HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 2:59 AM

jlousa and SFUVancouver, I'm a little skeptical about ceding control over my internet to my (probably non-technical) neighbours. Especially since Novus is pretty great and available in new buildings anyway.

Included internet service would be nice if it was simply a negotiated lower price for the building and you could opt out, but otherwise I'd pass.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 3:12 AM

Well, our outdoor pool is used several months of the year (not a few weeks) and used extensively. The hot tub is year round. And our gym is well used. I would hate a coffeebar. And I live in Surrey. Why would a Vancouverite want a coffeebar when they leave their building and within a few steps a perfectly good coffeeshop exists?

And I would not want a 24-hour office space. I can see one resident who is setting up an office using that fax machine and the rest of the strata pays for it.

Although not a unique amenity, I love those theatre rooms (Polygon builds some really nice ones).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 2:01 AM

I walked by a condo here in Toronto the other night that had a pretty cool amenity on its ground floor; a half-court basketball hoop. There were floor to ceiling windows facing the street and the double-height space was adjacent to the weight room/gym. There were half a dozen guys playing a pretty intense game inside and I thought it was pretty neat. It has to be one of the cheapest amenities to add to a building and requires virtually no maintenance. Plus it strikes me as one of the better social amenities to let residents actually meet and get to know their neighbours.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:31 AM

The Waterworks project has squash courts - probably one of the only projects that has them - and it's a low maintenance as you can get - a room with painted lines.

WRT outdoor pools - one of the reasons Whistler condo strata fees are high is due to the year round operation of outdoor hot tubs for apres-ski soaks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues