HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Laval University (Fr: Université Laval), in Quebec City, is the oldest centre of education in Canada, founded in 1668.
Oldest English University.... my bad.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:42 PM

More nonesense...

I own a 30 foot sailboat and Boston is a two day sail from Saint John. Even when my father a young boy, there were 6 or 7 boats a day going back and forth between Saint John and Boston.

Halifax, isolated? You must be out of your mind. New York and Boston must also be isolated too then I guess. If Saint John and Halifax are so "isolated" I don't think the cruise industry would be economically viable. But wait.

Saint John

Halifax

www.visionairservices.com

St. John's? Where did I say St. John's was part of the Maritimes? You are obviously not from the Maritimes if you don't know the difference between Saint John and St. John's.

Oh, and the St. Lawrence seaway is the reason why the ports of Saint John and Halifax are growing at an incredible rate. Here's another article for you to read.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i...st_seaway.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Thanks for the read, but are you able to provide a relevant essay as to why Central Canada is 'unlike' the U.S., as you've claimed?

Central Canada's pattern of colonisation is more akin to New England than the Maritimes. If this troubles you, perhaps you could vent your rage by screaming at a map of the Maritime peninsulas and islands that make New England-type colonisation impossible for the Maritimes.

Halifax may have been a major port back then, but even back then it was isolated. York/Toronto was connected to Hamilton to the west -- Montreal and Quebec City to the east. These connections, which were and still are an economic advantage, were short distance, easily navigable, and cheap -- compared to long distance, expensive travelling on potentially rough seas all the way around the peninsula of Nova Scotia in order to reach the nearest major port of Saint John, from Halifax.

Boston is even further away. And U.S. protectionism would have isolted Nova Scotia regardless, because even if Nova Scotia hadn't joined Canada it was still part of British North America. Joining the U.S. was never seriously considered, especially since Halifax was built-up to resist America, militarily.

And indeed, I enjoy how this essay reflects what I've said about industries not moving out of the Maritimes. Investment in the Maritimes stifled -- not closing factories immediately, if at all (as your list of 'firsts' is concerned) -- as expansions of industries bloomed in Central Canada. It is this level of industrial development that never took hold in the Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI.

St. John's, by the way, is part of Atlantic Canada, not the Maritimes

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
And Montreal had the first YMCA. From YMCA canada's website:

http://www.ymca.ca/en/who-we-are/his...ilestones.aspx

And the bank of Montreal, 1817, is the first Bank founded in canada.

sorry, SJTOKO, but your bombastic homerism is rather comical

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_New_Brunswick

Three years later and it was chartered, which trumps your claims.

And this is from the YMCA's website.

•Agnes Blizzard organizes the first Canadian YWCA in two rented rooms in Saint John, New Brunswick. Other associations are quickly established: Toronto - 1873, Montreal - 1874, Quebec City and Halifax - 1875.

http://ywcacanada.ca/en/pages/national/history

So you're completely wrong...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:14 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The YMCA and YWCA are two different things. The YWCA was a women's version of the male-only YMCA.

Also, as far as Halifax being isolated, we were much closer to Europe, which at the time was more important to British NA than it is today. And it was also connected to Truro, and the Bay of Fundy by the Shubie Canal which allowed freight to avoid the long detour around the peninsula.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 6:49 PM
Hmm....

Are we really going to go on playing what ifs? Back to skylines maybe?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTOKO View Post
More nonesense...

I own a 30 foot sailboat and Boston is a two day sail from Saint John. Even when my father a young boy, there were 6 or 7 boats a day going back and forth between Saint John and Boston.

Halifax, isolated? You must be out of your mind. New York and Boston must also be isolated too then I guess. If Saint John and Halifax are so "isolated" I don't think the cruise industry would be economically viable.
I don't care about your father's history, nor do I care about boats you own. This has nothing to do with the disadvantages of navigation through potentially ill-weathered sea waters between long-distanced ports during colonial times -- compared to naval travels between more proximal ports along a more easily navigable river.

Compared to the Canadian municipalities along the St. Lawrence, and compared to the American municipalities along the Altantic Seaboard, Halifax is isolated.

Modern, faster ships make this isolation less extreme, obviously -- but modern, fast ships is certainly not what existed during the 18th century.

During the 18th century, travelling between any of the cities of Upper and Lower Canada would not take as much time (nor the risk and expenses) as travelling from Halifax to Boston required.

Quote:
St. John's? Where did I say St. John's was part of the Maritimes? You are obviously not from the Maritimes if you don't know the difference between Saint John and St. John's.

Oh, and the St. Lawrence seaway is the reason why the ports of Saint John and Halifax are growing at an incredible rate. Here's another article for you to read.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i...st_seaway.html
The context of our discussion was always the Maritimes, particularly your original post You should try a little more to stay on topic, especially when it's your own topic.

And concerning your link: No thank-you. I will wait for you to find that essay about Central Canada not being like the U.S....

Happy hunting.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Travel in Upper Canada was much harder in the 18th century. There was no single navigable waterway connecting the Great Lakes to the St. Lawrence. There were few roads and land travel was harder than travel by sea back then. Even by 1850 or so Atlantic Canada's population was pretty close to Ontario's, so it's a bit questionable to claim that Halifax or Saint John were out in the boonies back then (they were also each about as populated as Toronto at that time and were more established cities).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Look at me!

Quote:

So you're completely wrong...
No, because you were talking about the YWCA. I was talking about the YMCA.

All I'm saying SJTOKO is that you were pretty quick to point out 'firsts' when it seems apparent now that you've done very little research to prove your claims.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Travel in Upper Canada was much harder in the 18th century. There was no single navigable waterway connecting the Great Lakes to the St. Lawrence. There were few roads and land travel was harder than travel by sea back then. Even by 1850 or so Atlantic Canada's population was pretty close to Ontario's, so it's a bit questionable to claim that Halifax or Saint John were out in the boonies back then (they were also each about as populated as Toronto at that time and were more established cities).
I have not once stated Halifax's or Saint John's population as evidence of their isolation. I am merely speaking in terms of distance and the require time, risks and expenses, of travelling by water to the nearest ports. The Central Canadian water route to which I'm referring only involves Lake Ontario's outflow into the St. Lawrence.

Travelling from York/Toronto to Sandwich/Windsor was certainly an entirely different undertaking.

I wonder how different Windsor would be today if Niagra Falls wasn't there, and instead permitted smooth sailing upstream...

Since the British had firm control over the Great Lakes before the Americans, which was an asset to us during the War of 1812, an easier route to Sandwich could have meant Canada's success in holding Detroit, and the entire state of Michigan, within the Dominion.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Compared to the Canadian municipalities along the St. Lawrence, and compared to the American municipalities along the Altantic Seaboard, Halifax is isolated.
It's no secret that central Canadians don't notice anything east of Quebec City, but you're way off the mark. Halifax isn't isolated at all, its just off your radar. Not only was Halifax settled and established before Toronto, but it's the closest major port to Europe on the sea route, and owes its early existence for being strategically located. The British didn't consider Halifax isolated, but a key holding on the eastern seaboard.

If it were isolated, trade and transportation wouldn't be the important industries that they are in Halifax. Halifax is closer to Boston than Toronto is.

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I am only partly aware of the things RyeJay has been espousing of late. He is the only member of this forum that I have placed on my personal ignore list. As such, the only time I see any of his drivel, it's because somebody else has quoted him.

I have little use for him. He goes out of his way to be confrontational, outrageous and provocative. He has delighted in insulting New Brunswick and the cities of Moncton and Saint John. In my experience, he feels no problem in insulting others as well. He loves to get a reaction out of people. I see that he has turned the "outsiders views of Canada" thread into a personal treatise on the wonders of bisexuality. Talk about getting off topic! I would pay no attention to what he has to say isaidso.

It was one of my better recent decisions when I put him on my ignore list. If anyone on the forums deserves to be banned, it's him!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 2:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's no secret that central Canadians don't notice anything east of Quebec City, but you're way off the mark. Halifax isn't isolated at all, its just off your radar. Not only was Halifax settled and established before Toronto, but it's the closest major port to Europe on the sea route, and owes its early existence for being strategically located. The British didn't consider Halifax isolated, but a key holding on the eastern seaboard.

If it were isolated, trade and transportation wouldn't be the important industries that they are in Halifax. Halifax is closer to Boston than Toronto is.
What does Toronto's distance to Boston have to do with anything? We're talking about Halifax and its distance to other major ports (such as Boston), compared to the distance between Central Canadian cities (which has obviously boosted their population/economies during colonial times because of this incredible ease and speed of trade -- by comparison to Halifax).

I'm not trying to slap a label onto Halifax with the most stereotypical sense of 'isolation'. Again, this is only a comparison.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 4:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Yet another thread fail. Might I suggest that people consider the thread title before getting into how the maritimes got screwed by central canada, and where was the first YWCA west of the Azores and north of Nantucket, etc.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 11:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agreed!

To get this thread back on topic, I'll repost this image of one of Canada's more interesting middle sized cities. This was posted earlier today on the Saint John thread.

Cruise ships in Saint John Harbour, with the Bay of Fundy fog in the background.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:17 AM
BANNED

The increased presence of cruise ships will help Saint John's economy, which is currently struggling. The region still has a diversity of industries, though a criticism is that these industries are not paying their fair share in taxes. As well, Saint John has copious amounts of sprawl it must pay to maintain, which has turned out to be quite unsustainable, especially for such a small city. To attract younger working demographics, as well as to make any efforts toward meeting the high demand in the urban residential market, the city is making some progress with bringing density to its core.

I wish Saint John success in their downtown revitalisation efforts. Their waterfront is certainly enjoyable.

I look forward to the day when the city passes the 130,000 population mark. It is New Brunswick's largest city, after all.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yet another thread fail. Might I suggest that people consider the thread title before getting into how the maritimes got screwed by central canada, and where was the first YWCA west of the Azores and north of Nantucket, etc.
Exactly.

All because someone wondered how much of an impact the Halifax explosion had on the city's population so I decided to figure it out and then it just went from there so I guess it was at least partly my fault.

Let's get back to city skylines.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 12:34 AM

well lets get the thread back on the rails here

Here's a nice, what appears to be early-morning shot of downtown St. John's, which includes new construction of the 12-storey 351 in the foreground, and 12-storey Fortis Place near the far left. Props to Singalhillhiker for this one.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
BANNED

^Why doesn't the building on the left have a crane?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 1:34 AM
ARTchitecture

I think their is a crane over Fortis Tower now. They were using crawler cranes for a while.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 2:05 AM
User Registered

London

From the Roof by Matthew Trevithick Photography, on Flickr

Crappy quality, but great photo nonetheless.

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada