HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Four Seasons Private Residences at 706 Mission in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 8:08 PM
BANNED

SAN FRANCISCO | 706 Mission St. (Mexican Museum + Condo tower) | 510 FT | 43 Floors

In as much as this could well be the next significant highrise to begin construction in San Francisco, I figured it needed a thread even though the design is not yet complete (hence, no rendering seems available)

Quote:
The developer and San Francisco Redevelopment Agency staffers are preparing an environmental impact report and negotiating a revised development agreement that will likely head to the redevelopment board in April. Senior Project Manager Amy Neches said she hopes to have entitlements wrapped up early next year with construction starting in late 2011 or early 2012 . . . .

The project calls for Millennium Partners…to build a condo tower on a site made up of a 9,000-square-foot parcel the Redevelopment Agency owns and a 16,000-square-foot parcel the developers bought in 2006. The tower would house a 35,000- to 40,000-square-foot Mexican Museum, which the developers will build at no cost to the museum. Both the museum and condo tower would be connected to the historic Mercantile Building at 706 Mission St., a 1903 structure that the developers would restore. The height of the residential tower, which is being designed by Mexican architect Enrique Norton’s TEN Arquitectos and San Francisco-based Glenn Rescalvo of Handel Architects, would likely be between 450 and 550 feet.
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...22/story1.html

The site:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...k_in_play.html

* Extra credit to first forumer who comes up with a rendering *

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 8:24 PM

I really want to see a rendering because 550ft on that small parcel should be interesting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
I really want to see a rendering because 550ft on that small parcel should be interesting.
Especially since Heller-Manus won't be involved.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 10:20 PM

Is that a helipad on the three story roof on the building to the left (kind of catty corner) to the parcel in question. Probably not but a weird design on the roof. If it is they can kiss it good bye with this building being built, too many up drafts.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 10:57 PM
BANNED

That building is the Westin Hotel. No helipad--just a design on the deck I think.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 3:18 AM

It's so great that they'll be getting rid of that awful yellow brick and restoring the historic building; it has such great potential! The mexican museum will really liven up jessie square as well!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 7:30 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Especially the brick at street level along Mission and 3rd. I can't wait to see how it used to look. Hopefully the ground floor will be as interesting and beautiful as the cornice on this building.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 2:29 AM

No doubt it will be! I love how tall this tower is going to be too. It'll cover up the back of the hideous westin market street hotel.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Another view of the site:

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...seumcondos.php

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 1:09 AM

its hard to tell from the description, but will this building just adjoin the mercantile building, or will it be built on top of as well as next to it?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Since the building is still being designed, nobody but those involved in its development knows for sure, but the assumption is that it will be like the St. Regis across the street. There the existing building was gutted and the the interior of the new tower was integrated with a new interior for the older structure, but no significant changes were made to the exterior of the historic building (except I believe the old cornice, thought to present a seismic risk, was replaced with something that looks identical but is less likely to fall off).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:39 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Almost a year later and now we have renderings! From SocketSite:

Quote:

While simply conceptual elevations at this point, we’re digging the direction the tower design is headed. And with respect to the proposed rehabilitation of the existing Aronson building, we're big fans of the proposed redesign for the building's north façade.
I agree with them on the tower. It has a massing reminiscent of the Embarcadero Center, whose massing I've always really liked, but more slender and with a hopefully more interesting skin. I'm also happy with the changes to the Aronson Building at street level. I'm not as enamored with the new design for the north side of Aronson. I would have liked to seen them go more traditional to match the rest of the building. But I'm guessing they wanted to use this as a transition from the historic building to the modern tower.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It sucks BT was banned. I know he'd be excited about this and I'd love to get his feedback on it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
It sucks BT was banned. I know he'd be excited about this and I'd love to get his feedback on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I don't usually follow SF stuff, but have communicated w/ BT in the transport forum. Why was he banned? When?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
^He created a sock-puppet account for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
BT has a lot more time on his hands to do other things now that he was banned. I miss his commentary as well, and was always amazed how prolific he was. He joined this forum about the same time I did, but I can barely claim 1/34 as many posts.
Now that this project is taking shape in reality, I find myself having trouble remembering what it's supposed to look like so I went w-a-a-a-a-y back to find a good rendering and came across all this back and forth. Some of you know this by now but some may not so I'll tell you straight out I am the missing one.

I was not banned for a "sock-puppet sccount" or any such. I'm actually not exactly clear why I was banned myself--different mods have given me different reasons--but I believe the primary one is that I sorely aggravated a certain one of them in the Skybar who did the banning. I won't bore you with the details and it would be too far off-topic besides, but my sentence was commuted some time ago though under this new name.

Anyway, the ravages of time have also made me less of a walker getting around town as I used to be and I'm also spending more time out of town so I can't do a lot of photography on my own. For that reason especially I do appreciate what the rest of you do. And this is one of the projects I'm most interested in because it essentially completes the redevelopment of Yerba Buena, something I've waited since the mid-1980s to see. And a former Director of the Mexican Museum also is a personal acquaintance so there's that too.

Please keep the photographic updates coming.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
...I went w-a-a-a-a-y back to find a good rendering and came across all this back and forth. Some of you know this by now but some may not so I'll tell you straight out I am the missing one...

Apparently so, but then again not really missing that is.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:17 AM
heavy user of walkability

sort of a strange one here... this is the future Third St sidewalk looking north from the corner with Mission, taken through a black mesh draping

and, it only sort of captures in photos, but the Aronson building really almost glows, they've done a nice job with the clean-up of the stone exterior. if someone could get there in the morning hours, that would probably be the best light to get it in. I'm usually a pretty hopeless night owl so doubt I will do it!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
sort of a strange one here... this is the future Third St sidewalk looking north from the corner with Mission, taken through a black mesh draping
Why's it strange or do you mean just the photo is strange because it's taken through the draping?

As we know because we walk on those metal doors in the sidewalk all the time (or some of us avoid walking on them), many buildings have basements that extend under the sidewalk.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 11:18 PM

Love the height. If built, this would be the tallest tower around Yerba Buena Gardens. I wonder if there will be any issues with shadows over Jessie Square. Looking forward to seeing more details in the future.

Here is the architects website for anyone who is interested http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 12:39 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^You know someone somewhere will have issues with shadows on something! But realistically, it would only partially shade the square in the early morning when it's usually overcast and few people are using the square anyway.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 1:07 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Love the height and narrowness, and I think the north side of the Aronson building would look good like that. Of course, what we end up with after the sausage-making process...well, that's another story.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive