HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 9:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Yeah. Both expire sometime in 2015.

L'Oreal, source: "The company’s current HQ is at the Emery Roth-designed 575 Fifth Avenue, but the lease expires in 2015...

...none of the sizeable blocks of space on the market right now would seem to suit such a glamorous tenant as L’Oreal (think 3 Columbus Circle’s small floorplates or 11 Times Square’s Eighth Avenue locale). But with its sights set as far off as 2015, there’s always the first tower at Hudson Yards. If it’s good not enough for Coach, maybe it’s good enough for Liliane Bettencourt."

Viacom, source: "... Viacom’s renewal extends the lease through mid-2015..."
L'Oreal and Viacom can get two-year lease extensions. No large tenant will be banging down the door of either landlord for the relatively obsolete space that both companies occupy. Thus, the landlords likely will welcome extensions.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:12 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

from this morning

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Potentially coming to the spur at the Hudson Yards...

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...koonss-vision/

High Line May Mix Past With Koons’s Vision

By LISA W. FODERARO
March 26, 2012

Quote:
Visitors to the High Line, the elevated park on a formerly derelict rail line, might someday be greeted by a vision even more improbable than the park itself, which has become one of Manhattan’s top tourist draws: A massive locomotive dangling from a crane.

The sculpture, by Jeff Koons, would be a full-size replica of a 1943 Baldwin 2900 steam locomotive. Called simply “Train,” it has not yet been fabricated. The Los Angeles County Museum of Art has conducted its own feasibility studies for the project and is still exploring the possibility of acquiring the artwork, which is estimated to cost at least $25 million to create and install.

But Mr. Koons, a polarizing artist whose most famous public sculpture is perhaps his 43-foot-tall flower-covered puppy, has recently been in talks with Robert Hammond and Joshua David, founders of the nonprofit conservancy Friends of the High Line. The group, which fought to save the railway from demolition and now manages the park, will honor Mr. Koons at its annual benefit in May. Mr. Hammond said that Friends of the High Line had long sought to highlight the park’s rail history. Once before, in 2008, the group considered the “Train” sculpture for a plaza at 10th Avenue and 18th Street, but the work was too big to fit there.

One possible location for the sculpture is the northern end of the second section, at 10th Avenue and 30th Street. A rendering shows the 70-foot locomotive suspended vertically from a crane above the park. It is a potentially menacing image in a city that has had its share of crane accidents. But “Train” would employ a gyroscope to stabilize the sculpture to prevent it from swaying.

Mr. Hammond speculated that Los Angeles and New York could both eventually wind up with Mr. Koons’s train replicas, an idea he found appealing. “There’s some symmetry in this sort of transcontinental rail idea,” he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Potentially coming to the spur at the Hudson Yards...

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...koonss-vision/

High Line May Mix Past With Koons’s Vision

By LISA W. FODERARO
March 26, 2012
Hahaha insane idea!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:03 AM

To be honest, i don't really like that idea. The only problem i have is the crane,it would look wicked cool if they just put that same old fashion train on the high line, that would would make it seem less like a construction zone in a way, cause thats the feeling i get when i see a crane. But i do like the idea of having one in NY and one in LA

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
To be honest, i don't really like that idea. The only problem i have is the crane,it would look wicked cool if they just put that same old fashion train on the high line, that would would make it seem less like a construction zone in a way, cause thats the feeling i get when i see a crane. But i do like the idea of having one in NY and one in LA
It's bloody horrible, I hope that doesn't go ahead. The crane would just look terrible. Silly LA artists, typical!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:58 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:01 AM

Fantastic pictures, and two takeaways--

1) The Coach Tower looks oddly like the BofA Tower (sans spire) in those models.

2) The hotel proposal (to the west of the North Tower and to the NW of the resi proposal) looks like it could be in the 900-1000' range as well.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
2) The hotel proposal (to the west of the North Tower and to the NW of the resi proposal) looks like it could be in the 900-1000' range as well.
Yeah, I was just thinking it looks pretty tall. Not surprising that it would be though, with everything else. I would put it in the 800 to 900 ft range. Those other "placeholder" buildings just show that the complex won't stand alone in the area, but oddly there are no placeholders for Manhattan West. That would probably ruin the overall model presentation though, as the two projects compete for tenants and supremacy in that corner of Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:10 AM

I like the sculpture. It has a dangerous feel to it, especially with the crane.

source

It makes me think of Rene Magritte.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:39 AM
New Yorker for life

In this version of the model, that hotel is certainly over 1,000 ft.

MIPIM_World

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:52 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:35 PM
Astorian

Those models look fantastic! Just seeing them is getting me more and more excited for construction to begin on the Coach Tower and then the rest! They have the potential to become some of my favorite new towers in Manhattan.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:44 PM

The hotel does look to be ~1000 feet in that model. Fingers crossed....

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reencharles View Post
Hahaha insane idea!
That would be cool to look at, but I could see a lot of complaints about it being a distraction to drivers.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
New Yorker for life

I don't know why everything has to turn into a battle around here, but control yourselves, please.

Back to the topic at hand, we talk a lot about this project being the northern terminus of the hugely popular High Line Park, as it will be. But there is hardly any talk of the fact that it will be the southern terminus of the planned Hudson Park and Boulevard, and it's being designed as such. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with no visible presence of the park yet (the City begins work on it this year), but I believe it will become very popular, like the High Line itself. So, in effect, the railyard development will become the epicenter of two new great Manhattan parks.

(For illustration, an image of the Hudson Park & Blvd)

http://www.hydc.org/includes/site_im...bridge_big.jpg

Shown here, a look at the planned park and it's natural extension to the railyards site.

If the mixed-use tower does end up being at 1,000 ft or more, there is the potential for at least 7 1,000 footers aligned in direct proximity along the planned park/boulevard.
More if you want to throw in the Manhattan West proposal.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:42 AM
World Machine

This is going to be an unbelievable transformation once all is realized - a Battery Park City for the 21st only on a grander scale.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:14 PM
BANNED

There's a large plot just north of the Yards on the E. side of the new park. I wonder if that an interesting tower will sprout there! Looks like it could be even bigger than the N. Tower plot.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
There's a large plot just north of the Yards on the E. side of the new park. I wonder if that an interesting tower will sprout there! Looks like it could be even bigger than the N. Tower plot.
The site just to the north (between 33rd and 34th) is zoned for the largest office tower in the Hudson Yards district. That doesn't mean it would be the tallest, but the potential is there. Whatever the design, its just north, or accross the street from the tallest, 1,292 ft Related tower.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 4:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The site just to the north (between 33rd and 34th) is zoned for the largest office tower in the Hudson Yards district. That doesn't mean it would be the tallest, but the potential is there. Whatever the design, its just north, or accross the street from the tallest, 1,292 ft Related tower.
Amazing. I wonder who owns that plot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive