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:42 PM

I actually think it looks even better.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:49 PM
Ω

I do think it looks pretty cool when illuminated

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:51 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
^^also no shear walls
Yeah, that whole video is fake news. They show entirely lit-up rooms that physically cannot look that way. Smh

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
^^also no shear walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Yeah, that whole video is fake news. They show entirely lit-up rooms that physically cannot look that way. Smh
Actually the shear walls on the west side end where the middle portion of the tower ends and it's just columns for the last two frustrums.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 2:11 AM

I think everyone is worried for no reason. This will turn out better than renderings in the end i promise, or would you sassys rather have an empty lot and be stagnate like Phoenix?

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 2:19 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
I think everyone is worried for no reason. This will turn out better than renderings in the end i promise, or would you sassys rather have an empty lot and be stagnate like Phoenix?
Pheonix isn't stagnant by any means, whether you are quantifying it economically or by population growth. But yes, its skyline is mundane due to the sprawling, low density nature of the city's built environment.

Also, I take exception to being called a "sassy"

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 3:23 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Actually the shear walls on the west side end where the middle portion of the tower ends and it's just columns for the last two frustrums.
Bruh... the entire right tower in that rendering has fully windowed and lit rooms straight up the middle. That is impossible since the core of the building is there

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 9:49 PM

https://i.imgur.com/G6UtCRq.jpg

I find it extremely odd that there is no glass. Also it seems they set roughly 10 units of window wall and halted the unit setting. Is there an issue with the curtain wall?

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; May 14, 2018 at 4:39 PM. Reason: IMAGE TOO LARGE

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 11:40 PM

To take a quote from Deuce Bigallow

"THATS A HUGE BIT#&!!!"

Awesome pic

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:57 AM
Development Shill

There's no issue with the curtainwall. Last time I checked there was just a delay on the glass shipment and it's only now coming in

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture