HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Four Seasons Private Residences at 706 Mission in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 12:38 AM

i think building needs more glass, that last rendering looks so cheap and 90sh

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:49 PM

Like others have said, the renderings of this building leave a lot to be desired. I do like the fact that it will be the tallest in that cluster of buildings, but that could also make it stick out like a sore thumb.

Let's hope it looks better than the renderings.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 9:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The alternating vertical fenestration on the concrete (or stone?) portions just look out of place. The massing is great. They could easily fix the design by replacing that awkward fenestration with subtle alterations in the color and mullion treatment of the glass for each intersecting volume. Think California Plaza in LA but with more modern glass treatments.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 2:00 AM

I think its the striped glass that looks dated, although the choice of materials will make or break this tower.

However, at 550 ft I just want to jump up and scream, "Good God people! This is San Francisco, do you know how nearly impossible it is to build a tower this tall here!?!"

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 5:21 AM
testify

i'm glad that socketsite's post got us all talking about this one again (my guess is that he wrote it last week and set it to auto-publish) but we do realize that this thing is years and years away from anything like a shovel in the ground. it could be a decade or more, seriously. not to be a downer, you know, just to keep our expectations as clear-eyed as possible.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 10:58 PM

The latest on this project from Curbed:

The draft EIR "is up for a look before the Historic Preservation Commission this Wednesday, July 18."

Then, "the Planning Commission meets in August to look over the DEIR before sending it on to the Board of Supervisors."

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 10:07 PM

Millionaires vs. millionaires.

Quote:
Neighbors unhappy with high-rise condos at Mexican Museum

Residents of a tower full of multi-million-dollar condominiums complained loudly to the Planning Commission Thursday about plans for a 47-story tower that’s likely to be home to more multi-million-dollar condominiums. Oh, and the long-awaited Mexican Museum is also part of the debate, although you would barely have known it from the hearing.

The dispute is about plans for the new building at 706 Mission St., right at Third Street. Since 1993, the site has been tagged as the new home for the Mexican Museum, now in temporary housing at Fort Mason Center. Plans currently call for the museum to take up the first four floors of the new building and two floors of the adjoining — and ultimately connected — Aronson Building, with the 191 residential units on the next 43 floors of the tower.

But at the hearing on the draft environmental impact report on the new building, people from the pricey condominiums atop the Four Season Hotel at 765 Market St., joined by their attorney and transportation consultant, complained bitterly that the new building would bring more people and traffic into the area, making their lives — and those of people walking or driving in the area — miserable.

The new construction is “ill-conceived” and “unthinkable, one of the Four Seasons residents said. Just as a bit of information, the cheapest condominium now on sale at that building goes for better than $2 million, with one unit last year selling for $7.2 million.
Source and article.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 1:02 AM

This is beyond ridiculous. They live in the heart of downtown San Francisco, of course the area is busy, and one new tower is not going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever. And if it did, so what? The area was busy before these Four Seasons whiners were there, is busy now, and will forever be busy. Not to mention the hypocrisy of these relatively new highrise dwellers (the Four seasons is only a decade old itself) complaining about other potential highrise dwellers going in right next door.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 1:18 AM
Only Mostly Dead

You can almost guarantee that every Four Seasons resident that is complaining lives on the southern side of the building. This is about views and nothing more. Between this and the theater of the absurd playing out around 8 Washington, we need a new term: NIMVie (Not In My View). They never talk about their real issue though, just ridiculous things like adding one building downtown will make walking in the area "miserable." They should have been laughed right out of the hearing.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
You can almost guarantee that every Four Seasons resident that is complaining lives on the southern side of the building. This is about views and nothing more. Between this and the theater of the absurd playing out around 8 Washington, we need a new term: NIMVie (Not In My View). They never talk about their real issue though, just ridiculous things like adding one building downtown will make walking in the area "miserable." They should have been laughed right out of the hearing.
Yeah I suspect it's really about views too, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. But it doesn't really matter, because whatever their reasoning is it's stupid. I hope they don't get far with their opposition, but knowing how 8 Washington went, I'm worried.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:53 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Yeah I suspect it's really about views too, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. But it doesn't really matter, because whatever their reasoning is it's stupid. I hope they don't get far with their opposition, but knowing how 8 Washington went, I'm worried.
Don't give them the benefit of the doubt--I agree with peanut--it's all about views and nothing more.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 9:50 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I'll second (or third) this. Its just what I was thinking. Views and shadows is what its always been about, and its what it will always be about.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:10 PM

This is just embarrassing. They live one block from Union Square and Moscone Center, and this is the building that will make the traffic unbearable?

Hopefully this is just standard operating procedure for these hearings. I know the planning commission approves lots of things despite outspoken opponents speaking at board meetings.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 7:07 PM

John King weighs in on the proposed tower and says that Jessie Plaza "could be overwhelmed" by the building.

I visited Seattle last week, and saw a building that bore a distinct resemblance to the proposed tower. The Russell Investments Center (north elevation) looked a lot like this proposal.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 6:38 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That does look similar. King wants every tower to be shorter. It's his go-to critique for every single highrise that gets proposed.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:23 AM

The one is Seattle is pretty awful. I hope they don't build this one if it looks like that, not because it's too tall. I can't think of a better place to build a tall building. Jessie Square overwhelmed, c'mon, that's a laugh.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 11:04 PM

Not a huge update, but here are a couple new renderings from Millennium Partners' website:

Source: www.millenniumptrs.com

Source: www.millenniumptrs.com

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 11:25 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^Slick renders. I hope this gets built.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 1:08 AM

I really hope this tower gets built too. The new renderings are nice.

I know the Westin Hotel and some residents of the Four Seasons want to stop this tower from getting built, because it would block a lot of southern views, and I hope they get nowhere with that plan. It always bugs the hell out of me when occupants of one skyscraper want to keep another skyscraper from getting built, because of lost views. What the hell do they think their own skyscrapers did when they were built? Blocked other people's views! How do you move into a skyscraper in a downtown area and then expect that no other skyscrapers will ever be built near you?

Ok, rant over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Is there a United Statesian museum in Mexico City
I think you mean "American" museum. And why do you have a problem with a museum that's focused on Mexico?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:37 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That tangent aside, it's funny you posted those here 1977 because just yesterday I was looking over this thread again. I had noticed this article about the historic low inventory of available residential in San Francisco, which I thought might spur some of the larger proposals to get off the ground. If I recall correctly, several of the Rincon Hill developments are further along but for some reason this is the one I thought about first.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive