HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Four Seasons Private Residences at 706 Mission in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 7:03 AM

This would be an awesome addition. This whole shadow thing is pretty rediculous. Honestly I could careless if buildings cast a shadow on a park. Can we get that law repealed?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 8:57 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
This would be an awesome addition. This whole shadow thing is pretty rediculous. Honestly I could careless if buildings cast a shadow on a park. Can we get that law repealed?
The law is very much needed at times--could you imagine Union Square with no sun? It just needs to be applied sensibly, which is certainly not always the case. It's a proven fact though that sunny areas attract people, and in a city with so much fog and shade, sunny areas are very welcome places to be.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The law is very much needed at times--could you imagine Union Square with no sun? It just needs to be applied sensibly, which is certainly not always the case. It's a proven fact though that sunny areas attract people, and in a city with so much fog and shade, sunny areas are very welcome places to be.
The beautiful thing about the sun- it moves! (which means shadows do too)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:37 PM
Sonoma Strong

how did i miss these new renderings!? nice massing - great rehab! can wait to see more detailed ones.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 9:27 AM

There has to be some new news here. It's been forever!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
There has to be some new news here. It's been forever!
The most recent thing I could find is planning document titled Notice of Preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (PDF) that was released on April 13, 2011. I take it that that means that they're preparing the actual Environmental Impact Report right now (maybe it'll be released by the end of the year?).

That document has lots of info about the project and is still calling for condominiums, which aren't very hot right now. This one still has a long way to go, it seems.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 11:52 PM
Only Mostly Dead

One tidbit of news on this:

Quote:
The Mexican Museum has won an $800,000 grant to design and develop its long-sought permanent home in the city’s Yerba Buena neighborhood.

Awarded by the California Cultural and Historical Endowment, the money will go toward drawing up plans for a 40,000-square-foot space, preparing construction documents and helping oversee the building process. Prominent Mexican architect Enrique Norten is designing the museum, whose collection includes 14,000 pieces of Mexican and Mexican-American art.

Last December, the city’s Redevelopment Agency awarded the museum $10.5 million. The project is expected to cost a total of about $14 million. It is tentatively scheduled to break ground in 2013 — and, if all goes according to schedule, open to the public in late 2016.
More at SFGate's City Insider blog.

Breaking ground in 2013 sounds about right based on minesweeper's note about the EIR getting prepared in April. Give it 12-18 months for completion, comment and approval, then permits, bids for contractors, etc and we'll be into 2013.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 9:09 PM

Great news. Here are some new renderings from Ten Arquitecos Website.

From http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 9:32 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Hmmm. I like the general approach and all those terraces near the bottom, but the materials look very 70's-ish. Hopefully, there will be more iterations of this. Nice find!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 9:41 PM
Metal Up Your !

No. No. No. Screams 70's, as peanut mentioned. Please no!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:12 PM

I like it, unique. I agree that it looks a bit 70s but that could just be the look of the renderings, and I'd rather it have character than some of the drab, boring renderings we often see.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:25 PM

i'm not positive but I think those are old renderings. I believe the design from Handel Architects is the newer proposal.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 3:59 AM

According to http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/ the Ten Arquitectos design is dated from 2006 as a "650' tall tower."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:19 PM

Sorry guys, just saw the images and forgot to read the fine print. Luckily, it didn't seem like many people were all that about enthusiastic about the old (2006) design.

Hopefully we'll get to see some updated renderings soon, and maybe some dirt being pushed soon after that.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 6:10 PM
Only Mostly Dead

No worries. I hadn't seen that before, so it was interesting to look at even if it's not current.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 7:58 PM

Hey, no problem San Frangelino. Thanks for posting it.

If you or anyone else has new or old information we haven't seen yet regarding 706 Mission, please continue to post it here. I would still want to see it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 9:37 PM

Yeah, no prob! I'm a nerd for renderings. I would love to see something like the base of those Ten Arquitecos renderings built somewhere in SF. Looks great.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:12 PM

Good news for the Mexican Museum and 706 Mission:

Quote:
San Francisco's Mexican Museum has joined the Smithsonian Institution orbit.

It is the only San Francisco museum to be named an affiliate of the Smithsonian, which is based in Washington, D.C., and is the largest museum in the world. By virtue of that collection, the Mexican Museum will be able to access the Smithsonian collections for future exhibits and on a long-term basis.
The announcement will be made public at a Jan. 31 press conference at the current Mexican Museum location at Fort Mason. Harold Closter, Smithsonian affiliation director, will be at the event to present the Mexican Museum with its certificate of affiliation.
The new relationship is a welcome development for the Mexican Museum, which has long been delayed in its plans to open a new museum in the Yerba Buena cultural district south of Market Street.
That dream of a new museum home is getting closer to realization. It will become part of Millennium Partners' mixed-use plan for 706 Mission St. In October, the Mexican Museum won an $800,000 grant from the California Cultural and Historical Endowment for planning and design.
Source and the rest of the article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ithsonian.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:32 PM

Wow, that's great news! Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:17 PM

Socketsite revealed new renderings today. I guess, with the right materials, it could be an attractive building, but it feels a little bland and dated, imo. Although, at 550', it will be the tallest tower in the immediate area (YBG).

Source: www.socketsite.com

Quote:
The 706 Mission Scoop: Design, Details And Timing For Museum Tower

As plugged-in people know, the proposed 550-foot tower to rise at 706 Mission Street would house the Mexican Museum on floors one to four with 43 floors of residential above.
The base of the building would cantilever slightly over Jessie Square at the third and fourth floors and employ a glazed aluminum curtain wall system "articulated with vision, masonry, metal, and/or spandrel panel façade elements.”
Plans for the adjacent historic Aronson Building call for new retail and restaurant space on the ground floor with museum space on the second and third floors and either residential or office space on floors four though ten.With respect to parking, the existing Jessie Square Garage would be converted from publicly to privately-owned to provide parking for the project with 260 spaces for tower residents and 210 spaces on the upper two levels remaining available to the public.
Source and more info: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive